More than 200% 0 0%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Home value as a percentage of net worth
Old 12-02-2006, 08:04 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
Midwest, going on 14th yr of ER - or at 63 maybe regular retirement but still young at heart.

69k mortgage on 85k house, 1.2 mil net worth tossing in junk - house, timberland, vehicles, etc.

Heh heh heh - not on any coast nor waterfront.
Why such a high mortgage on a 85K house? The interest rate must be incredibly favorable. Just wondering..........

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2006, 08:17 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpliny
Guess I'm seeing things from the northeast perspective where houses are $400-500k with retirement still many years away. :
I sold my 1800 sq ft house for a whopping $156K a couple of years ago. 10X that amount is not so much for retired folks.

Audrey

Old 12-02-2006, 08:20 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Strictly emotional - non rational decision.

Post Katrina - after three weeks a hotel room with three women, a dog and a cat got old. Prefering to rent - the pickings were slim - so bought quickly once the decision not to go back to LA was made.

heh heh heh - 5.75% and NO! I don't wish to regurgitate the pay off the house or carry the mortgage debate. Pencil me in for rent - even though I don't practice what I preach.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:27 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Well Mick, having a mortgage is kinda like renting.

Sam, your poll is interesting. You know by now though that we have people here who argue about everything and polls for some reason are especially subject to criticism. Even the pollmeister Dantien hardly does polls anymore. I rather like them; they lead to interesting discussions and a view of a snippet of the world.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 08:33 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Well Mick, having a mortgage is kinda like renting.

Sam, your poll is interesting. You know by now though that we have people here who argue about everything and polls for some reason are especially subject to criticism. Even the pollmeister Dantien hardly does polls anymore. I rather like them; they lead to interesting discussions and a view of a snippet of the world.
I totally agree with the polls making for interesting discussions. I for one like them as well and based on the number of respondents it seems like a lot of folks share our views.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:21 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The poll results seem bogus...the large majority of posters have net worth 3 to 10 times their house value?
Your situation is one of your own doing! You choose to live in an expensive home while you have few other assets because that's what you want. Many of us made different decisions. That's hardly bogus.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:17 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Your situation is one of your own doing! You choose to live in an expensive home while you have few other assets because that's what you want. Many of us made different decisions. That's hardly bogus.
Well, I guess it depends on how you look at it. If my house is worth $500k and my net worth is $1M, I'd be at 50% in the poll. Someone with a house worth $200k and net worth of $600k would be at 30% in the poll, but not as well off financially.

On a side note, I was born and raised on long Island and have no reason to leave the area. Cost of living is high, but so is relative pay.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:59 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
The poll results seem bogus...the large majority of posters have net worth 3 to 10 times their house value?
Yes - and as the "value" of my home goes down, and the "value" of my investments go up, it will even be more of a "spread" (in other words, it really dosen't mean anything! :)

- Ron
Old 12-02-2006, 12:14 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron'Da
Yes - and as the "value" of my home goes down, and the "value" of my investments go up, it will even be more of a "spread" (in other words, it really dosen't mean anything! :)

- Ron
Ron,

I wonder where you're located or what type of home (manufactured?) that you anticipate the market value of your home declining. I ask because in another thread currently going on there is duscussion of living in inexpensive manufactured homes and the impact of their depreciation as opposed to appreciation with stick-built homes.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:18 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, I guess it depends on how you look at it. If my house is worth $500k and my net worth is $1M, I'd be at 50% in the poll. Someone with a house worth $200k and net worth of $600k would be at 30% in the poll, but not as well off financially.
So....... how does this make the "poll results seem bogus" as you said?
Old 12-02-2006, 12:23 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Ron,

I wonder where you're located or what type of home (manufactured?) that you anticipate the market value of your home declining. I ask because in another thread currently going on there is duscussion of living in inexpensive manufactured homes and the impact of their depreciation as opposed to appreciation with stick-built homes.
Live in NE USA (about 90 miles from NYC); 2400 sq ft 2-story Colonial. Existing homes (not new) in this area have dropped 5% year-over-year (according to the local sales stats).

Just so happens that me/DW (in our "early years") did live in a mobile home (single-wide), back in the early '70's. Didn't own the land it was on (however, luckly enough not to be in a park, but a country setting). Kept it four years, sold it for 55% of the original purchase price (and I thought I was doing well!).

- Ron
Old 12-02-2006, 12:39 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

It's easy to criticize the "poll design", but I've found this to be a worthwhile thread/poll.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:39 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I was also supprised at the results.... but hey... I'm one of them too.
People here either live in cheap houses or a have lot of money or both.

Old 12-02-2006, 04:38 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
My question was first stupid, then meaningless. Now you tell me what I should be asking!

If it was stupid and meaningless, why are you still around inputting your thought? Is it possible that you like to be around stupid and meaningless people so you'd feel comfortable? Well, I don't like to be around or dealing with people I don't like, and that's you. If you did not know why the question was asked that way, the best thing was to inquire as opposed to jumping to the conclusion.
To clarify, I did not call "you" stupid or meaningless and would never call people names. The comments were directed to my view of the poll because market value has no relationship to net worth without knowing the equity component for comparison.

However, you are right. I could have instead asked why the question was being asked that way and I could have done so politely. For that, I apologize to you personally and to the readers of this forum for the distractions. I will be more tactful in the future.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:36 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
Strictly emotional - non rational decision.
heh heh heh - 5.75% and NO! I don't wish to regurgitate the pay off the house or carry the mortgage debate. Pencil me in for rent - even though I don't practice what I preach.
Your honesty and straigth forward attitude is refreshing. I like your style. (Where is that Thumb Up symbol?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout
I totally agree with the polls making for interesting discussions. I for one like them as well and based on the number of respondents it seems like a lot of folks share our views.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawaredave
It's easy to criticize the "poll design", but I've found this to be a worthwhile thread/poll.
Thank you all.

I believe that the house value is directly proportional to the housing expense. All things being equal a 500K house costs about twice as much to live in as a 250K house. This includes opportunity cost, tax, utilities, maintenance and repair (Justin, you read my mind!)

Given the nature of this forum, I expected the majority of members here live in a house that is 10 to 20% of their networth, and the poll results seem to agree with my guess. I'm in the next higher bracket (21 to 30%), but am working to get to 15% by the time I retire.

Thank you all for participating.

Justin, you're right that the percentage is high for young people. I could have included a "For older people only" restriction, but chose not to, in order to see the whole spectrum. Thanks for your vote and for the explanation.

Old 12-03-2006, 06:52 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Your honesty and straigth forward attitude is refreshing. I like your style. (Where is that Thumb Up symbol?)

Thank you all.

I believe that the house value is directly proportional to the housing expense. All things being equal a 500K house costs about twice as much to live in as a 250K house. This includes opportunity cost, tax, utilities, maintenance and repair (Justin, you read my mind!)

Given the nature of this forum, I expected the majority of members here live in a house that is 10 to 20% of their networth, and the poll results seem to agree with my guess. I'm in the next higher bracket (21 to 30%), but am working to get to 15% by the time I retire.

Thank you all for participating.

Justin, you're right that the percentage is high for young people. I could have included a "For older people only" restriction, but chose not to, in order to see the whole spectrum. Thanks for your vote and for the explanation.

The housing expense may or may not be directly proporational to house value. State and local property taxes differ greatly between states and local cities and town (I pay half in property tax than a friend who owns an identical house in a adjacent state). Utility maintenance and repair cost may be about the same whether you heat/maintain a 2000 square foot house that cost 250k or 500k since that geographic location determine house value.

Old 12-06-2006, 06:03 PM   #57

When we first bought our house, it represented 10-20% of our NW. 4 years later, the house has appreciated faster than our portfolio, and it's now in the 21-30% bracket.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:09 PM   #58

If Houston RE gets that kind of appreciation, I would never get to my 10-20% target! Not that I'm complaining

Tags
net worth