Join Early Retirement Today

Home Values
Old 02-28-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Home Values

Since I am not selling, I guess it doesn't matter, and it's only Zillow estimates, but since the beginning of the year my home is up 14.2%. That is a lot regardless.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2014, 06:36 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Since I am not selling, I guess it doesn't matter, and it's only Zillow estimates, but since the beginning of the year my home is up 14.2%. That is a lot regardless.
Part of country?

Old 02-28-2014, 06:52 PM   #3

To gauge the internet price of my home, I use a statistical median of several sites in addition to Zillow. Trulia.com, chase.com, homes .com are the main ones. They are all over the place, but the median is about what an average house is selling for in my neighborhood right now. Of course, my house is above average
Old 02-28-2014, 06:56 PM   #4

That's something I have been watching for some time now as our home just went on the market. I love our home and could have been very happy just staying here, but my wife thinks differently. She has wanted something that would be maintenance free should something happen to me. Not that I'm the "Mr. Fixit" type around here, but I do all the calling when something goes awry or planning that has to go into the repair. Also, she would be worried about the funding for such things. All that just befuddles her. So, we purchased an attached villa yesterday and now can't wait to get the whole process completed. Everything would be cared for where we bought. Part of that process is selling our current home. Prices are up in our area and people are jumping ahead of other buyers as prime listings are slim. We're hoping to recover our initial investment, plus upgrades and if there is any profit on top of that, we'll take it.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
Part of country?
east el lay county, ca
Old 02-28-2014, 08:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
east el lay county, ca
Around here, Chicago area, they are going up very slow. In 2 years, welling the house is a the first step in the retirement plan. Nervous about that, hope things improve, like what you are seeing.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:55 PM   #7
Administrator

According to Zillow, housing prices here have gone up 6% in the past year.

I don't know if that is correct or not, or what it means.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:08 PM   #8

These house price sites can be all over the map. I would take them with a grain of salt. I have seen houses sell for half or one third what they said on the sites. Of course sometimes they are spot on.
Proverbs 15:22 Designs are brought to nothing where there is no counsel: but where there are many counsellors, they are established.
rec7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:59 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Zillow lists the home across the street from mine as being sold for $45K more than the actual selling price. The house was sold last September. Zillow also estimates that comparable houses on my block are worth $100K less than the house that sold. I live in an older, downtown neighborhood that does not have many home sales and we are surrounded by less desirable neighborhoods. I thought homes.com did a better job of pricing although the website provided less information on the individual houses.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #10

I think it is good for general knowledge. It may even help make you feel better, but just like any investment, all that really matters is what you paid when you bought it, and what you sold for. The difference is what counts. Not all the up and down in-between.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:32 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I know you aren't selling; still, many reputable real estate agents are glad to come out and provide a current market estimate of what your house will sell for in current and fixed-up condition, on the off chance you will sell it eventually, and will remember them.

Amethyst
Old 03-03-2014, 11:46 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Zillow, Trulia, etc. are useless for me, since there is nothing remotely comparable in the area. An extremely eclectic neighborhood, with homes within ¼ mile of me worth anywhere between $60K and nearly $2M.

I imagine these sites would be great for cookie-cutter subdivisions, but not here.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:53 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
Zillow lists the home across the street from mine as being sold for $45K more than the actual selling price. The house was sold last September. Zillow also estimates that comparable houses on my block are worth $100K less than the house that sold. I live in an older, downtown neighborhood that does not have many home sales and we are surrounded by less desirable neighborhoods. I thought homes.com did a better job of pricing although the website provided less information on the individual houses.
I don't know where Zillow gets their data, but it is generally way off the mark. This is a very worthless website (I can't call it a service since it is so flawed).
Old 03-03-2014, 11:59 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

+10.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Zillow, Trulia, etc. are useless for me, since there is nothing remotely comparable in the area. An extremely eclectic neighborhood, with homes within ¼ mile of me worth anywhere between $60K and nearly $2M.

I imagine these sites would be great for cookie-cutter subdivisions, but not here.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:31 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

The Zillow median or zip code value seems to be a pretty good indicator of 4 CA areas I watch. I "calibrate" the house of interest to one of these and the comparable sales seem to support Zillow.

The individual house prices are so noisy they are worthless.

In one other area where I am interested in buying, Zillow seems to be consistently low by 25%. I was thinking that part of that may be that for an individual house I have to look at the individual price and we are just coming in to Spring when most comparables will be sold to "reset" values. Also the number of sales over winter in this area was minimal.

I find Trulia long term trends relative to 2008-2009 pricing to be very interesting.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:13 PM   #16

To quote aja8888, where do these guys (trulia and zillow, etc.) get their info? Example, house next door to me is listed at $238K. Has never had anything done to it in the way of upgrades. Inside it looks just like it did in 1991. We just put ours on the market at $325K. Completely renovated. We've put about 75K into so how could Trulia and Zillow even compare these properties? Maybe I don't know the basis for their values but there is a lot they don't know. They could easily be off $75-100K.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:28 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I am guessing that theoretically, $75k improvement performed under a permit should eventually trickle into Zillow underlying data.

However, in reality I don't expect all improvements to be done under permit and why, in reality it is so noisy and wrong for individual houses.... but OK for medians and trends when there are enough sales.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:44 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

DD lives in an established, low price, but nice neighborhood. And in Texas, sales of residential properties are not public information. She bought her 2000 square foot home 2.5 years ago for $127,000. Last Zillow estimate (one week ago) for it was $234,113! House down the street which is 600 square feet bigger is listed for $199,000. Go figure.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:51 PM   #19

My house is listed on Zillow as having 3 bedrooms. It has 4 bedrooms. The County Tax appraiser website, which is public record, clearly says it has 4 bedrooms so who knows where Zillow gets its info. Its obviously not very accurate.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:08 AM   #20

I don't think Zillow is very accurate.

I remember some years ago, looking up the house I was about to put on the market. I was surprised to see that it ignored other houses (similar) in the same gated subdivision as comps to come up a value and instead used houses from many miles away in a low income neighborhood. Just made me go hmm.

I just looked up our current house and it shows our house going up almost about 30% in value since 1/2013. There seems no apparent reason for this. I do think that sales are up so I could see some increase in value. But this just seems to be out of whack.