Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Homebuyer tax credit: 950,000 must repay
Old 09-11-2010, 08:22 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Homebuyer tax credit: 950,000 must repay

Homebuyer tax credit: 950,000 must repay - Sep. 9, 2010

Does this affect anyone here?

If so, did you know you had to repay it?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2010, 09:22 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
It is also taking a look at all those deceased taxpayers who received credits.
The inspector general reported that 1,326 single people listed as dead by the Social Security Administration claimed more than $10 million in credits. The IRS threw out 528 of those 1,326 claims, saving $4 million.
Holy Cr*P!

Sounds like being dishonest on your tax return is SOP for a lotta peeps.....
NW Landlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Landlady View Post
Holy Cr*P!

There was caller on Ray Lucia show, he set up a corporation which he used to write off stuff, he admitted is was for tax purposes and had no income or customers). The IRS put a lien on his house and he was calling to find out how he could sell this house without paying the IRS?
He lost his job and all I can think is "bad things happen to bad people"
TJ
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
There was caller on Ray Lucia show, he set up a corporation which he used to write off stuff, he admitted is was for tax purposes and had no income or customers). The IRS put a lien on his house and he was calling to find out how he could sell this house without paying the IRS?
He lost his job and all I can think is "bad things happen to bad people"
TJ
So what was the response? I hope it was "grow up and take some responsibility for once in your life" rather than giving him the advice he wanted.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
So what was the response? I hope it was "grow up and take some responsibility for once in your life" rather than giving him the advice he wanted.
Response was your SOL, IRS always wins. They didn't call him on his attempt to scam the IRS, probably because he gave a sob story about being out of work for 2 years, and did not want to pile on.
TJ
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:12 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Landlady View Post
Quote:
It is also taking a look at all those deceased taxpayers who received credits. The inspector general reported that 1,326 single people listed as dead by the Social Security Administration claimed more than $10 million in credits. The IRS threw out 528 of those 1,326 claims, saving $4 million.
Holy Cr*P!

I'm a little curious why the other 798 dead people got to keep their money.

I'm sure there are plenty of tax cheats, but I suspect there are many more who for some reason can't figure out our oh so simple tax code and make an honest mistake.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:16 AM   #7

We bought in 2009 and got the tax credit. One other stipulation that I recall is that you have to stay in the house three years or you have to pay back the money. I remember that, but don't have details. You have to submit closing documents (the HUD form) so don't know how the closing date could not be known.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:20 AM   #8

Anybody think the government will come to the aid of the "victims" of the 2008 credit and erase the requirement to pay it back? I think it will more likely than not be brought up in congress if it already has not.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
Anybody think the government will come to the aid of the "victims" of the 2008 credit and erase the requirement to pay it back? I think it will more likely than not be brought up in congress if it already has not.
Why stop there? Why not go back and compensate the "victims" of the 2007 no-credit period?
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
Why stop there? Why not go back and compensate the "victims" of the 2007 no-credit period?
Why stop there? Why not go back to the high tech meltdown and compensate the "victims" there?
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote