Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-03-2007, 08:13 AM   #61
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceGeek View Post
So riddle me this, why are is there so much new construction going on in so many of these sun-belt locales given the impending decline? It seems no matter where I travel I see tons of new cookie cutter communities springing up.
I thought that too, but those projects were in the works for a long time. I got a letter form Del Webb telling me that they have scrapped a project I was interested in. The Wiregrass community in Florida is no more. Since it was in the planning stages when this housing slump hit it was easy fro them to pull the plug. I bet a year from now you don't see much new development going on in the Sunbelt. Just my 2 cents.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2007, 08:35 AM   #62
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Now, several units are back on the market ranging from #1101, a 418 sq. ft. studio unit facing Diamond Head for $639,000, to #3301, a 2 bdrm, 1,406 sq. ft. unit facing the ocean for $3,288,000."
I miss the Islands, or at least the Islands as they were half a century ago when I was growing up there. But even a 418 sq ft cell in Heaven itself would not be worth $639,000 to me!

Prices like these are astonishing and even entertaining to me now that I live in a lower cost area.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:42 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

In my neighborhood, the house is selling if the price is correct. From my observation, the price should be the 2003 price, which is 10 to 15% lower than the 2005 peak.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:30 AM   #64

If I didn't know better, I'd think Greenspan went short on the U.S. stock market and the dollar. He sure seems to be trying to talk them down these days...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:34 AM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
If I didn't know better, I'd think Greenspan went short on the U.S. stock market and the dollar. He sure seems to be trying to talk them down these days...
I wonder if his investments are still being monitored by the SEC or other independent organization since he still has some influence in the markets.

I'd love to peek over his shoulder to see what he's investing in these days.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:17 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by semtex View Post
In my neighborhood, the house is selling if the price is correct. From my observation, the price should be the 2003 price, which is 10 to 15% lower than the 2005 peak.
This would be a whole lot more useful if we knew where this was. Or, if you are cloaked, approximately where it is.

Ha
Old 10-03-2007, 12:22 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
in an interview he would not divulge his asset allocation. He did admit that he was broadly hedged in a number of foreign currencies.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:02 PM   #68
Administrator

Quote:
I wonder if his investments are still being monitored by the SEC or other independent organization since he still has some influence in the markets.

I don't think he has as much influence as he thinks he has.

I agree that he may still have a little influence, though.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:05 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I don't think he has as much influence as he thinks he has.

I agree that he may still have a little influence, though.
He doesn't have power over interest rates any more, but he still makes the news when he has something important to say.
Mortgage Party Over
Old 10-03-2007, 01:13 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Mortgage Party Over

Mortgage Party Over:

Mortgage Monsters: Party's Over - iTulip.com Forums
Old 10-04-2007, 12:04 PM   #71

Quote:
He doesn't have power over interest rates any more, but he still makes the news when he has something important to say.
I don't think he has anything "important" to say anymore. He's out hyping his book and trying to drum up consulting contracts. He probably will say or do anything to keep himself feeling "in."

I wish he would just shut up and go away. I don't know why the press hangs all over him.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:22 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
I wish he would just shut up and go away. I don't know why the press hangs all over him.
Simple:

- doom & gloom attracts attention, so they will always cover it
- people are used to paying attetion to Greenie, so teh media has an easy in
- maybe they owe him some favors and helping pump his book is an easy way to settle up

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:10 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
I wish he would just shut up and go away.
Andrea's tired of him hanging around the house. She married him for better or worse but not for lunch...

I bet he burns through lunchtime conversation companions fairly quickly.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:58 AM   #74

He's just trying to answer the same question that we all hear "What do you do all day?" Someone needs to tell him to join this board.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:27 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

More Housing Inventory Data-Look at Seattle!

Old 10-05-2007, 03:17 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

By way of comparison:

One of the largest and nicest properties in my cul-de-sac was bought in '05 by a would-be flipper. They paid $600+k, and then sunk (guess) $100k into it. Put it on the market in '06 for $850k. Sat for almost a year and was foreclosed this spring. The house has been empty for upwards of a year, and has deteriorated. Now on the market asking $499k. I am tempted to at least look and make a lowball offer.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:04 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
...I am tempted to at least look and make a lowball offer.
Still today what some sellers and real estate agents people consider low-ball offers are not low enough.

Prices have gone up so much in some markets that an offer of 40% to 50% of peak selling prices is more like what the fair price should be. I've seen real estate in my area (northeast) that is selling (or trying to be sold) for double what I would ever offer.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:21 PM   #78
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I've seen real estate in my area (northeast) that is selling (or trying to be sold) for double what I would ever offer.
Ditto. I live in the NE and think that prices have a long, long way to fall -- either in nominal dollar value or in real value as inflation chips away over time -- before we hit the bottom of the housing market around here.

Hence, any lowball I'd make today would look more like a "grounder" ...
Old 10-05-2007, 04:54 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
Is the to-the-winner-go-the-spoils segment of the govt workforce really that large that it drives real estate prices in DC? I didn't think it would be large enough to have such an impact. But you know that area way better than I do.
In short, my answer is NO! I'm a born and raised in DC guy currently living in Laurel, MD and those areas mentioned by Jay_Gatsby are sub-markets in my opinion. Many who buy those homes can afford whatever and it has minimal effect on median price range homes. Many appointees and elected officials maintain a family residence back home also. I do agree that homes are sitting for extended periods and sellers are generally asking for '05 market prices (which are 5-10% below '06), so overall the homes that actually sell are in the 10-15% below peak price range, but it's hard to tell about concessions. I believe people are unable to lower prices in many cases because of minimal equity and granite countertops. The pending rate re-adjustments are likely to have more impact than the other factors, IMO. Market for suburban townhomes could be in the 20-25% decline from peak range.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:15 PM   #80

Funny thing about a 20-25% decline from the 05 "peak" is that you're only back to the 04 prices. That's why I am still a seller in this market.