Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-02-2015, 10:52 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Sure. Some of them take up an entire floor. And I am sure that the rich neighbors or building cotenants are all very nice.

Still, when you get down to the streets, it is still crowded. With money, you do not have to take the metro, and can take a cab or even a limousine to go to your favorite restaurants, but in traffic jams you still breathe exhaust fumes. Ugh! That's not quality life for me.
Some of them were mean to Richard and Pat Nixon Remember that one or more coop boards refused to let them in? You get the black ball, Tricky!

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2015, 03:45 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree-dweller View Post
We have lived in a close suburb of a major eastern city for 30 years. We bought this modest sfh when we wed specifically because of the well regarded schoool system and the reasonably short commute to the city where we both worked. The house is in a nondescript neighborhood, where neighbors keep to themselves, but it worked for us. Now empty nesters, we have an itch for living in a "destination" area, be it waterside or cityside. For admittedly shallow reasons, we want to live somewhere fun for us, and fun for future visitors so they can easily entertain themselves. That doesn't describe the practical but boring suburb we moved to so many years ago. So we go out on our weekend open-house jaunts, then come back to our modest ranch with single level living and think, "Ya know, this really ain't so bad." Torn.
Somehow I think there are many others here rowing that same boat.
As they say "you only live once". Why not make a change? As long as the finances work. Destination locations are usually fairly expensive. I think I might be be a little bored if we were in your position too. All our places would be considered " destinations".
Having "fun" in retirement is important I think. Lots of different ways to do this of course but where you live can certainly be a factor.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:07 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree-dweller View Post
We have lived in a close suburb of a major eastern city for 30 years. We bought this modest sfh when we wed specifically because of the well regarded schoool system and the reasonably short commute to the city where we both worked. The house is in a nondescript neighborhood, where neighbors keep to themselves, but it worked for us. Now empty nesters, we have an itch for living in a "destination" area, be it waterside or cityside. For admittedly shallow reasons, we want to live somewhere fun for us, and fun for future visitors so they can easily entertain themselves. That doesn't describe the practical but boring suburb we moved to so many years ago. So we go out on our weekend open-house jaunts, then come back to our modest ranch with single level living and think, "Ya know, this really ain't so bad." Torn.
Somehow I think there are many others here rowing that same boat.
We're rowing the same boat. I haven't got to the open house stage yet. I can't find a place to downsize to that meets our criteria so we'll stay put until we do. I need a DW approved 1500 sf single level home on the edge of suburbia close to recreational activities. Can't even find a location that we like and agree on. The search could go on for years.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:00 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Surely the issue is the change in lifestyle that accompanies retirement. I lived on an acreage but faced a 25 mile train ride to get into work. Once retired, that acreage no longer met our needs and the commute into town became intolerable, especially with the lousy service outside of commuter times.

Although we could stay active, our community was geared to young families, and so we moved. One size seldom fits all when you move through the stages of life.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:08 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

I think its about planning communities.. so we moved from Chicago burbs to apartment in Raleigh and we have looked at similar places in Denver and Texas. The new hot thing is Resort living..ie your apartment complex is in the middle of a walkable space, but the complex itself creates the park like environment one wants with outdoor areas and large club house that's similar to a nice resort with lots of amenities. We never hear our neighbors and the kitchen and bathrooms are made extra large. Its really the best of all worlds and great for empty nesters or people with a single kid (once your past that sure more space may be desirable). There are plenty of 3 bedroom apartments that are as big as most houses. You are typically walkable to at least a few coffee shops, a market, a target or Walmart, a movie theater, and a few bars. You don't get the road traffic and most are young professionals or near retirees thus not being loud or disrespectful. It doesn't work in huge cities like NYC, but can work well is more sprawled out cities like Denver, San Jose, etc. However, like in Denver I heard most of condo construction has stopped due to new regulation, leaving the ones that are out there left as rent so they can charge massive premiums to the huge influx of 20 somethings. You can't buy a place in boulder without outbidding 20 other people.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:04 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
You can't buy a place in boulder without outbidding 20 other people.
This often means it is best to wait out the press and if you are still interested try again under more favorable circumstances.

In many areas I have felt fine about "good enough", as opposed to best. I'll happily buy pork when beef is expensive. But some things really matter. Do you want to marry any wallflower, thus having to beat fewer competitors, or the woman you want? (Assuming that women or marriage are interesting) Do you want to be near the mountains, or in them? Near the beach, or at it?

Luck helps, as does timing, as does having more than enough money.

Ha
Old 07-06-2015, 08:07 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This often means it is best to wait out the press and if you are still interested try again under more favorable circumstances.

In many areas I have felt fine about "good enough", as opposed to best. I'll happily buy pork when beef is expensive. But some things really matter. Do you want to marry any wallflower, thus having to beat fewer competitors, or the woman you want? (Assuming that women or marriage are interesting) Do you want to be near the mountains, or in them? Near the beach, or at it?

Luck helps, as does timing, as does having more than enough money.

Ha
Agree. Some things just have to be "right". Which things will depend on the person. Real estate may be one of these things. Eg. Location, location, location. Within reason of course.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:25 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Here is an article about a US map of property values by county that seems appropriate for this thread:
A Map of the U.S. by Property Value Instead of Land Area - CityLab

It kind of shows where people want to live and work. The article has a fantastic morphing of regular map geometry to property value geometry. It's worth a look.

Map from Max Galka / Metrocosm
Old 07-13-2015, 09:54 AM   #69

Looks like a diseased organ.

Go to the link to see the pulsing graphic. It helps you zero in on specific counties.

Very interesting way to map things! I like it.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:12 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Cool, I'm curious if I can link to the animation (gif):

I guess so!

-ERD50
Old 07-13-2015, 10:19 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Looks like a diseased organ...
OMG! We have cancer growing all over the place. The pulsating nightmarish thing makes it difficult to pinpoint my home. Oh lordy, we may be inside one of the blobs ourselves.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:05 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Cool, we end up in a small red nodule next to the DC metro area monstrosity even though we're 2 states away.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:50 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Cool, we end up in a small red nodule next to the DC metro area monstrosity even though we're 2 states away.
It's ok FUEGO. Not sure about you, but I'm glad we're not a tumor yet.

Afraid we will be some day.