Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Houston, Dallas, Austin Real Estate bubble?
Old 08-29-2006, 12:55 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus
People left their house keys in the door. They just up and left town, never to return.* My neighbors did it. The house was open and there was a useless checkbook on the abandoned kitchen table. The phone had been thrown through a window and was laying outside. As a kid, it was somber exploring.

It took about 7 years to recover.
Its according to what you mean by recover... my house value has just gone over what the previous owner to me paid for it... I got it at a 50% discount from his price... and it still went down from my purchase price by 10%...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2006, 07:48 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am not as pessimistic as others here regarding the outlook for TX real estate. We are under valued compared to many parts of the country, jobs markets are good, and there is no state income tax. I expect to see steady influx of folks relocating to states like Texas, both baby boomers and those in their 20-30s that want outdoor lifestyle and reasonable cost of living. Will values here decline if real estate totally tanks, yes, but I don't expect to see a huge downward correction like many states will experience. Since I live in a desirable city, that is largely built out (not having to compete with new construction), I am not concerned about seeing my home value implode.

DFW

Old 08-31-2006, 02:34 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5
I am not as pessimistic as others here regarding the outlook for TX real estate.* We are under valued compared to many parts of the country, jobs markets are good, and there is no state income tax.* I expect to see steady influx of folks relocating to states like Texas, both baby boomers and those in their 20-30s that want outdoor lifestyle and reasonable cost of living.* Will values here decline if real estate totally tanks, yes, but I don't expect to see a huge downward correction like many states will experience.* Since I live in a desirable city, that is largely built out (not having to compete with new construction), I am not concerned about seeing my home value implode.

DFW
I think you misread the posts.. we are not saying it is about to implode... that it is still under historical values from the LAST implosion... and that if the coast 'get sick' we will feel it a bit.. but no implosion...
Old 08-31-2006, 03:17 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I live near Houston and this summer the price of homes in my neighborhood have jumped in a bubblesque fashion. Fortunately, the surge in home prices (from $260K to the $325K to $375K range in just one year) occurred after we successfully achieved a reduction in property taxes because home prices hadn't gone up in 6 years.

So I don't see any drop in home prices in the forseeable future, but only increases. Well, at least until all the out-of-staters moving here come to their senses and realize that $350K for a house is not a bargain, but paying way too much.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:54 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
I think you misread the posts.. we are not saying it is about to implode... that it is still under historical values from the LAST implosion...* and that if the coast 'get sick' we will feel it a bit..* but no implosion...
Texas Proud,* I am simply expressing my opinion in response to the original post and my observation of the tone of several of the posts in this thread.* If you don't agree with my view/comments, thats fine, but you should speak for yourself and not use the collective "we are not saying."

Cheers,

DFW
Old 08-31-2006, 04:07 PM   #26

Quote:
We are under valued compared to many parts of the country, jobs markets are good, and there is no state income tax.
I think so too.* Houston is even more undervalued than DFW.* However, I do think Houston will be affected slightly, very slightly.* I think home price here will increase about 1% annually, which is an actual 2% decrease in inflated dollars.

Quote:
I expect to see steady influx of folks relocating to states like Texas, both baby boomers and those in their 20-30s that want outdoor lifestyle and reasonable cost of living.
I think you're right about the influx.* *I'm not crazy about the idea, though.

What outdoor lifestyle are you referring to?* I see very little outdoor activity in this perpetual oven compared to say Boston, or Southern California.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:29 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
What outdoor lifestyle are you referring to?* I see very little outdoor activity in this perpetual oven compared to say Boston, or Southern California.
Sam, What I mean by outdoor lifestyle is you can enjoy outdoor activities like golf/tennis/jogging/boating/etc all year round, kids sports have extended seasons, we are not subject to too many rainouts and we don't have to contend with the freezing temps and snow like the northern climates. I hear ya on the oven part thou, its been a long hot summer.

DFW