Join Early Retirement Today
Re: how about 14% SWR
Old 05-16-2006, 09:35 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

RE: new firecalc

Most curious though. I'm doing pretty normal stuff. Lump sum at the start, an annual withdraw with the default inflation increase per year and the result is consistently 0.5% worse than the old one.

I reported the same thing as I exercised the new version. I can understand saomewhat different results between the two when you target SWR's of less than 100% (because the new version drops the incomplete periods), but it seems to me like the results from the two versions ought to be a bit closer when modeling 100% safe scenarios.
Well, I wasn't specifying 100%, but I'm relieved to hear someone else is seeing the same effect.

I think the issue may be that it's not so much there are incomplete periods that are ignored . . . it's that the periods ignored were the 80's and 90's that were so strong. In terms of a historical profile, this would seem to mildly data mine negative years years/decades from history. But I'm only speculating as to the cause and the guy doing the work has thought about this stuff carefully. It would just be nice to have a mode available to precisely reproduce the old result, so that when results differ one knows exactly why.

modlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2006, 10:09 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Originally Posted by cj
14% - maybe if you're 90.
If inflation and medical expenses continue to spiral, my forcasted swr on my reduced budget will be at;

85 8%
90 10%
95 17%
99 72%

At 100, i'll have to settle for cheap dog food and a comfortable cardboard box, if I can find some.

I am looking forward to a comfortable retirement in my older years.

I look to the present moment because that's where I live my life.
MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:17 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I know several people who retired on too little, and yet they all manage. They mostly got part-time jobs and seem content:

--Former mechanical engineer, now a barista at Starbucks after being a stock-boy at a Piggly Wiggly supermarket. His wife does some sort of office work.
--Former small businessman started a lawn-mowing service.
--Former insurance VP went into customer service at an Edward-Jones brokerage (just retired for the second time as he's 18 months from Medicare and can now COBRA his health insurance) after being an elected town official, and his wife temped
--Former paralegal now does clerical work for a big church
--Former programmer does occasional computer contracts (upgrading a copmpany's software and such)

The people who tend to sink when they retire on too little are those who can't work due to less than good health or perhaps not atttractive/thin/outgoing/smiley enough to be hired to do a public-interfacing job--and have no spouse/inheritance to pick up the slack.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might find you get what you need.
astromeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:58 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by astromeria
I know several people who retired on too little, and yet they all manage. They mostly got part-time jobs and seem content:
I'm just glad that I'm not depending on my professional longboarder's skills.

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote