Join Early Retirement Today

how about 14% SWR
Old 05-16-2006, 01:28 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

how about 14% SWR

Experts say retirees can spend about four percent of their assets each year.
But more than a-third of respondents thought retirees could spend up to 14
percent a year.

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/pro...515&ID=5722022

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: how about 14% SWR
Old 05-16-2006, 01:31 PM   #2

Isnt that what credit cards are for : To bad JG isnt here anymore to share his side of the story.

Old 05-16-2006, 01:34 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cool! It's steak and lobster every night for me.* 8)
Old 05-16-2006, 01:45 PM   #4

Fourteen percent, no problem. Just pick the stocks that go up.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:48 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
Fourteen percent, no problem. Just pick the stocks that go up.
And gold, gold!, GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:12 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor
Experts say retirees can spend about four percent of their assets each year.
But more than a-third of respondents thought retirees could spend up to 14
percent a year.

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/pro...515&ID=5722022
My read of the article says that 28% of respondents (who are not experts) thought retirees could spend 10% or more of their retirement per year.* 11% of were delusional in thinking they could do 15% or more.* A very large chunk (40%) had no idea.

Here is the excerpt -

When asked what percentage of their nest eggs they could safely withdraw each year in retirement, study participants responded:

Less than 5% – 10%
5% to 9% – 19%
10% to 14% – 17%
15% to 24% – 6%
25% to 49% – 2%
50% or more – 3%
Don’t know – 40%
Old 05-16-2006, 02:17 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

14% - maybe if you're 90.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
14% - maybe if you're 90.
And plan to die by 97.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:46 PM   #9

before discovering this forum and not knowing much about inflation effects, i thought withdrawal would be 6%. a few different scenarios on firecalc shows me safe at 4.76 to 5.11%. but i'm not a spender and could easily live on much less than 4%.

fortunately i found you guys just months after quitting.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:52 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
before discovering this forum and not knowing much about inflation effects, i thought withdrawal would be 6%. a few different scenarios on firecalc shows me safe at 4.76 to 5.11%. but i'm not a spender and could easily live on much less than 4%.
I confess I'm having a lot of trouble getting the new firecalc to come within even 0.5% SWR of the old firecalc and I can't figure out why.

There is a lot of talk about 4% and it's gotten embedded in psyches, but the NORM is very likely to be people who will get at least some Social Security and that reality drives a 30 yr number well above 4%.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmail
drives a 30 yr number well above 4%.
i got the 5.11% when i plugged in future income from a reverse mortgage later in life. likely not something i'll spend, was just curious to see how that would effect spending if i wanted it.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:00 PM   #12

Quote:
There is a lot of talk about 4% and it's gotten embedded in psyches, but the NORM is very likely to be people who will get at least some Social Security and that reality drives a 30 yr number well above 4%.
Take out from the equation the Depression in 1929 and the sideways market from the late 60's to 70's, and you'll have a 5% or better SWR. *Or give yourself a 95% success rate and you might get the same results.

I would rather keep those periods in my equation just in case.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:07 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I think a lot of people "assume" that their retirement portfolios can be safely invested to yield 8 to 10% per year, and they can withdraw all of that. No thought at all about inflation.

The American public is very poorly informed. I predict interviews of shock and horror on CNN and other stations when people finally realize what it takes! (maybe about 10 years from now). Just like today's shock about gas prices and sheer refusal to believe that gas prices will naturally go up.

Audrey
Old 05-16-2006, 03:17 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
I think a lot of people "assume" that their retirement portfolios can be safely invested to yield 8 to 10% per year, and they can withdraw all of that.* No thought at all about inflation.
Audrey
Yep. The greatest and most consistent misunderstanding I hear from acquaintances regarding retirement funding is that if you don't touch the principal, just spend the earnings, you'll be OK forever.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Yep. The greatest and most consistent misunderstanding I hear from acquaintances regarding retirement funding is that if you don't touch the principal, just spend the earnings, you'll be OK forever.
Hey, if someone had diversified dividend paying stocks and can live on the dividends (maybe 2-4% of the portfolio) then they should be able to go on just about forever. Gotta have a big portfolio to do that.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:42 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I confess I'm having a lot of trouble getting the new firecalc to come within even 0.5% SWR of the old firecalc and I can't figure out why.

Quote:

Take out from the equation the Depression in 1929 and the sideways market from the late 60's to 70's, and you'll have a 5% or better SWR. Or give yourself a 95% success rate and you might get the same results.
Yeah, that would be data mining, though. It's not fair to do that.

I can't get it to yield the old firecalc numbers with the same inputs. There is a blurb that says the most recent 30 yrs is not considered (or something like that) in the new one, and that would maybe explain it since it includes the crush of the early 70's but excludes the boom of the 80's and 90's.

Most curious though. I'm doing pretty normal stuff. Lump sum at the start, an annual withdraw with the default inflation increase per year and the result is consistently 0.5% worse than the old one.

Shrug.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:57 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
Hey, if someone had diversified dividend paying stocks and can live on the dividends (maybe 2-4% of the portfolio) then they should be able to go on just about forever. Gotta have a big portfolio to do that.
Works great as long as the dividends rise with one's expenses over the next 5-6-7-8 decades.

But according to anecdotal financial advisor's reports, if we're in our eighties then it won't matter if the dividends stay flat.

I think it'll all work out fine. People will believe Ken Dychtwald's crap about not wanting to rot in retirement, so they'll be quite happy to keep working for food fulfillment. And their payroll taxes will bail out both Social Security & Medicare...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 07:39 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Most curious though.* I'm doing pretty normal stuff.* Lump sum at the start, an annual withdraw with the default inflation increase per year and the result is consistently 0.5% worse than the old one.*
I reported the same thing as I exercised the new version. I can understand saomewhat different results between the two when you target SWR's of less than 100% (because the new version drops the incomplete periods), but it seems to me like the results from the two versions ought to be a bit closer when modeling 100% safe scenarios.

Cb
Old 05-16-2006, 07:41 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

It also works to just take the dividends if the NAV on the fund or the price on the stocks rises at least at the rate of inflation...the dividend rate doesnt have to rise...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:16 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

CFB,

The problem is that that doesn't always happen.* The worse time to start retirement in history, the early 70's, saw inflation skyrocket while NAV's actually dropped year after year.* Firecalc tests that, no problem.* But Firecalc assumes you stay at the same withdrawal rate even during fabulous years when you'd be tempted to harvest much more thereby building up your portfolio to help carry through such tough times.