Join Early Retirement Today

How are your portfolios YTD?
Old 03-10-2005, 12:24 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

How are your portfolios YTD?

So I rebalanced my 401k and my wife's 401k to capture the whole market with a bias towards equities since we are young (sort of a bastardized coffee house). Did this at the end of December, and since then the markets, as near as I can tell (S&P 500, Wilshire 5000 etc.) when averaged are pretty much flat. I'm up a whopping .1%. So I guess I succeeded in my desired goal

How are others doing this year? Has this been a good start to '05 or do you wish you could forget it?
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: How are your portfolios YTD?
Old 03-10-2005, 12:39 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well, according to the calculator on my investment account website, I'm down 1.41%. I was 100% in a small cap value fund. I'm not ERd yet, so I can afford a little risk and volatility. I was up 24.84% YTD at the end of last year, so I'm not complaining.

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 01:18 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was up 2% last week. I am not so sure now since my REIT funds (10% of the portfolio) has taken a big hit lately.

I normally update my return on a weekly basis.

Spanky
Old 03-10-2005, 01:28 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Up about 1.2%; I'll be seeing about $7k in dividends at the end of the month to spruce that up a little bit.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 02:12 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm up roughly 19%, or $30,000... TH I get almost $150 per quarter in dividends! Does anyone else get addicted to dividends? They're just so real and tangible, I love em'.
Berkshire_Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 02:23 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

3.24% for me,and 3.03% for mums.Once again the near passive account(moms,1to 2 trades/yr and decently balanced with an income bias)easily trots along in a tight second place to the more aggressive account,more work,more monitoring(that would be me).
If my figures are correct,approx 2/3's of moms yearly disbursement comes from income/divvy's.

Enjoy the year,dont sweat the small stuff-ak
Old 03-10-2005, 03:38 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, congrats BB! What went so right for you? TH, your post makes me feel like a minnow swimming with great whites! Your dividends are 10% of my portfolio! I enrolled in my first DRIP this year, I too find dividends rather addicting.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:02 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Does anyone else get addicted to dividends? *They're just so real and tangible, I love em'.
Although they're a small part of our portfolio, I like the part where they're deposited to our Fidelity account a week before it pays the credit-card bill.

Berkshire Hathaway had zero pop on the annual report. This holding is looking more like bear insurance than a hot growth prospect. Maybe it'll drop 10-20% so that we can buy more.

Tweedy, Browne Global Value (TBGVX) is up over 5% in 2+ months. Unsustainable but quite encouraging. Apparently Europe, small-cap, & value's demises are all prematurely predicted.

Stopped out of Las Vegas Sands (LVS) at a small profit but wish I'd stayed in. Maybe there'll be a buying opportunity again soon.

Build-a-Bear Workshops (BBW) is imploding quite nicely, and Greenfield Online (SRVY) is also headed for disaster.

We had a Peter Lynch moment this year-- spouse saw a TV ad for "Splenda", an artificial sweetener that maintains its flavor at high temps (baking or hot drinks). Did some research, found out that we were late to the party but not too late for dessert, and bought ADRs on 16 Dec 04 @ $36.50. Up over 4% today to $41.35. I sure hope this isn't a play on a declining dollar.

I'm intrigued by Dolby Labs (DLB), Given Imaging (GIVN), & Genzyme Corp (GENZ). And does anyone believe that Herbalife (HLF) has a future?!?

Now if the market would only acknowledge my prescience with Nortel & Sun...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 04:04 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
TH, your post makes me feel like a minnow swimming with great whites! Your dividends are 10% of my portfolio!
I like to think of myself as more of a basking shark.

I need those dividends, they're what I had to live on before I nabbed a Nurse With A Purse!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:18 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I'm up 9%. Everything has been going up- my US stocks, my *foreign stocks, my energy, my gold.

Keeping my fingers crossed- I don't remember ever having this much good luck before.

Mikey
Old 03-10-2005, 05:35 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm up 9%. Everything has been going up- my US stocks, my foreign stocks, my energy...
Wow, Mikey. If my portfolio grew 9% my energy would be up too! Congratulations.

REW
Old 03-10-2005, 06:03 PM   #12

Slicer's Dream portfolio is up 2.25% YTD as of tonight.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:48 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I don't remember ever having this much good luck before. Mikey
Not luck, Mikey. Thorough research, a well-thought-out plan, and lots of investor discipline.

Luck would be Vegas!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:02 AM   #14

Hello TH. "Nurse with a purse". I like that. I had a
similar experience, except at my age I was lucky to find a
nurse with a pulse

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 04:08 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

When I first started my 457 plan (1992) all I saw was negative numbers for a couple of years. I was buying "Growth" shares, which, at that time, were going for around $7 bucks a share. Kept at it. Low and behold, the shares (not the only shares or sectors I hold, just an example) went slowly up, to $40 bucks a share. Then the crash, down to $19, now up to around $27. The point? Investing is a long term proposition. When prices are down, you're buying low (a good thing). Don't despair.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 05:22 AM   #16

Looks like I'm up 1.92% including new contributions. I'm close to flat on earnings. Vanguard doesn't seem to break out just YTD earnings for me so I'm guestimating.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 05:36 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I track our portfolio at the end of each week so this is as of March 4th. Our total portfolio is up 1.76% since Dec 31 - All other Friday closings in 2005 were in negative territory with a minimum on Jan 21 (-2.13%) and a slow improvement since with a big bounce last week: the portfolio was up 1.78% the week ending March 4th.

Gas is up a lot today - TH will do well on energy this week but I think we're in for some more turmoil.

JohnP

JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 06:35 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Well we're right at the cusp of the nine-month economic slide ECRI's leading economic indicators predicts. If they're right, and so far their indicator has been a good one, we've got some fairly lousy times ahead, at least until november

http://www.businesscycle.com/

(Scroll to the bottom to see the chart)
Old 03-11-2005, 07:34 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting Chart, I guess I should be glad I'm in the accumulation phase, the market is having a sale! Seriously, that's probably one of the most important things I've learned at this site, the difference in portolio dynamics as I go from accumulator to retiree/withdrawer.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:11 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well we're right at the cusp of the nine-month economic slide ECRI's leading economic indicators predicts.
There must be some leads or lags that I don't know about. At the top right of the page you linked I found this press release:

Reuters

Weekly Leading Index Rises
03/11/2005
NEW YORK, March 11 (Reuters) - A leading index of the U.S. economy rose in the latest week, with an increase in the growth component pointing to a general recovery in the U.S. economy, a report showed on Friday.

The Economic Cycle Research Institute, an independent forecasting group, said its weekly leading index rose to 135.2 in the week ended March 4 compared with 134.9 in the previous week.

The index's annualized growth rate, which smooths out weekly fluctuations, rose to 3.0 percent from 2.6 percent in the prior week, the highest in nine months.

"The steady improvement in the weekly leading index growth rate points to a slowly brightening economic outlook and based on that recovery it is clear that the U.S. economy will continue to support global growth," said Anirvan Banerji, director of research at ECRI.

It sounds like they are predicting growth to me, unless they don't disclose their lead times.

Mikey