How bad a hit did you take this week ?

I can suffer through another week or two before I rejoin the club.

Turns out we got off for a lousy $400K. $150K have already returned and I'm I hope the stuff I bought on the downtrend will get us to 0 before the ones who said WTF.

All I know is that I ER'd in June 07 and today our NW is 135% of when I ER'd. That includes our withdrawals. Our AA may not be conventional, but so far it has worked.

YMMV, of course.

Turns out we got off for a lousy $400K. $150K have already returned and I'm I hope the stuff I bought on the downtrend will get us to 0 before the ones who said WTF.

All I know is that I ER'd in June 07 and today our NW is 135% of when I ER'd. That includes our withdrawals. Our AA may not be conventional, but so far it has worked.

YMMV, of course.
I'd say you are a champion. What is your unconventional AA?

Ha

One of the things that comes up when discussing market psychology is the different reactions between losing money and gaining money.

Most of the time when you give a somebody a meaningful amount of cash and then offer them a chance to double it or lose it, will turn down the opportunity to double up, because the pain of losing is less the joy of winning.

On Monday I "lost" > $123,000 and Tuesday and "won" >$115,000. The $8K difference over two days normally wouldn't even get my attention. Since they were back to back days, I am amazed at how much worse I felt on Monday, than better I felt on Tuesday.

I can now see the benefits of ignoring the market and only checking portfolio's twice a year. Fortunately/unfortunately as retiree and news junkie I don't see how this is possible for me. But it would definitely reduce stress levels.

In "normal" times, a "correction" of 10-20% would be mildly painful, but after enduring the dot bomb crash, and the Great Recession, and the crazy wild volatility of late, sell-offs aren't so ho-hum any more...

After Monday, I very nearly lost my "millionaire" status of investments, having lost another $30k after dropping $20k last Friday. But I gained back $15k Tuesday although the big bond fund I own dropped a little bit more (even small per-share changes result in some significant changes in value because I own so many shares).

Once things settle down I will look at doing some mild rebalancing in my IRA.

5.71% annualized return for last 12 months; -3.65% annualized return YTD; both as of yesterday's close - looks like it will be lower after today.

On Monday I "lost" > $123,000 and Tuesday and "won" >$115,000. The $8K difference over two days normally wouldn't even get my attention. Since they were back to back days, I am amazed at how much worse I felt on Monday, than better I felt on Tuesday.

I think that's why I've kept my equities well below 50% (that, and the fact I no longer need to swing for the fences to stay retired).

Good insight, Clifp!

Confucius say: man not in market sleep well when market go down, not sleep well when market go up.

For the first time in my life, I lost a 6-figure amount in just one day. I'm feeling proud of that accomplishment. :)

For us, that time rolls around about November 15th, when the Oregon property tax man tells us what he guesses our true cash value of the places has dropped too. and then tells us he wants a fat 5 figures raght now. for the chilllldren. and the pleecemen. and the county roads.

All better now, unless you panic and sold out. I'm getting motion sickness watching this market.
TJ

Yesterday helped a lot, plus I have been buying the last couple of days to get back to my target AA but I'll need a few more days like yesterday to get back to where I was.

Makes me dizzy!

At 60 my golf game has gone south never to return to the days of the three hundred yard drives (counting roll of course), short game still pretty decent. Actually just don't have the passion for the game I once had due to the inability to play the way I used to. But I still have many other hobbies to take up the slack.
I turn 64 in nine days. My game is better than it was twenty years ago. I am in good shape and work hard to keep that way. I can still hit it 250. I hit my 7 iron 160. About one year ago I bought a DVD on the top tips of golf. It was a money back guarantee. I do not want my money back as it helped me greatly. I have always hit the ball good but I could not score like I thought I should. That DVD showed me many great tips that I did not know.
As for my health, I do have problems moving when I first awake but it gets better as the day goes on. I still work, hoping to retire soon but no date set yet. The secret I think is to keep moving, so I have to come up with a plan to keep me busy all the time. I work at a golf course and I see so many retired overweight people trying to play the game. Many of these people are younger than me. I do not want to join them on that. :dance::facepalm::greetings10:

As of today, up 7.06% YTD.
As of today I'm up 4.83% over 01/03/11.

Most likely not from equity return, I presume. Long-term bonds, TIPS or Gold?

Most likely not from equity return, I presume. Long-term bonds, TIPS or Gold?
Yes. Bond and TIPS funds. Been that way since the spring of 2008. Bailed from stocks and stock funds when the Dow was floating around 13,000.

Wife and I are risk averse when it comes to the stock market, and even more so now that we are a few (2-3) years away from wanting to retire. I posted about that here back in 2008.

I'm sure we will eventually pay for being this conservative, but at least our 401(k)s combined are up ~7.1% annualized since the switchover 3 years ago. Sleeping at night has been the least of our problems. :)

Back
Top Bottom