Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 01:25 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Around here, foreclosures are showing up and bank-owned properties are sitting on the market, but we haven't had the horrific glut of foreclosed properties that's paralyzed parts of Stockton, Fresno, etc.

Nearly every major intersection and freeway on-ramp has people with cardboard signs asking for change, though. The regulars are still there, and now they're competing with new folks.

It takes money to move somewhere new. For people who are utterly destitute, sometimes leaving town isn't a choice.

PS. Honobob, how do you define "crash?" I am thinking that maybe that word does not mean what I think it means....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2009, 01:28 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
Around here, foreclosures are showing up and bank-owned properties are sitting on the market, but we haven't had the horrific glut of foreclosed properties that's paralyzed parts of Stockton, Fresno, etc.

Nearly every major intersection and freeway on-ramp has people with cardboard signs asking for change, though. The regulars are still there, and now they're competing with new folks.

It takes money to move somewhere new. For people who are utterly destitute, sometimes leaving town isn't a choice.

PS. Honobob, how do you define "crash?" I am thinking that maybe that word does not mean what I think it means....
Don't mind Hono, he's just looking to start a fight. As always.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:35 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Damn! I hate being a sucker for chain-yanking! Maybe someday I, too, will be cool enough to filter it out.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:04 AM   #44
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
While your slumber is interspersed with the sounds of the squabbling families, the crying kids, the drunks with their breaking beer bottles & loud music in the parking lot, the barking guard dogs, the guy scavenging all the garbage cans for redeemable beverage containers, and the iceheads trashing the restrooms for scrap metal or fighting over the last hit. People use other parts of the beach for their bathroom needs because there's no way they're going into those restrooms. Until the night rains & tradewinds rip your shelter off its pegs into the shorebreak.

Unless, of course, you're in Disneyland Waikiki or Ala Moana. Then the beach is cleaned & raked each midwatch until not even a cigarette butt is left, and it's very very hard to find a homeless person sheltering themself in the area. But that's brought to you by local merchant's associations and the Hawaii Visitors & Conventions Bureau, which leaves the government homeless shelters responsible for the "real" Hawaii in Nanakuli, Waianae, Waialua, & Mokuleia...
Wow - - I guess things have gotten pretty bad in the past 35 years. Back in the early 1970's, I camped at Nanakuli with a dozen friends each weekend all summer (one friend was one of my students at the U. of H., and he was also a dive instructor so he was teaching us science geeks to dive, plus a few Navy guys including my then-boyfriend, now-ex). We had a campsite reserved there. Most of the time the beach was nearly deserted. We spearfished and cooked our catch over a camp stove. We had none of the problems you listed at that time. The restrooms were no worse than any public restroom, and not far away. That part of the beach was completely clean and we made several beach walks each day looking for any trash (but didn't find much). The other campers further down the beach were all locals and they took pride in keeping the beach clean as well. I probably never slept so well and waking up at dawn just a few feet from the water, when everyone else was asleep, was spectacular.

Growing up in the islands I have also slept at a number of other beaches on Oahu back "in the day", though not in the city. I even slept on Kailua Beach, where my family's waterfront home was. Why, when I could have slept in our yard right there on the beach? I dunno. I guess because I was a teenager. Security walked up and down that beach all night, so you can't sleep out in the open there.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-24-2009, 07:51 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Wow - - I guess things have gotten pretty bad in the past 35 years.
Hawaii has been our vacation destination of choice since the early 70's and we have visited there at least once a year. From an "outsider's" encounter with the conditions of the homeless in Hawaii, I can assure it is even worse then Nords describes (or could).

A couple of years ago we spent a week at the Makaha Resort & Golf Club in Waianae. (Much less impressive than it sounds, BTW... but still a nice property.) We traveled the Farrington Hwy every morning and evening. It didn't take long to realize that these people (and it is shoulder to shoulder along that whole coast) are not there because they want to be. They are simply trying to make the best of a bad situation -- many, for instance, have potted plants around their "space." But you can imagine what happens when you pack that many people together who have little if any hope for a brighter future -- not as bad as refugee camps in third world countries but close. Each day is a separate incidence with no real connection to an uncertain tomorrow or to that "don't-want-to-think-about-it" yesterday.

In any event, there are no simple solutions. And it is becoming less and less unique to Hawaii so everyone should "listen up."
Old 01-25-2009, 11:22 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
In any event, there are no simple solutions.
Nevertheless, there are numerous suggestions. The NIMBY coaliton should welcome this one:

Plan would buy airfare to send Hawaii homeless to Mainland | HonoluluAdvertiser.com | The Honolulu Advertiser
Old 01-25-2009, 12:22 PM   #47
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
Damn! I hate being a sucker for chain-yanking! Maybe someday I, too, will be cool enough to filter it out.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:03 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

My son works for the State of California. Mandatory 10% pay cut. He's young, no family, no debt. He's not complaining. He worries about the families with credit card debt, car payments, mortgages, kids in college.

No doubt some of them are going to have to start eating 34% to 49% default rates on their credit cards after a few late payments.

Late fees, over limit fees, miss a house payment. It's only a matter of time.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:10 PM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ironic to me to have a large group that is homelesss while simultaneously having a large group being foreclosed.....someone should introduce these groups to each other.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:27 PM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Nevertheless, there are numerous suggestions. The NIMBY coaliton should welcome this one:

Plan would buy airfare to send Hawaii homeless to Mainland | HonoluluAdvertiser.com | The Honolulu Advertiser
WE've done it up in the frozen north )or at least thought about it): earlier stance on welfare he had taken, which was to offer destitute people: Online Encyclopedia and Dictionary - Ralph Klein

Ralphie offered "a bus ticket to Vancouver" to exploit the more generous social assistance of British Columbia."
Old 01-27-2009, 04:39 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Tough times in San Francisco? or just for greedy buyers? According to “The San Francisco Business Times” of 1/16/09, a large residential landlord “has deeded 51 of its apartment buildings back to lender UBS.” He “filed...“deed[s] in lieu of foreclosure[s].”

Lembi gives 51 buildings back to UBS - San Francisco Business Times:

BeyondChron: San Francisco's Alternative Online Daily News » Skyline Realty Retrenches to Avoid Foreclosures
Old 01-29-2009, 01:38 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Big trucks [and RVs] banned from parking in neighborhoods

Quote:
Didone is also hoping that homeowners associations will help [these] vehicle owners find other places to park.
Yeh, like that's going to happen.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:37 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
In any event, there are no simple solutions. And it is becoming less and less unique to Hawaii so everyone should "listen up."
If all you want is a "simple" solution, Soylent Green is people . However, I do not think this solution would be palatable to the American public.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:02 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture View Post
If all you want is a "simple" solution, Soylent Green is people . However, I do not think this solution would be palatable to the American public.

Tastes like chicken, I hear.
Consult with only myself as your adviser or representative. My thoughts should be construed as investment advice of the highest caliber. Past performance is but a pale shadow and guarantee of even greater results in the future.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:43 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

You know, I have to say I think things have stabilized here in North San Diego county. There has not been any new foreclosures, and those that have are about 1/3 sold, 1/3 rented out, and 1/3 empty but with gardener and real estate sign out front so they don't look like a crack house anymore. Since prices are almost down to when we bought in 2001, I think the houses are deals again. One renter a few houses down is actually looking to buy the house now and is in negotiations.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:25 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Tough times in San Francisco? or just for greedy buyers? According to “The San Francisco Business Times” of 1/16/09, a large residential landlord “has deeded 51 of its apartment buildings back to lender UBS.” He “filed...“deed[s] in lieu of foreclosure[s].”

Lembi gives 51 buildings back to UBS - San Francisco Business Times:

BeyondChron: San Francisco's Alternative Online Daily News » Skyline Realty Retrenches to Avoid Foreclosures
We sold our home in San Francisco last year. It was in a choice area, Noe Valley. It tool us 4 months to sell, however, our realtor was too optimistic and our initial price was too high.

We have been looking in Marin and I pulse the San Francisco market. There is little inventory. Folks who don't have to sell are waiting it out. Perhaps that will change as spring approaches. Recently I saw data indicating that the 4 major Marin realtors have have fewer than 1 listing per agent.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:48 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

it IS very bad
Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Look for CA judge's decision on furloughs for CA state workers to try to get a handle on the $42 billion deficit for CA.

on the East coast, NYC is cutting back on public school teacher numbers.

In NY at least, The Age of Entitlement may finally come to a close. Hallelujah!
Old 02-01-2009, 06:19 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by prubin View Post
We sold our home in San Francisco last year. It was in a choice area, Noe Valley. It tool us 4 months to sell, however, our realtor was too optimistic and our initial price was too high.

We have been looking in Marin and I pulse the San Francisco market. There is little inventory.
Out of curiosity, why did you sell? Only because you're now looking to buy again. Noe Valley is a great area in SF. My best friend owns a house there but now moved to the Central Valley and won't sell the house. She's renting it to a friend now.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:45 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiringby50 View Post
Out of curiosity, why did you sell? Only because you're now looking to buy again. Noe Valley is a great area in SF. My best friend owns a house there but now moved to the Central Valley and won't sell the house. She's renting it to a friend now.
We sold for a combination of reasons:
  • asset diversification, i.e., convert home equity to more liquid assets
  • I retired in March -- I am no longer commuting south and we have wanted to move north (Marin)
  • escape the fog and enjoy my first summer in 33 years -- Larkspur was glorious in the summer
  • we no longer found Noe Valley to be a great area and were glad to find a buyer who disagreed with us
We are now renting and have given up on looking in Marin. We don't want to reinvest most of gain. We will likely be relocating to Asheville, NC.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:48 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Prubin - thanks for sharing. Best wishes on the house hunting/move in the future!