Join Early Retirement Today

Re: How Boom of 2006 Ended - Article
Old 10-11-2005, 08:46 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The issue is more complicated than your simple minded approach.

The complicity of the Reagan era democratic congress to running up the national debt, or that the Clinton era boom had the benefit of a fiscally conservative Republican congress cannot be ignored.

Ol_Rancher points out the danger and the possibility here of an Argentina (eg: Peron) style economic disaster based on extreame government spending, very high taxes and crushing debt.

Are you saying that "if only we'd elect Ted Kennedy* then prosperity would be right around the corner" ?
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2005, 08:58 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster

The complicity of the Reagan era democratic congress to running up the national debt, or that the Clinton era boom had the benefit of a fiscally conservative Republican congress cannot be ignored.

Ol_Rancher points out the danger and the possibility here of an Argentina (eg: Peron) style economic disaster based on extreame government spending, very high taxes and crushing debt.

Are you saying that "if only we'd elect Ted Kenedy* then prosperity would be right around the corner" ?
I think I'd just say that it is hard to believe that things would have been worse if we had different parties in control of the executive and legislative branches.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:00 AM   #23

Quote:

Ol_Rancher points out the possibility of an Argentina (eg: Peron) style economic disaster based on high taxes and crushing debt.

Are you saying that "if only we'd elect Ted Kenedy* then prosperity would be right around the corner" ?
Re congress: *RR and GWB both had/have the veto. *Bush has never used it. *Moreover, I don't see anybody in this thread saying that "prosperity is just around the corner" under any conditions. *What does poor Ted Kennedy have to do with the failures of George W. Bush? *IMHO, Kennedy is just a convenient button to push when the Bush base gets restless. *Have you not received the fund-raising letters that trot Kennedy out (you're supposed to shudder, I guess)? *What I do see is an administration that is a complete failure and completely incompetent, not to mention immoral-to-the-core (see the theory of just war). *Recent past administrations have not done so well, either, in some areas. *Overall, however, I believe that any objective observer would conclude, perhaps reluctantly, that the country functioned significantly better during the Clinton era. *I know for sure that my life was better, in a material sense. *Because of the trends put into play by the neo-cons, (e.g., looking into the ugly face of stagflation and national bankruptcy) I am very reluctant to RE myself. *Bushie, you're doing a great job.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:05 AM   #24

well don't expect an argument from me supporting GW.

I agree that he's not up to the job.

In my opinion our political class (both dems and republicans) have failed miserably. Especially in the planning and preparedness for the retirement of the boomers.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:46 AM   #25

Quote:
In my opinion our political class (both dems and republicans) have failed miserably. Especially in the planning and preparedness for the retirement of the boomers.
I agree completely. Not a pretty picture . . .

HH
Old 10-11-2005, 12:44 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I like reading Steve Leeb (The Complete Investor) since he is happy to play the role of both bull and bear. In his latest words about what's coming: "it will be just like the 1970's on steriods".

MasterB, I hereby award you first prize for the best avitar. Makes me laugh every time.
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 01:03 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

If we could just train "Bushie" (as you call him) to play the sax, take calls from his wife while Monica hovers just below waist level and invite Saudi's into the country for flight training, then we'd have it made.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:30 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
If we could just train "Bushie" (as you call him) to play the sax, take calls from his wife while Monica hovers just below waist level and invite Saudi's into the country for flight training, then we'd have it made.
I don't understand this kind of logic. Whether Clinton was a good or a bad person (or president) has nothing at all to do with whether Bush is a good or a bad president (or person). Seems like the country is so blindly polarized now that a lot of people will support their party, right or wrong, bungling or competent, corrupt or honest, rather than look at the facts and the trends in play, and try to come up with some kind of informed opinion.

HH -- a registered Republican
Old 10-11-2005, 01:34 PM   #29

Quote:
Let me guess. You're a 13 year old kid who just started listening to the Rush Limbaugh program?
Old 10-11-2005, 01:38 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
well don't expect an argument from me supporting GW.

I agree that he's not up to the job.

I agree totally with you. The sad thing is, the die hards within the 2 parties are so hung up on "our way is the only way" philosophy that it will be difficult to ever accomplish anything meaningful with respect to social security issues and the like.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:54 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG51
The sad thing is, the die hards within the 2 parties are so hung up on "our way is the only way" philosophy that it will be difficult to ever accomplish anything meaningful with respect to social security issues and the like.
This is exactly the problem, methinks . . .

HH
Old 10-11-2005, 02:34 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Maybe it's time to throw the bums out...

Next election, don't vote for ANY incumbants!!

(Term limits??)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 04:25 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfHaroldHill
* This is exactly the problem, methinks . . .

HH
Well, if you've taken any Political Science Classes you would understand quite well why we have a two party system. And it's very convienient to say that either party does not meet your criteria.

The problem is of course that everyone's third party is different in their own mind, and would run into the same problems if put in a coalition.

I believe that the two party system offers a distinct choice. If Al Gore would have been president, we would not have went to war in Iraq, we would not have been running up huge debts, and 2000 plus soldiers would still be alive. Maybe these are not enough for some, but I believe it's a damn good start.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:34 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Well, if you've taken any Political Science Classes you would understand quite well why we have a two party system. And it's very convienient to say that either party does not meet your criteria.

The problem is of course that everyone's third party is different in their own mind, and would run into the same problems if put in a coalition.

I believe that the two party system offers a distinct choice. If Al Gore would have been president, we would not have went to war in Iraq, we would not have been running up huge debts, and 2000 plus soldiers would still be alive. Maybe these are not enough for some, but I believe it's a damn good start.
I think it would be a good start, too. A very good start. Yes, the advantages of a two-party system can be argued on theoretical grounds. Pragmatically, however, we have some very serious problems now that are not being addressed effectively by either party. I am not optimistic that future nominees from either party will be pragmatic, as long as the electorate can be so easily manipulated into us-vs-them polarization, as it has been since the 2000 campaign.

HH
Old 10-11-2005, 05:15 PM   #35

Quote:
and

Quote:
Are you saying that "if only we'd elect Ted Kennedy then prosperity would be right around the corner" ?
Ahhhh yes. The modern neo-con defense. If someone points out a deficiency in any Republican, don't try to address it . . . turn your attack machine on a Democrat.

Why would GWB need logic, reason or data when he has supporters like this?
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 06:06 PM   #36

Quote:
If Al Gore would have been president, we would not have went to war in Iraq, we would not have been running up huge debts, and 2000 plus soldiers would still be alive. Maybe these are not enough for some, but I believe it's a damn good start.
All speculation. You don't know what would have happened.
No one does.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 06:09 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
All speculation.* You don't know what would have happened.
No one does.
CT knows.* *Some of us can only dream of alternate universes.* *He lives in one.*

I can't stand Bush, but even I'll concede that he was handed this economic mess (and then made it much worse).* *And Clinton was handed the surpluses by the tech bubble (I should know; a lot of that tax revenue came from me).* *They are all scoundrels.* *Bush just doesn't hide it very well.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 06:21 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Are we destined to be ruled
By a bunch of old white men
Who compare the world to football
And are programed to defend
I'd like to try a princess

Jimmy Buffett
mikew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 06:37 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
All speculation.* You don't know what would have happened.
No one does.

JG
Sorry dude! - Bush Jr. thought this war up all by himself and his cronies. He owns this one and his Legacy will be worse than Nixon's.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:50 PM   #40

Quote:
Sorry dude!* - Bush Jr. thought this war up all by himself and his cronies. He owns this one and his Legacy will be worse than Nixon's.
Perhaps, but I agree with Wab. "They are all scoundrels!"

Politics is too serious a matter to be left to the politicians.
(Charles de Gaulle).

That one was for you unclemick

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote