Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

How can private party file lien on property
Old 02-21-2018, 09:00 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

How can private party file lien on property

A retaliative i helped with home down payment had a divorce and home sold then dough was split and evaporated on both sides. He is still family. has 80k debt in school loans and good job. Now is in need of of 3500 to fund a bank account where he can qualify for a 2% student loan refi down from 6.x%. He has a rental property i also assisted with on down payment and home he bought (with mortgage) with proceeds of liquidating original home. I can afford the $3500 but would only do other family gifts as "liens" to prevent shenanigans in future. Is there a way to do a lien as a private party that is binding and near first in line?
nphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2018, 09:29 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If there are no other mortgages on the property you can make a loan and file it with your county. Franklly I would invest in an attorney to see that it was done correctly.

Short story here: DH and I had a condo in a resort community owned free and clear. We sold it with a loan on the title which was filed with the county, paid an attorney to do it right. About a year later they ran into financial difficulty and also filed for divorce. The husband told his creditors that he owned the condo. We got calls from creditors and had to tell them to stand in line. Ultimately we forclosed on the condo. Attorney fee well invested.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:28 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm more interested in the 2% refi, care to share the source?
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:39 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
I'm more interested in the 2% refi, care to share the source?
I was thinking the exact same thing!
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:31 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

https://www.firstrepublic.com/studen...-rates#slide-1
Old 02-22-2018, 06:45 AM   #6

I was interested in the loan too. DS has student loans. Here is what the website says:
Quote:
First Republic will rebate the interest that has been paid against the loan, up to 2.00% of the original loan balance if the loan is paid in full within 48 months.
This is not a 2% loan. There is no mention of what the rate really is. At best he will receive 80K *.02=$1,600 in exchange for you loaning him 3,500 to open the account. The big kicker is: that is only if he pays off the loan in 4 years. That's an aggressive payback schedule. I'd stay away.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:47 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

retaliative = retaliating relative?
Old 02-22-2018, 06:47 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

It is not hard to file a lien, but as others have said if there is someone in front of you then you are out of luck if there is no equity...

Also, I do not know if I would go to the trouble for $3500... sure, it might make the other party more likely to pay, but if he is a dead beat then a lien will not make a difference...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:54 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

it says as low as 1.95% https://www.firstrepublic.com/student-loan-refinancing
Old 02-22-2018, 07:44 AM   #10

In California (and probably other states) the relative would sign a promissory note and deed of trust. The deed of trust is the "lien" that attaches to the real estate. You would then record the deed of trust against the property. You could have an attorney draft it but for such a small loan I am not sure that's economical. Might be better to use Legalzoom or USdeeds.com
Old 02-22-2018, 09:38 AM   #11

If I understand your post, you weren't repaid from the house sold after divorce (you said that money disappeared) and now this same person has a rental property (money reappeared from first home sale) and private residence that you helped with down payment. Now he needs 3500. to fund a bank account to qualify for a refi. Why do you keep lending this person money? It sounds like you aren't being paid back. Maybe you should think of these as gifts and not loans.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:09 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

I do private lending that involves filing liens with county recorder. Though I don’t know the particulars, my real estate attorney charges about $900 per transaction (paid by borrower) to dot the i’s and cross the t’s. I suggest using an attorney.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:18 AM   #13

In reading the OP and there being an expressed need to "prevent future shenanigans", I'm reminded of the perils involved in doing business with relatives. Too often it ends ugly.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
In reading the OP and there being an expressed need to "prevent future shenanigans", I'm reminded of the perils involved in doing business with relatives. Too often it ends ugly.
+1.
I've made a personal decision that I won't lend any money to nieces, nephews, etc. If I do decide they need the money and I want to help them, I give them the money.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:28 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
+1.
I've made a personal decision that I won't lend any money to nieces, nephews, etc. If I do decide they need the money and I want to help them, I give them the money.
I feel the same way about relatives. I have bailed out our kids a couple of times, but they have learned from mistakes.

I have another saying after a high volume loan career--First Loss, Least Loss. If someone has broken my trust once, they're never given another chance to do it again.

I am also a firm believer in letting people handle their own problems.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:23 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
+1.
Exactly this. I am not against helping friends and relatives, and I am not against "loaning" them $$$. But, I would consider it a gift...if they paid me back, then that's a bonus.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:50 PM   #17

Can you? Yes. Should you? No.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nphx View Post
I missed that. Sorry. They do say 1.95-3.95 APR Effective as of 1/15/2018. I wonder what the range is today and how many of the applicants will get approved at that lower rate.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:32 PM   #19

You can issue a second (or third+) mortgage on the property.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
If I understand your post, you weren't repaid from the house sold after divorce (you said that money disappeared) and now this same person has a rental property (money reappeared from first home sale) and private residence that you helped with down payment. Now he needs 3500. to fund a bank account to qualify for a refi. Why do you keep lending this person money? It sounds like you aren't being paid back. Maybe you should think of these as gifts and not loans.
+3,500!

How in the hell can he borrow money from you for a down payment, "loose it" in a divorce, then buy rental property AND buy a private residence.....then have the gall to come to you and ask for 3,500 so he can save money?!?!?!?!

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, how can you be this gullible If you want to GIVE out money like that, you are certainly free to do as you wish....but how can you look at yourself in the mirror and tell yourself this is a loan, just like the other "loan" (that they apparently are perfectly able to pay back to you, but simply never did), and fully expect him to repay you THIS loan, but not the first loan?