How confident were you when you left your job?

How confident were you, when you left your full time job? What made you the most confident (or hesitant), the financial situation you had, or the ability to jump back in? Or maybe it was the mental confidence that you could “make it work” no matter what situation was thrown your way. Or maybe it was because your SO was still working? Or maybe it was something else?

We bailed out just over a year ago and we are moderately confident financially, but extremely confident in all other areas. On the financial side, I feel our SWR rate, at least until the start of SS, is somewhat high in light of the current "low yield" environment. I'm especially concerned about a poor early sequence of returns which would cause some lifestyle cutbacks (non-critical) and more worry.

I've done much hand-wringing about SWR, but in a sense the decision to leave was easy since I absolutely hated my job and realized years ago that I'm just through hustling for w*rk. Over the past several years, I grew disinterested in career advancement and training. I hated the thought of having to look for another job. Even when reading about retirement, I avoid anything even hinting about w*rking, even part time. I just want to go outside and play all day... :D

I continue to read about retirement challenges and just came across the concept that a typical retirement is divided into the "go-go", "slow-go", and "no-go" years. The "go-go" period is what we, and probably most others, what to maximize, the time for travel and lots physical activity. The "slow-go" is more of "sit, eat, and talk", the time for less independent bus tour-type travel. Not many look forward to the self-explanatory no-go years; hopefully the they will be very brief.

Well, I recently realized that we have more than enough to fully enjoy the "go-go" and many/most of the slow-go years, short of an a armageddon health or economic scenario. This is good enough for us since we are tired, literally and physically, of w*rking our tails off doing what someone else wants. It's finally time to start living fully our dreams while we are healthy enough to enjoy them. Just over a year out, retirement gets better with each passing day! :dance:

FB

Back
Top Bottom