Join Early Retirement Today

How conservative are your models?
Old 11-13-2018, 03:05 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How conservative are your models?

I find myself dreaming about FIRE. I run a few different models and my plan to retire @55 seems to be reasonable. But then I start in with the whatifs:

1. 40% market drop the day after I retire
2. 0% real return forever
3. SS benefits reduced by 25%
4. Long term care expenses
5. New cars
6. Pad the regular expenses
7. Add more for known unknowns (house repairs, pet emergencies, etc...)
8. lions and tigers and bears....

After I do all that, it is clear I need to work until the day I die.

What I really want to do is get laid off next year and try it out for a year. If I get scared, then get back into the work force but maybe a less stressful job.

How did you find the balance and courage to RE?
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2018, 03:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Started hanging out here every day
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:17 PM   #3

Just go with your model (probably already using conservative inputs) and adjust if and when the bad stuff happens.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:20 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
+1

It would be interesting to know how influential ER.org was in supporting/encouraging/enabling those who post here to ER. It played a huge role in my ER journey.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:25 PM   #5

If you live in California, you have to add the what-if your house burns down and you get out with only your pajamas, your wallet, and your cat!

But if you're willing to be flexible in your plans if the unthinkable happens, then you'll have the confidence to move forward.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:26 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

It would be interesting to know how influential ER.org was in supporting/encouraging/enabling those who post here to ER. It played a huge role in my ER journey.

All of the above. In addition there has been an educational component (for me) of ER.org. Not always about the financial aspects of ER. It happens slowly and hit-and-miss sometimes, but it’s a good benefit of the site and members who contribute.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:28 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I have a budget based on real numbers including HC costs. I add 30% to that and model away. I still die with millions under all scenarios so I figure I am good.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:33 PM   #8

I'm one of the extremely lucky ones. My Air Force retired pay covers most of our essential expenses and DW's private DB pension covers the rest. So our portfolio is just for discretionary spending. Now that we are taking Social Security benefits we can blow that dough on things like occasional business class flights.

I had already been retired for quite a few years when I discovered this site, and I was just delighted to find so many other early retirees in one place. I still am; it's a wonderful community.

And I've learned quite a lot here. I'm still tweaking things, probably always will.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:34 PM   #9

One of the major factors that drove me to FIRE was the knowledge that I would not live forever. There are things I want to do. So, I try to remember that my time is limited.

Work is not all upside. By definition, each extra year you work, is a year you will not get back. There are pros and cons on both sides of the decision. Try to account for all the trade offs. Find a balance between money and time that seems reasonable. That is all you can do.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:35 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Didn't have a budget, never tracked spending, ran a few calculators (not firecalc) and just retired.

Easy.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:02 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I had been early retired for over five years living on investments only when I found this site. So I had already done the scary part on my own. I somehow found the Trinity study, I did careful budgeting and spending reviews, and I found enough info online to setup a reasonable asset allocation and averaging into my retirement portfolio. So fortunately that happened well enough and I was pretty much established as a retiree before finally finding like minds on this forum.

I hadn’t used Firecalc. It was certainly way more complete than what I had used and it would have been terrific to use before I retired. But I still managed to have a reasonable plan.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:20 PM   #12

Quote:
+100

I spent 5 years reading this forum before joining, but in that time I learned a great deal. Ironically, I found this site searching for joke forums, and stumbled on to "it's funny joke thursday".

From there, I found Firecalc, and the great information from all the members.

A few things I learned, that I did not know before:

0% tax in the 15% (now 12%) bracket on LTG and QD
Roth conversions
A wealth of info on SS and Medicare.

But back to OP. If you plan for every possibility, you're right, you will never stop working. But, then again, you haven't planned for the possibility you CAN'T work. Or for an asteroid strike. At some point you need to take a leap of faith. Sure be conservative, we were. There is a high probability we will never use over 1/2 of the portfolio.

In our case we looked at the last five years of expenses, added $20k for travel or emergencies, no less than 100% in Firecalc, checked how we would do with No SS (but also cutting the travel budget, if needed). In the end we overshot by a lot, because the market continued to be kind (and travel has become less important, mostly domestic, and a lot less than the plan).

The decision is yours, but the time you have is limited and undetermined.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:37 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1

I discovered this site just as my last big job opportunity fell through. Led me to Firecalc, then I discovered other ones and decided I was good to go.
So hugely influential.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:51 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

What I really want to do is get laid off next year and try it out for a year. If I get scared, then get back into the work force but maybe a less stressful job.

I think most people are worried about giving up the security of a job so you're not alone. My feeling is that the longer you wait, the easier it is: you have a bigger nest-egg and you are closer to getting SS and Medicare. But if you have run some models and they all look good, you just have to go for it. It will all work out.

BTW - Age discrimination is alive and well in America so getting laid off with the idea of returning may not work out. At least not for me (in high-tech).
TwoByFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:53 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm not FIRE'd yet. But, IMO, if you can get 95% success on firecalc, and you have a good plan to cover your expenses to get to 59.5, as well as cover estimated HC, then you need to take the plunge. Plus, if things go really bad with your investments, you can always move to LCOL area or reduce the discretionary expenses. There's a lot of fun things to do in life that are nearly free. Lots of folks have stories of friends that retired and then died of cancer shortly after. I have 2 close friends that this happened to, and one that is currently fighting hard right now. Cancer is a bitch!

The future’s uncertain and the end is always near” ...the late great Jim Morrison. enough said.
JackJester is offline   Reply With Quote
mine was quite conservative...
Old 11-14-2018, 01:00 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

mine was quite conservative...

Quote:
I find myself dreaming about FIRE. I run a few different models and my plan to retire @55 seems to be reasonable. But then I start in with the whatifs:

5. New cars
8. lions and tigers and bears.... {oh, my!!}

{preamble....already retired {although probably not “early” relative to this board}, ran numbers using other calcs for additional confidence after running excel models with VERY conservative inputs, joined here after retirement}

consider negative rates of return for first five or ten years in your planning ( I used negative 2%/yr)
check sensitivity by having market drop by some percentage ( like 40% which has been seen a couple of times in recent history ) and drop your portfolio equities by that percentage

plan on having one (or more) health situations where you will max out your deductible for your model

RE: your #5. we bought a new vehicle before retirement (in cash), partly to insure AWD to get through roads vs the FWD sedan before, but also to give a period of roughly five years of likely trouble free service (since w/o w@rk there was gonna be less miles put on it) so less capital needed for e-fund for that. Expect replacement needed less often, due to fewer miles, but plan on having funds for such every eight years as a minimum.

my early planning didn’t have the drop off of SS, rather I examined the sensitivity of my plan by checking it without SS at all, and if I was still likely to make it after a certain time.

I wasn’t optimistic about long term care.... didn’t purchase that insurance because of the history of rate hikes causing owners to need to drop due to exorbitant increases just as they started to need it. The rate of increases in that area is so high that I’m not sure that anyone can fully plan those; having a paid off house that could be used to pay for a year or two is optimal. So plan on being mortgage free before retirement.

AFA your #6: I had looked at the prior five to six years of spending, took the WORST year, and added 25% to that ____used that for planning purposes

For your #1: I planned on lower equity allocation before retirement (50/50 or lower, currently 45/55) and planned on a three to five year CD ladder for expenses (in addition to my pension, which I assumed would lag inflation by at least one per cent). {I was already close enough, vested}

... AFA those animals, the cougars and bears in the area, along with the coyotes, were likely to keep the tigers away, although there’s plenty of deer and rabbits for prey.

if after putting all those inputs into your model that you find you can retire, then I suspect it’s robust enough to have a fairly high confidence that you will succeed.
[you can also post on the “Bogleheads” board for their opinion and for info on other calculators]
FI_RElater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:45 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Started hanging out here every day ;
Quote:
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
All of the above. In addition there has been an educational component (for me) of ER.org. Not always about the financial aspects of ER. It happens slowly and hit-and-miss sometimes, but it’s a good benefit of the site and members who contribute.
+1, all of the above. ER.org was crucial for me too, before and after retiring. The wisdom and support here is mostly exceptional.

OP, there are no guarantees -
  • you plan to the best of your ability,
  • build in a safety factor you can live with (varies for each of us, I’ve read everything from 70% to 200% success rates here or 2%-5% WR’s), and
  • maybe have a plan B, C, D (usually reducing your spending, considered in advance).

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:46 AM   #18

We are good with a 2% WR.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:08 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Something that may be helpful in getting something concrete in your mind is to find and start using some type of budgeting tool to track your actual expenses.

I didn’t use one pre-retirement but I wish I had. I use one now and it’s very helpful for planning/assessment. As a former mayor of NYC said, “How’m I doing?”.

There’s a current thread in which members mention what tools they use that could be a start.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:47 AM   #20

Quote:

5. New cars
8. lions and tigers and bears....

After I gave my boss the indication that I would be retiring in a year and a half it gave me time to mess around with "possibilities". Being a guy that likes math and has a bit of doomsday in me I started building Excel spreadsheets on five or six different scenarios. Off the top of my head they were:

Early Retirement
ER with SS at 62
ER with SS at 70
40% drop in market no SS
40% drop with early SS

It gave me some different strategies (also was conservative in some of my investment returns forecasts) to make a judgement whether I had the fortitude to move forward. I saw that even if the bottom dropped out we could make a go of it and worst case scenario use my SS as a backstop.