Join Early Retirement Today

How could you refrain from shopping?
Old 07-05-2006, 12:08 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

How could you refrain from shopping?

I was reading one of the post about spending $200 in 2 years for new clothes and thought....hmmm, I don't think I could do it. I must admit retail therapy is gooodd.... to me! (but no debts) Love the feeling of having something new, look forward to the day of wearing them, not to mention the new color in the wardrobe.

My question:
How could any of you really deprive yourself of shopping? I can refrain myself from buying new gadgets because they're somewhat expensive...but clothes? Maybe it does help that some are semi retired but to those of my age.....and this is almost the least expensive you can buy compare to buying cars, home system, etc.

Just wonder.
Siv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: How could you refrain from shopping?
Old 07-05-2006, 12:32 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siv
My question:
How could any of you really deprive yourself of shopping? I can refrain myself from buying new gadgets because they're somewhat expensive...but clothes? Maybe it does help that some are semi retired but to those of my age.....and this is almost the least expensive you can buy compare to buying cars, home system, etc.
It's only deprivation if you want it but can't have it.

It seems kinda silly to shop for clothing here. I buy a $50 pair of sneakers every couple years but I think my total clothing expenses in this millenium have been under $500. Even so I still have over two dozen pairs of shorts & t-shirts... how much less laundry can I do?

I'm also a guy, and I mean that in the pejorative sense of the word. To "guys", shopping is a chore to be executed as efficiently, cheaply, & painlessly as possible. Even if I'm shopping for a power tool I'd rather research it on the Internet or on the construction site than putz with it at the store.

In no case do I regard shopping as an elevated societal art form. Spouse understands this and executes her own independent group foraging expeditions. And luckily for me our kid's at an age where she wouldn't be caught dead with parents in a public place...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:39 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm

I have a weakness for shopping - try to force myself to move quickly thru ACE and avoid the tool sections of Lowes and Home Depot.

Salvation Army is another weak spot - $22.95 suit, $2.75 dress shoes and $2.75 for shirt and splurged $1.50 for an Italian silk tie - diner, wedding, reception this weekend. Unfortunately I wore it all early for an unplanned funeral. Also a coffee table and recliner for the house.

AND, and, be a retired 'goo and stick' (adhesives, coatings, composites, materials, etc)) guy - I have a weakness for chemicals - have/had* beater old trucks - never meet an auto additive I didn't want or had to try - got a can* of Walmart Restore(for oil) in my 247000 mile Sonoma right now. Tuffoil(teflon) and Mobil full synthetic in prior years.

Nord's posts are particularly dangerous - long dimension of the house roof addresses the east to west sun most of the day - Aquila(Kansas City) has filed for a 22% rate increase - as a retired aerospace cat with a proven weakness for 'tech toys' ---welll - time will tell, time will tell.

heh heh heh
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:49 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

My believe is people will always shop whether it's new cars, outfit, gadgets, furniture. Ok, guys probably don't like malls but they shop for power tools,etc...which costs more, dont' they? Personally, I notice I would go for lean 3 months, start feeling bored then go on buying binge. Not very bad but it's could equal to 2 months spending. Felt bad about it but thought ....what the heck...I deserve to make myself feel good. "DESERVE" is the bad word...I know but it's like people who go on strict diet then blew it off worse than before.

Just my assumption that regardless how cheap/ thrifty anyone is, letting some steam out is healthy.

Those that spent only $100 a year on clothing probably bought another car in return.

How is others out there?? *
Siv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 04:08 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Once I retired, I notice my set of clothes and shoes that I actually wore kept shrinking. After a couple of years, it was down to T-shirts and a lot of technical nylon clothing that turned out to be very durable, comfortable and super easy for travel. Got rid of most of the rest of it. That was a good thing too, because when we switched to RV living, we had very limited space for clothing.

I'm a gal, and I HATE clothes shopping. I think I hate the trying on clothes part the most. Once I figure out a size in a given brand that fits, I order via internet. I haven't needed to in a while.

As for "retail therapy" - my idea of a splurge is eating a nice meal out or buying nice groceries/wine for a nice meal in. I don't shop for fun at all - not my thing. But I do other things for fun that cost money. You gotta have enough room in your budget to allow for spending on fun.

I don't shop for "stuff" anymore and so "stuff" doesn't accumulate to bog me down. Living in an RV - you have to get rid of something as soon as you buy something new. It's very nice traveling through life with a light load.

Audrey
Old 07-05-2006, 04:19 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Let me be a poster child as a warning to others:

We got totally wiped out in Katrina - got out with my trusty DRIP stock file cabinets, a weeks underwear, a few family pictures and Jimmy Buffett shirts.

IT HASN'T EVEN BEEN A YEAR YET!

Reading this thread on my first cup of coffee and looking around - boy o boy - a house and tool shed with 'stuff'.

Do I own it - OR does it own me

Sure puts a dent in my greater -'agile, mobile and hosile' theory.

Depending on your ER lifestyle plan - keeping a grip on 'stuff' like freedom requires eternal vigilence.

heh heh heh - time for a second cup and hopefully back to rational.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:19 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siv
My question:
How could any of you really deprive yourself of shopping? I can refrain myself from buying new gadgets because they're somewhat expensive...but clothes?
Easily. I realized long ago that the minor jolt of excitement from purchasing something is fleeting. For the most part, I'd rather keep my money and have the freedom and peace of mind that comes from financial independence.

As for clothes, I haven't bought a piece of clothing for six years -- when I need clothes I just ask for them as gifts on holidays. I get something I need and they (wife, mom, sister) are happy to know what to buy me. I do still need to buy a new pair of shoes every year or so.
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:11 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think the last time I bought clothes was over a year ago. I was going down to Florida with some friends for the week of Memorial Day, and I vaguely remember buying a few things before that. I might've spent $50-60 at one outlet store, and maybe $50-60 at another.

Now I did get a few shirts and pants for Christmas as gifts, but that's about it. I'm sitting here at work right now wearing a pair of khakis that are God-only-knows how old, a shirt I bought at one of those outlet stores, and an old pair of Adidas shell toes from 2000 (I know that because Adidas stamps the manufacture date on the tongue) that still have some life left in 'em.

One thing that helps is that I don't have the type of job where you have to dress up constantly. Jeans, sneakers, and a halfway decent shirt are usually all it takes.
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:16 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I have a weakness for shoes.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:37 AM   #10

I 2nd the pursuit of less clutter. :P esp. when some family members want to use my place for long term storage
Old 07-05-2006, 08:04 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Easy- I get a rush from taking money I would have spent and see it go into an investment or savings account. I always ask myself do I really need such and such object.
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:13 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I have a weakness for shoes.
I too have a weakness for shoes. I also have to dress up for work, which since it is mandatory is where I try to channel my shopping dollars whenver I get the urge to "buy something new". Since my entire extended family had all of their possessions wiped out by Katrina, I'm much less interested in buying things for the house. For me shopping tends to be a social activity, and peer pressure doesn't have much of an impact on me - I frequently get my shopping fix by watching others splurge.
Lagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:45 AM   #13

I'm in the "under $200" for clothing in the last 2 years. I keep a stable of 6-7 pair of pants suitable for work (khakis of various shades of khaki or offwhite) and a stable of 8-12 collared shirts for work. Then I've got a few dozen "other" shirts of various degrees of rippedness, stainedness, and cleanliness that are for general purpose wear and out-n-about town stuff. Maybe 5 pairs of shorts, 1 pair of work shoes, 1 pair tennis shoes, $1 flip flops, and 2 pairs of grassmowing shoes.

Stuff just doesn't wear out that frequently. When it does, I replace it. $200 buys me a pair of good shoes, and 8-10 articles of clothing (shorts/pants/shirts for ~$15 each). When a work shirt starts getting worn out, it gets switched to "weekend wear".

I hate shopping. It's very simple. I minimize my time shopping as much as possible. When I go clothes shopping, I find the right size, show my wife what it looks like to get her approval, then go verify that it fits appropriately. I buy ~75% of what I take to the dressing room. In contrast, my wife buys ~10% of what she takes to the dressing room.

I usually manage to get my weekly shopping done in a 1 hour visit to Superwalmart.

Last weekend I messed up - DW wanted a new tv, so we spent 4-5 hours shopping for the tv at a half dozen places, getting a helper to carry it and borrowing a pickup to transport it in. Grrr....
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:05 AM   #14

I'm with Nords. When I am absolutely forced to shop I get it done as quickly and efficiently as possible. Since I am retired my standard dress is jeans and a t-shirt. I own four pair of jeans ($17.99 at Target). I buy two pairs of sneakers a year. Any other clothes depend on what DW gives me as gifts for birthdays, anniversarys, etc. I have absolutely no interest in tools, gadgets, electronics, etc. I much prefer to spend discretionary funds on meals out, entertainment and travel.

Grumpy
Old 07-05-2006, 10:14 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I love going to the mall; best sightseeing in town...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:20 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I do not mind going out to buy something I need. Like a new pair of shoes when the old ones wear out. What I do not understand is people who do not really have anything in mind that they need to buy, but they go out shopping. Just go to the mall and walk around to see what is in the stores and then buy a bunch of stuff. Spend all day doing this.

Old 07-05-2006, 10:29 AM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hi Sil,

I tell my wife when we retire all I will need is $50 worth of clothes.
She is Thai so we will retire in a very warm island in Thailand.
But she loves clothes so god bless her she can have all the shoes she wants, better her doing that then drinking at some bar. So live it up, your a lady, have fun, buy all the clothes you cn afford.
Don
Old 07-05-2006, 10:35 AM   #18
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm in the sub $200 category except for running shoes and they run me 80 bucks every six months. Of course they last forever after they're out of the running stable so I never have to buy casual shoes. Most of my work shirts have the company logo and I get them for free at seminars and meetings. I'm always on the lookout on the clearance rack and my latest find was a nice pair of khaki slacks for five bucks. Of course they were four inches too long but they fit well after I hemmed them. I have a stockpile of shirts that I'm saving for retirement that should last for ten years easily. Polo shirts never go out of style. Neither do flip-flops.
Doctordec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:56 AM   #19

One of the first things I did when I ER'd was to go to costco and buy a couple of pairs of jeans that were one size bigger than what I had been wearing while working. In ER I dress for comfort rather than to conform to some idealized idea of what a worker should look like.

I only bought two pairs so that I would have some motivation to slim myself down and fit for real into my old pants. Amazingly, I found that those two pairs of pants were generally enough... In ER I can wash both pairs of pants while I walk around the house in my nightclothes. I can wear each pair for two or even three days.

After 4 months of being ER, I am beginning to slim down and one of the two pairs of pants now requires a belt to stay up. Hopefully soon those 2 pairs of jeans will get moved to storage.

With shirts it's interesting as well... on days when I don't have any social appointments I find myself looking through my drawers for the ugliest shirts that I would never wear to work, so that I can get some use out of them running errands or hanging around the house.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:59 AM   #20

hates shopping. end of story.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote