Join Early Retirement Today

How did this guy get invited
Old 05-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How did this guy get invited

to speak at the federal Reserve?

Robert Wenzel spoke at the Fed last Wednesday, and said some pretty interesting stuff to them. The article I saw was Robert Wenzel to Federal Reserve: "Leave the Building to the Four-Legged Rats" - Forbes

The full text of the speech is at EconomicPolicyJournal.com: My Speech Delivered at the New York Federal Reserve Bank

He makes some pretty damning points about the Fed and it's actions over time. I agree on much, disagree on some, but overall think it's the most interesting commentary on politics and economic policy since Stephen Colbert spoke at the 2006 White House Correspondents Dinner. Since I think the Fed's actions directly impact all of our lives, both in retirement and while still working, I hope (but doubt) they at least consider some of what he said.

My favorite part was his finale -
Quote:
Letís have one good meal here. Letís make it a feast. Then I ask you, I plead with you, I beg you all, walk out of here with me, never to come back. Itís the moral and ethical thing to do. Nothing good goes on in this place. Letís lock the doors and leave the building to the spiders, moths and four-legged rats.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I also find curious the general belief in the Keynesian model of the economy that somehow results in the belief that demand drives the economy, rather than production.
Do you not believe that products once made will adjust to a market clearing price?Ē
I had a college prof who said there was a big debate in the 19th century between "Supply creates demand" and "Demand creates supply". He said that the answer turned out to be "both".

In the long run, supply creates demand. It appears that human wants are elastic enough that the more we can make the more we'll consume.
However, in the short run, producers only make what they can sell in the near term. If consumers decide to dial back consumption for a while, they set off a decreasing cycle.

Some will say "But in the long run, the Market will reverse that cycle, markets will eventually clear."
Others will say that it takes a long time for some markets to reach new equilibrium, especially labor markets. Or, in shorthand, "In the long run, we're all dead."

Like Wenzel says, he and the other side are simply starting from assumptions that are so far apart, it's hard to imagine a resolution.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:45 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

He's not the only one. Jim Grant made a speech to the Fed in April and was just as brutal with a similar theme. Why do I get the feeling most people on this forum don't even know who Von Mises or Keynes were......

http://csinvesting.files.wordpress.c...april-2012.pdf
Old 05-05-2012, 05:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave View Post
He's not the only one. Jim Grant made a speech to Fed in April and was just as brutal with a similar theme. Why do I get the feeling most people on this forum don't even know who Von Mises or Keynes were......

http://csinvesting.files.wordpress.c...april-2012.pdf
Thanks for the link, I always find Grant entertaining. My feeling is different than yours regarding Von Mises and Keynes. Lots here know who they were but not so many care.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Lots here know who they were but not so many care.
Well, it's a start.....and at least we can all recite Buffet's 30 second sound bite on gold in perfect fashion (of course I'm still trying to imagine dinner conversations between a young Warren and his father....)

Enough Fed bashing. Time to get back to the real world and take bets on when Ben will instruct Brian Sack and the boys to whip up another trillion or so in mouse click asset purchases after Twist is finished (should be a clear vein somewhere without too many needle marks) so we can deal with this pesky employment participation rate..
Old 05-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #6
gone traveling

I love this review I really love it
Old 05-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My feeling is different than yours regarding Von Mises and Keynes. Lots here know who they were but not so many care.
More's the pity.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
More's the pity.
I know what you mean.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:59 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Thanks for the link, I always find Grant entertaining. My feeling is different than yours regarding Von Mises and Keynes. Lots here know who they were but not so many care.
It's not a matter of "don't care". It's hard to discuss them without lots of "political" talk.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
It's not a matter of "don't care". It's hard to discuss them without lots of "political" talk.

I think you are exactly right. People who think either one or the other of Mises or Keynes was brilliant and the other totally wrong should read more about both of them.