Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I bought my last one by going through the internet...

Then the dealers helped me out by raising the prices... I had a cash for clunkers trade in... I was surprised that one Toyota guy told me that since there was a lot of demand they 'had' to raise the price...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
We used Consumer Reports' service of providing us with the dealer's cost of the vehicles and options, then went to a few local dealers and negotiated from there.....
+1

but a funny good thing happened in that the model I wanted was delivered while I was out of town on business and we agreed that I would pick it up that Saturday which happened to be the 1st of October. I was up early the morning I was to pick it up and noticed that overnight that the incentive had increased by $500. I printed out that web page and showed it to them at the dealership and got the added $500 off. Sweet.

Also as sweet was the cash back incentive for financing it with them. Made two monthly payments and then paid off the loan.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #43
gone traveling

I decide what car I want, and then shop local dealer inventory via the internet. When I find several that I may be interested in, I go to that dealer for a test drive.

If I'm still interested after the test drive, I'll make an offer. I'm not a big believer in "invoice price", so my starting offer is usually 20- 25% less than sticker.

If they don't want to deal, I leave. I always get called back after a day or two. The last vehicle I bought was a 2011 Kia Sportage, sticker was $25,750 and they sold it to me for $21,950 - about 15% off sticker.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We just bought a new car a couple of weeks ago and -- for the first time in many years -- bought from the local car dealer after test driving.

My approach the past several cars has been to do a test drive and then to use a website like Edmunds or similar to submit to several dealers online.

I usually write the dealers and tell them to contact me by email only. If any call me I tell them to contact me in writing (if they call twice I refuse to deal with them). I tell each one what I want and collect what they say they can get. My perception is that they fall within 3 groups:

1. Mid-range. Fairly responsive, pricing starts a little high but willing to negotiate. Don't bother you too much and if they have what you want can work out OK.

2. Really good. Most of these respond quickly, give you a no-BS response and give a good price right off the bat. They may go down a little but the pricing is already good when they start. This is who I usually end up buying from. This is what I did on the car I bought last year (Ford Explorer). Totally painless process and a very good price. Usually this will be someone in the internet or fleet department. This was very fast and smooth.

3. Really bad. These are aggressive to a fault and want to charge outrageous prices. Often claim the car you want is unavailable. When I was buying my explorer the "bad" dealer wanted to charge us $5000 more than we ended up paying! And, even when I called them on various things they said that were untrue, etc. they still kept calling me, emailing me. Just awful.

The problem with buying from the guys at the car dealership is that it is hard to get them to be reasonable on price and they tend to waste your time.

This time we were buying an inexpensive car that DH would drive some but mostly for our daughter to use while learning to drive and after. We looked at several cars but decided on a Hyundai Veloster which is apparently a car in short supply. The usual email didn't work at all. The best of the group was just non-responsive and slow but wasn't insulting and didn't repeatedly call me. The quickest response from the dealer who wouldn't budge on $1000 over MSRP (the car is not highly discounted but I felt I could better than that). One dealer is still calling me despite my stating that I've bought elsewhere and to quit calling. None of the dealers could offer or obtain a car remotely close to what I wanted (in terms of options).

In the meantime we decided we might as well talk to the local dealer. We actually settled on a price fairly quickly. The car I wanted wasn't on their lot and it took 2 weeks to actually get a car. The worst was when the 2nd car they offered (first one fell through) arrived and the interior was the wrong color. We finally did agree to change our exterior color (from red to Vitamin C orange) and picked up the car last week. I still would prefer to do it by email in most cases, but I realize that maybe doesn't always work as well for a car that is in short supply.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Original Poster Here: Wow, thank you all for your detailed responses! I have read through all of them and learned a lot from your experiences.

I plan to go through a broker to get my bids, make the purchase, and then sell the old car independently. I don't look forward to dealing with selling the old car, but I think it's best to keep the two deals separate. Thanks again.

Steve
Old 09-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #46

I sold my old clunker ( 15yrs/ 225K miles) to CARMAX. Their offer was reasonable based on blackbook prices. Could have sold it for few $$$ more on my own but wasn't worth the time/hassle.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:40 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Questions for everyone.

Are you able to get the car w/o paying anything for the 'funny' dealer add-ons (pin-stripe, rust-proof, floor-mats, sealer, etc)?

Are you able to get the car w/o signing something that moves complaints to their 'third party' arbitrator?

-ERD50
Old 09-18-2012, 10:55 PM   #48

Bought a new 2012 in Dec. 11. DW had already decided what. The brother of a good friend (and a casual friend) happened to sell them. Did homework on Internet, calculated what I thought was a good price. Talked to DF'B, he knew me well enough to know what I wanted. His price worked according to Internet Homework. Shopped it a two other dealers with no takers. When I wrote the cheque, the nice lady said "salesman says don't bother with extra crap but I have to offer it, ok, no problem, sign here".

Same make and model as the 2002 it replaced. Old one was bottom of the line, few options. This one was top, all options. Price difference was $1K. I think I got screwed in 02.

Previously I bought a used truck. 1 year old, 8K miles. Mentioned it to a friend who deals heavy trucks. He said "I could buy it for $X, would sell it to you for $Y or to a member of the public for $Z". Offered $Y-10% and paid $Y-2% which worked out to MSRP-22%. Seemed ok.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:21 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Bought 2012 Santa Fe in July. Did my research, found an ad for exact options I wanted at a dealer 80 miles away, then took to local Hyundai dealer and asked if they could match the deal. They beat the offer by $750. Was going to pay with cash, but they offered me $250 to take 0% financing for 3 years. So the $27,000 sits in ING earning .8% interest. I simply transfer the amount needed for payment to my checking every month.

Retired Fall of 2011 @58 :)
vttlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Questions for everyone.

Are you able to get the car w/o paying anything for the 'funny' dealer add-ons (pin-stripe, rust-proof, floor-mats, sealer, etc)?

Are you able to get the car w/o signing something that moves complaints to their 'third party' arbitrator?

-ERD50
Yes to the first. I just tell them that I don't want them and have never had a problem. Around here the dealers try to tack on a "documentation fee" or "doc fee" which is usually pre-printed on their contract form and is really for them doing the paperwork associated with the sale. I had one salesman try to con me that it was required by state law and told him he was full of sh*t. In each case I tell them that I refuse to pay for them doing their paperwork and they typically back down and just adjust the top line price downward to make up the difference.

Never tried on the second and I probably have signed something like that but it has never been a problem for me. I suppose you could refuse and walk out the door if it is a dealer thing, but if it is a manufacturer thing then I don't see that you have much leverage but it wouldn't hurt to try.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Yes to the first. I just tell them that I don't want them and have never had a problem. Around here the dealers try to tack on a "documentation fee" or "doc fee" which is usually pre-printed on their contract form and is really for them doing the paperwork associated with the sale. I had one salesman try to con me that it was required by state law and told him he was full of sh*t. In each case I tell them that I refuse to pay for them doing their paperwork and they typically back down and just adjust the top line price downward to make up the difference.

Never tried on the second and I probably have signed something like that but it has never been a problem for me. I suppose you could refuse and walk out the door if it is a dealer thing, but if it is a manufacturer thing then I don't see that you have much leverage but it wouldn't hurt to try.
Thanks, the trouble I've seen is the dealer adds that junk to every car on the lot. I guess I'd need to make the case ahead of time.

As far as the arbitration agreement, I did avoid it once, just flat out told the guy I would need a good reason to sign my rights away. After a very firm push or two (doing my best Clint Eastwood glare), he wrote "declined" on it and moved on. Another time, it was late, and this is one of the last things they hand you to sign. I fought, but the guy said the owner requires it, and they can't sell a car w/o it. And I'm always the only guy that ever didn't want to sign it (either false, or there sure are a lot of sheep out there). I was thiiiiis clooooose to walking out, but I caved. Wasn't sure if I could find another dealer that would waive it, so I went ahead.

The arbitration contract is a doozy - you use their mediator, and you pay the first $X in expenses for any dispute. It's really one-sided.

edit/add: Doc fee - yep, I had a salesman word it very carefully - if I didn't know better, I would have thought it was a required fee. But in IL, there is simply a regulated maximum fee they can charge. They are not obligated to charge it. I thought I had found an error on their docs, I was going to ask for a refund of that fee, but it turned out to be correct.

-ERD50
Old 09-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Thanks, the trouble I've seen is the dealer adds that junk to every car on the lot. I guess I'd need to make the case ahead of time.
I've run into that too. I just tell them that I don't care for them and they have no value to me so they can either take them off the car (like car mats) or not but there is no way I am paying for them. I give those things zero value in any offer I make so while in the dealer's mind he may be including something for them, I'm not.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #53

In 2010, I used Truecar to figure out what a good target price would be. I also was paying cash and selling my old car separately. Went to the closest dealer to test drive the Prius (truly to make sure I really wanted one), intending to contact other dealers via the internet to actually purchase the car.

After the test drive, I was ready to leave as they didn't have one equipped the way I wanted on the lot. Within minutes the salesman found a Prius at another dealer equipped exactly as I wanted it and agreed to sell it to me for about $50 more than my target price (he subtracted all of the "junk fees" to get there). So I bought on the spot and picked it up a few days later. Most painless car shopping experience I've ever been through.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I've run into that too. I just tell them that I don't care for them and they have no value to me so they can either take them off the car (like car mats) or not but there is no way I am paying for them. I give those things zero value in any offer I make so while in the dealer's mind he may be including something for them, I'm not.
Reminds me of what happened when I bought my last car. In addition to the sticker price, there was a second "sticker" with 3 costly and mostly worthless dealer-installed options costing about $1,200. One item had some value but was vastly overpriced. I told the salesman that I did not care and wasn't paying for the other two after he told me that "All of the cars have those things." I added a small amount (I kept that to myself) for the third one when I calculated my price.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Since the OP is paying cash, I'll share my favorite car buying story. I had found a car that I was interested in and negotiated hard with the dealer but we reached an impasse where we were ~$500 apart so I went home. That was on a Saturday. On my way to work on Monday I dropped them off a check made out to them for $150 more than my last offer (the price we were negotiating was an all inclusive drive-away price) and gave it to the salesman and told him it was my final offer for the car and if they wanted to sell it to me for that I would buy it but if not to just rip up the check and sent it back to me at the address on the check. I hadn't even finished my first coffee at work and the guy called to ask me when I wanted to pick up the car.

A couple years later I tried the same thing with a dealer down the road and a couple days later received my torn up check in the mail.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:53 PM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just wondering, DH is a GM Retiree, so we have that discount. Would shopping the car on the Internet still work for us? Or is that one too many discounts?
Old 09-19-2012, 11:27 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

My most recent purchase was a 2012 Mustang GT. There are a handful of pretty active Mustang forums, so I was able to learn about a few peculiar incentives:

- one was a $750 brochure coupon that appeared in a significant percentage of the brochures sent out in response to requests submitted to Ford.com. I made 3 requests and two of the brochures I received had the coupon.

- the other was the availability of "X-Plan" pricing, one of the a discount plans offered to Ford employees, retirees, suppliers, etc. On the forums I learned that members of the Mustang Club of America for ($50 for a year) are entitled to X-Plan pricing.

I put off ordering one until I saw photos of the 2013's at the LA Auto Show (late fall), I didn't care for the changes, and fortunately there were sizable incentives on the 2012's toward the end of the model year.

So if the car you're interested in has active forums, you might learn about more incentives than you would otherwise.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:43 AM   #58

In 1997-at the dealership. Lots of haggling and I had to walk away twice before we agreed on a price. Still driving that car (import). At that time we were negotiating all in price. Once the deal was done a d I was turned over to the business manager they tried to add admin and then freight/psi. We stood our ground and started to get up from the chair to leave. The business manage relented. We of course passed on all the other high margin stuff-extended warranty, undercoat, etc.

Bought anther car for DW two years ago. Went with a low mileage higher end pre-owned import model. Paid exactly half of what the new model would have cost us at that time. It took some effort...we were looking around or two months in order to find the 'right' car.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBay View Post
Just wondering, DH is a GM Retiree, so we have that discount. Would shopping the car on the Internet still work for us? Or is that one too many discounts?

I thought the best price was the one that GM had... I bought one when somehow my brother was connected to GM... IIRC, there were two kinds of discounts.... buy at a price GM published and pick it up from whatever dealer you wanted... no extra fees, no fuss... and the dealer got a fee for getting it ready....

Or, you find the best price and get an additional amount off the car... I think this was not as good as #1, but for some models it was...

If you are going for #2... then yes, you need to get the best deal you can...
Old 09-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBay View Post
GM retiree price is way below invoice. Just provide proof, and the dealer gives you the price. Don't let them add pinstriping, rust protection, etc. Also, do not pay the add-on "processing fee", that fee is nothing but a moneymaker.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote