Join Early Retirement Today
Old 09-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by MelBay View Post
Just wondering, DH is a GM Retiree, so we have that discount. Would shopping the car on the Internet still work for us? Or is that one too many discounts?
Probably depends on the incentive programs. I bought a new truck back in '06. The company I worked for had an employee discount plans for various things, cars, appliances, electronics etc. For the cars they had the car employee price which was x amount below invoice. So I got that, 4k rebate because what bought was an 05, 3K off for financing through the car company ( paid it off the first payment ), 1.5k off for regional discount Katrina recovery, and I forget 2 or 3 other smaller ones.

rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #62
Used to work for a Big-3 co yrs ago and still have relatives who are ER'ed from all 3. I've bought most of my vehicles under employee discounts, although also bought other makes in dealer negotiations and leased a few times. True employee/retiree discounts are best. Sometimes there are employee bonus cash incentives that make deals too good to pass up. Notch below this is supplier discount (like Ford X-Plan) that is often beatable with good negotiating skills (except on a few hot sellers). Friends/family discounts are variable. Keep in mind these are general observations- YMMV.
For ordinary (non-employee) deals ALWAYS do your homework!!! I've found Edmunds to be better info than Consumer Reports. Info more UTD & accurate for your local area (i.e. TMV). End of mo or qtr usu best time to haggle, but try not to car shop when you are desperate (i.e. in love with ONE specific car or current car is seriously dead). And never, ever take 1st offer for either the new car or your trade-in. Some states tax only the diff in cost between new vehicle & TI so that can affect decision on handling your old ride. And +1,000,000 on refusing expensive dealer add-ons like paint protection, rust proofing, over priced extended warranties, etc. As Nancy Regan said- just say NO!!!!

DW hates the process, but I've come to almost enjoy the art of the car deal. Often takes a few days, and yes sometimes deal just ain't happening. In buying a vehicle this yr I made a final cash offer (trade was involved) & sales manager said no claiming he would loose $$. Knew that was BS but did not say so. Calmly thanked 'em for their time & walked out. Got call that eve saying "my new car" was waiting for me- at their price. Said my price or no dice. Now DW was starting to cave 'cause she wanted THAT car. Reminder her that's sign of weakness. Three days later (EOM) dealer calls & accepts my deal. No extra add-on charges, financing, or dealer 'packs', & yes I kept the rebates. Saved $2400 vs their "final" offer, tho DW still says she hates car negotiations. Disciplined, calm, well-informed bargaining usu works & can be well worth your time.

ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Costco, Costco, Costco.

Purchase before our latest was a dealer 'walk-in'... I needed to shower after the experience.
ejw93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:46 AM   #64
gone traveling
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
Notch below this is supplier discount (like Ford X-Plan) that is often beatable with good negotiating skills...
True; I ordered/purchased my '02 Mustang GT vert at a price under the X-plan.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #65
Last time I bought a new car it was 1973 and I paid cash. Since then I just buy a car that's 7-10 years old and pay cash and drive it until it can't be driven any longer.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #66
If you live in a large city with many dealerships, I think one of the internet purchase tools works well.

I live in a tiny town, there is only one dealership for each I simply go into the dealer with a price in hand (can get invoice price from various sources) and say "I'd rather buy this car locally than drive to city xxx 1 hour away...but I will go there if I can't get a good price from you. I'm looking for a cash let's not talk about payments, leases, trade-ins, undercoating, or all the other ancillary items..let's talk price including taxes, destination, the temporary plate you're going to put on, and every single dollar I'll be paying."

Be sure to talk to the sales manager, not just a salesperson. A salesperson is often a subcontractor of the dealer, and their signature/word may not be legally binding. Tell the sales manager you want to purchase today, and that if you walk out, you're gone for good.
"Live every day as if it were your last, and one day you'll be right" - unknown
Finance Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Bought a new Corolla about a year ago and was prepared to pay cash for it, but decided to take advantage of Toyota's 0% 36 month deal. Could not ignor 0% $.
Part-Owner of Texas

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
.......Could not ignore 0% $.
Good point. You have to put it in a savings account to get that rate.
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:44 PM   #69
Originally Posted by Seeking Hobbes View Post
One resource I found invaluable for my purchase (2 years ago) was a car forum catering to the make and model of the car I purchased. Members of this forum, some working for dealerships had posted (anonymously) the actual cost and invoice cost for each model and every package/option. This gave me a starting point from which I asked 4 or 5 dealerships to bid.
The internet forums are a great resource to find out the problems with particular makes and models. Also, check out the government vehicular complaint website to see if there have been complaints.
Never hurts to know stuff.

If link does not work just do a search on "government vehicular complaints" and the website will come up in the search.

sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote