Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-31-2010, 04:18 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Under budget in every category except gifts.

This is our first year to practice living on expected retirement income and while I hoped we could spend XX amount on gifts, as usual we got carried away buying for the grandkids...but we always pay retirement funding first so no harm, no foul.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2010, 04:29 PM   #22
Administrator

I came out under budget for the year (don't have my spreadsheet here so I can't give an exact number yet), but the amazing thing to me is that $1K of my savings was in December!

I just noticed that this morning that I spent $1K less in December than I had expected to spend. I am still mystified as to how that came to be, but my bank balance is what it is.

I'll have to sit down and analyze what on earth happened between November 30th and December 31st, to lower my spending so much.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:41 PM   #23

Rough guesstimate is about 14% under budget since DH retired June 1. We had a major purchase of new replacement windows which came out of savings that is not included in that. The cash had been in savings a long time.

A couple of times we went over on groceries or gifts but rarely on anything else.

Feels great to know we can still save.

One factor in this is that we stopped any withholding when DH retired. He was over withheld while still employed and between that and the $1500 credit for the windows, I knew we would still get a refund.

I expected to start withholding again in Jan. 2011, but my pre-planning for 2011 includes using the Retirement Saver's Credit for the first time. Our income has dropped so much that we can finally use that and it will have a nice impact on our 2011 tax liability.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'll have to sit down and analyze what on earth happened between November 30th and December 31st, to lower my spending so much.
I'll bet those cold New Orleans winter nights must simply fly by in the W2R household

Good luck with your accounting and all the very best for 2011
Old 12-31-2010, 04:45 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't recall W2R making recent posts about eating out. Could it be that simple?
Old 12-31-2010, 04:58 PM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I don't recall W2R making recent posts about eating out. Could it be that simple?
I have still been eating out at least once daily*, although maybe at less expensive places. One lunch was on a Christmas gift card. I am mystified so this will be fun to figure out.

* (Today - - tomato basil chicken on angelhair pasta at Copeland's, with diet coke; $13 covered lunch and tip so that is one of my more expensive lunches)

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-31-2010, 05:05 PM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I'll bet those cold New Orleans winter nights must simply fly by in the W2R household
They sure do! I have been enjoying my Wii and staying away from the mall to avoid the Christmas shoppers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
Good luck with your accounting and all the very best for 2011
Thank you, and the same to you!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-31-2010, 05:16 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

A little more than 1% under budget.
Very happy about that. The budget is subject to change from year to year based on whether we need to replace a car or something like that, but this was a "normal" year.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:22 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

not so good. in fact just today we reviewed the annual recap, which seems to magnify all of those "small" issues we had during numerous months. I just ran the '11 budget and shared it with DW, the only thing we can do is reduce our planned (and actual, of course) spending in '11 to compensate for over-spending in '10. needless to say it wasn't a very pleasant conversation.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:23 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Not that I am a little *nal about finances but we came in $315.88 per month under the budget. $59.58 per month of that was lower than budgeted repair expenses. Not bad since we bought 10 new tires this year. Health care was $5800 below budget as I plan to fully meet the deductible each year and we were fortunate enough again to not get near the deductible. The health care budget is a separate amount as it has a much much high inflation rate also.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:39 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
...I am mystified so this will be fun to figure out...
I used to use MS Money just to track investments. After I switched to Quicken, started to use more of the software functions to look at spending also.

I have yet no reasons to change any of our spending habits based on this new knowledge (hey, isn't LBYM about never having to say that you are sorry to have spent on something), but it is nice to, with just one click, find out how much we spend on groceries, on gasoline, etc...

I remember that you pay cash and do not use credit cards, so the software would not work for you. But for me, it works well so far even though T-Al cursed at it.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:43 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

We were way over budget in the first half of the year but we have been on budget in the second half. I retired at the end of July and we have been living on our somewhat reduced retirement budget ever since.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:53 PM   #33

Spent way over budget. 71K + 17K for a car. I did work PT selling boats till Sept and that brought in 80K so all in all not to bad. DW is talking new kitchen, I hope the market treats us good again next year.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:56 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Spent less than half of my pension so added to investments - guess I need to change my spending habits since I can't take it with me. I made an effort to spend more with several weeks of travel (western U.S. and FL) so plan to travel even more next year and maybe buy a new boat.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:04 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I do not budget, but I do loosely track my expenses. They were about the same as last year.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:16 PM   #36

Budget $75,000
Expected to spend $50,000
Spent $60,000

My budget has several categories I really do not expect to spend annually. However, my spreadsheet forecast 25 years, and I know there will be a year when I will spend some of those amounts. So, the numbers are really just about what I expected.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:50 PM   #37
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I used to use MS Money just to track investments. After I switched to Quicken, started to use more of the software functions to look at spending also.

I have yet no reasons to change any of our spending habits based on this new knowledge (hey, isn't LBYM about never having to say that you are sorry to have spent on something), but it is nice to, with just one click, find out how much we spend on groceries, on gasoline, etc...

I remember that you pay cash and do not use credit cards, so the software would not work for you. But for me, it works well so far even though T-Al cursed at it.
You are right; I am so old-fashioned! I prefer to do my tracking myself. I have thought about buying Quicken but it just "isn't me", I guess. Happy New Year, by the way!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-31-2010, 07:05 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
We really blew our 2010 budget- over by 20%. Must do better in 2011. Major overages in health care, gifts, travel, and auto. How did you guys do?
Well, that's a lot to admit for a former big six Canadian banking exec!
I guess we know what your New Years' resolution is going to be!

I don't have a strict budget, but I have been extremely frugal this year and socked away a ton of money.
Except for the condo I bought, of course.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:06 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I came in $13,000 under budget despite buying a car,traveling and doing some remodeling . I'll just roll that over into next year .
Old 12-31-2010, 07:08 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
We were supposed to spend $53,000 and we spent $36,000. I'll try harder next year.