Join Early Retirement Today

How did you spend Black Friday ?
Old 11-26-2011, 05:49 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How did you spend Black Friday ?

Never did understand the traditional Christmas shopping day being the day after Thanksgiving and avoid malls and big stores like the plague.

Spent my black Friday, cleaning gutters, mowing, getting the garage cleaned and organized for the winter. In addition to catching the LSU-Arkansas game.

How did the rest of you tightwads spend the tradition shopping day ?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2011, 05:56 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Stayed home, watched football and enjoyed the peace and quiet after hosting 20 people for Thanksgiving. No shopping whatsoever.
kz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:36 AM   #3

Had 1.5 inch of rain Thursday/Friday high of 62. I lit a fire anticipating brunch in the Arizona room. Poured some sparkling for Ms, G, it looked so good I had one too. About noon we decided that no one wanted to cook, so we had leftovers that our TD host packed for us. Spent the afternoon talking about our upcoming trip. Watched a couple of Joni Mitchell 70's video's. Never made dinner, off to La La Land.
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:56 AM   #4

I've never understood the Black Friday shopping either. Nor does DW (thankfully!)

The Spenderina SIL went for a 9-hour marathon with her daughter. More and more it's turning into a contact sport. The behavior is admittedly beyond my comprehension.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:58 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not shopping!

I finished up my turkey carcass soup storage, emptied the dishasher, refilled/ran it with the larger casseroles and pots/pans, went to lunch with a friend, and did volunteer table bussing at night.
Business was very slow at the club, only 70 people for dinner. That was more than anyone expected to show up. I was hoping to w*rk off some of the extra food I ate on Turkey Day.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:00 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Rescuing puppies and kittens from burning buildings, adopting starving orphans and gut-shooting annuity salesmen.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:11 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

We put in a "through the wall" fan to move heat generated by the wood stove in the living room to the adjacent bedroom. We had to make a quick run to Ace Hardware to get a few things for the installation so I guess that counts as shopping on Black Friday. Leftovers for lunch, a nice long nap, and warmed up leftover pizza for dinner.
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:21 AM   #8
Administrator

Yesterday we went to my brother's house in the afternoon. The route takes us by a factory outlet shopping center. There was a 2.5 mile backup on the highway due to a 2 mile long line of cars getting off at that exit (and two accidents).

The good news is they did wait for us before eating
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:26 AM   #9
Administrator

We spent most of it traveling back from visiting our daughter and SIL. We've never even considered going shopping on Black Friday.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:58 AM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

We spent it travelling back home after visting Savannah . I am not a black friday shopper unless it's online .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Rescuing puppies and kittens from burning buildings, adopting starving orphans and gut-shooting annuity salesmen.
You da Man!
Old 11-26-2011, 08:54 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

After hosting Thanksgiving for 28 people, or was it 29 - and I was cooking too, along side DW - I spent quite a bit of time shopping on Friday. Yep, I deserved what I wanted to get.

I needed a certain thing, and went to all the usual places looking for it, such as Best Buy, Staples, Walmart, Costco, etc... Best Buy had something that would work for me, but I was late and it was sold out. Costco had the next runner up and at a very decent price, but it was not exactly what I had in mind, so I did not buy. I may have to do more shopping today.

Heh, hold your horses! I am talking about shopping online here.

About a week ago, my trustworthy laptop suddenly went "kaput". It was so sad. I paid $700 three years ago for this 4.5-lbs 13.3" laptop with a dual-core CPU. I had been happy with it, and was expecting to use it forever, and not having to replace it so soon. I strongly suspect that either the CPU or more likely the motherboard has gone bad. I have opened up and repaired a couple of laptops before, but am reluctant to fix this one. As I have no way of isolating the failure to either the CPU or motherboard, buying replacements for both would be nearly as expensive as getting a new laptop.

My requirements are simple. It must have a dual-core i3 CPU, 3 or 4GB of memory, a screen of 13.3" or 14", a built-in DVD, and a weight in the 4-lbs range or less. Oh, and it has to be $500 or less. If it weren't for price, one of the wonderful Sony Vaio's would make me very happy with the weight down in the 2-3 lbs. Toshiba also got some like that.

Found a suitable one on-line, and been seriously considering hitting the "buy" button. But I wonder if I can get a better deal by waiting a bit longer.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:16 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

First time in a long time that I did not leave home in the wee hours of the morning to get that "limited to supply on hand" black Friday item. I must say it was rather liberating! I spent the day relaxing and feeling good about my LBYM day.
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:25 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Found a suitable one on-line, and been seriously considering hitting the "buy" button. But I wonder if I can get a better deal by waiting a bit longer.
google the camelizer - fantastic tool for stuff you can wait a while for the best price. I heard about it from someone on this forum, IIRC.

I bought a B&W laser for a family member last year ~ $100. Went to buy the same one this year for another family member and it was $180! The camel found it for $98 a few weeks later - I jumped on it and got it!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #15

I did a 4 wheel brake job on DW's car saving hundreds of $$. However she was inside purchasing Christmas gifts online. I believe I'm overall in the hole $$$.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:47 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

We didn't leave the house. Played "Rock Band" on the Wii, exercised, made some panini sandwiches for lunch with some leftover ham from Thanksgiving, assembled an emergency kit for DW's car, finished watching season 4 of "Breaking Bad", ate some more ham for supper, and finally spent a few hours browsing the internet (but no online shopping).

We are done with X-mas shopping anyways.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
About a week ago, my trustworthy laptop suddenly went "kaput". It was so sad. I paid $700 three years ago for this 4.5-lbs 13.3" laptop with a dual-core CPU. I had been happy with it, and was expecting to use it forever, and not having to replace it so soon. I strongly suspect that either the CPU or more likely the motherboard has gone bad. I have opened up and repaired a couple of laptops before, but am reluctant to fix this one. As I have no way of isolating the failure to either the CPU or motherboard, buying replacements for both would be nearly as expensive as getting a new laptop.

My requirements are simple. It must have a dual-core i3 CPU, 3 or 4GB of memory, a screen of 13.3" or 14", a built-in DVD, and a weight in the 4-lbs range or less. Oh, and it has to be $500 or less. If it weren't for price, one of the wonderful Sony Vaio's would make me very happy with the weight down in the 2-3 lbs. Toshiba also got some like that.

My 4 year old laptop died about 3 weeks ago; I found a nice Toshiba at Best Buy for $449. It's an AMD quad core processor, 17 inch screen, 4G RAM, and 500G HDD. I don't know the exact weight but it's not bad.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:08 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
What a coincidence! Me too.

Actually, after taking F.'s Murano to the dealer for some expensive transmission repairs, we went to the gym, then lunch, then a pleasure drive, then the grocery store, and so on.

We stayed away from Black Friday sales and from the area's largest shopping mall, which is only a few blocks from his home. It didn't look that busy, though.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:19 AM   #19

I went to buy additional vitamins, OTC pain meds and Monistat + Vagisil to take with me to Central America next week when we run the free clinic for a week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
How did the rest of you tightwads spend the tradition shopping day ?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #20
Administrator

So, the unanswered question: was this black friday "blacK', or "black enough".

Just to remind those still recovering from turkey hangover, black friday is so named because it is traditionally the day when the retail industry makes it's first profit for the year. If black friday sales aren't good enough, the retail industry will have poor financial results for the year, and the ripple effects can be significant - as retail is the largest source of new job creation in the US economy.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote