Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-01-2011, 05:01 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Not worked out details; have more than I did.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2011, 05:03 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, but being as Scroogy as I am, I want to know how and why, so that I can continue to have more, more, more...

Old 01-01-2011, 05:08 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Yeah, but being as Scroogy as I am, I want to know how and why, so that I can continue to have more, more, more...

Old 01-01-2011, 05:12 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Eh, perhaps I should want "more" of something other than money too.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:20 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Eh, perhaps I should want "more" of something other than money too.
Yes, more free time, strength, intelligence, wisdom, compassion, love, peace, joy, respect, etc. More money definitely does not hurt.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:39 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

That surely is a long list.

And I thought that I was already too greedy.

But philosophically, why wanting more money is called greed, but desire of other "things" is OK? Of course I am not talking about altruistic things like world peace and such.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:39 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

About 7% overall. Not as good as it should have been. I have made some changes in my portfolio in addition to rebalancing.

Resolving to pay less attention to my money and more to my family.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #48
Dryer sheet aficionado

Vanguard calculates my return at 21.4 percent but it excludes all my linked accounts
ie 401k, other Ira's etc. It includes new savings which are significant!

Is there a simple formula to calculate return? One that takes into account new savings?

torres9
Old 01-01-2011, 06:55 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by torres9 View Post
Vanguard calculates my return at 21.4 percent but it excludes all my linked accounts

Is there a simple formula to calculate return? One that takes into account new savings?

torres9
One reasonable way to do it is:
ROI % for the year = [final portfolio number/(starting number + new contributions during the year) - 1] x 100

Thus your final number is not inflated by the contributions during the year, yet you assume all gains were due the start of the year investments which IMO is "good enough".

This is how Quicken computes ROI.

Audrey
Old 01-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by torres9 View Post

torres9
Use XIRR function in Excel.To find your return, list the dates of your deposits and withdrawals in one column. In the next column, enter your deposit amounts as positive numbers and your withdrawals (or the current value of your portfolio) as negative numbers. Pick an empty cell and enter "=XIRR(values, dates)" to show your return. For example, if you enter the 4 values in column B starting from row 1 and their respective dates in column A, enter this formula: =XIRR(B1:B4,A1:A4) in B5.

=XIRR(B1:B11,A1:A11)
Old 01-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

It was a hell of year for me and obviously a good year to have an aggressive portfolio of 85/15.

My IRAs which I like to use as a baseline because there are no withdrawals was up 18%.
My liquid assets were up a modest 7.4%. However, I started the year with 240K in mortgage debt which is all gone. So my liquid assets increased by 16.6% after living expenses.

According to the county assessor my house rose 2% which help push my total net worth to an all time high barely exceeding my previous best in 2005 and when I retired in 1999.

My dividend and interest income was also up by 5%, which is gratifying but it is still 10%+ below 2006-2008 level due to the large number of dividend cuts in 2008 and plunging interest rates.

I am grateful for this board because there is no other place I can gloat. I have several friends out of work, one of my sister and couple of friends moved most of their savings out of stocks and either cash or bonds. To say it would be unseemly to talk about a great year for me this was financially would be an understatement. Anyway I can appreciate when they say that recession has ended for Wall St. but not for main street, and I guess I must be part of Wall St.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:26 PM   #52

Quote:
That surely is a long list.

And I thought that I was already too greedy.

But philosophically, why wanting more money is called greed, but desire of other "things" is OK? Of course I am not talking about altruistic things like world peace and such.
"Greed" is an attempt to possess more than one needs or deserves while "desire" is wanting something passionately. In Buddhism, the distinction between greed and desire, however, is artificial. Craving passionately (for anything) is a hindrance toward happiness.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:28 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
OK, anyone in a cash position, how did you do?
Anyone hear from Dex?

My port still hovers at about 70% fixed despite my pathetic efforts to dip my toe deeper into the equity markets. The good news is that the total port was pretty stable over the '07 to '09 unpleasantness (due to my low exposure to equities and decent performing fixed - oh, and my ballast of a few lb of gold and couple hundred pounds of silver. Thanks, dad!! )

The fixed portion of my port is at about 3% for the year. My I Bonds are less than 4 and the biggest portion of my fixed is almost exactly 2 in my GIF. My insurance products (including a 25 year old SPDA) are a bit above 4% (due to guarantees from many years ago).

The equity portion of my port, I haven't calculated yet, but I'm guessing it's in the very low double digit range as most are in Vanguard (S&P 500, Tot Stock mkt., emerging markets, total Euro ex-US, etc). Oh, and DW's psssst. Wellesley (and Wellington, heh, heh). We combine our funds into THE PORT as opposed to a her's and mine.

I'm happy for those with total port increases in the 15+% range. I'll admit to just a touch of jealousy (or maybe it's really more a feeling of regret that I didn't have more courage like the rest of the group). Still, I can survive on a 2% or so SWR and haven't taken my SS yet. I'd like to think I'm in the "sweet spot" of AA. Whether that turns out to be true will only be known by looking in the rear view mirror. In any case, I'm SWAGing the total port performance for 2010 at about 5 - 6%. Since my stash is "enough" (Is there such a thing?), I don't see the need to push it at this point. Of course, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:28 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I am grateful for this board because there is no other place I can gloat.
I enjoy the gloating posts. It's the way we learn from other's successes.

I also love the ones where people say they need to spend more money.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:31 PM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Anyone hear from Dex?
I'm thinking he saw this thread....End of the world: May 21, 2011 ...and is out spending his cash.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #56
Administrator

I was not sure how to compute this, but audreyh1's post seems like a pretty reasonable start:

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
One reasonable way to do it is:
ROI % for the year = [final portfolio number/(starting number + new contributions during the year) - 1] x 100

Thus your final number is not inflated by the contributions during the year, yet you assume all gains were due the start of the year investments which IMO is "good enough".

This is how Quicken computes ROI.

Audrey
I am in distribution phase so instead of adding new contributions during the year, I subtracted withdrawals during the year.

Using audreyh1's method this way, my answer is 12.72% (45:55 equities:fixed)

After 2008-2009, I am pretty happy about this!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I was not sure how to compute this, but audreyh1's post seems like a pretty reasonable start:

I am in distribution phase so instead of adding new contributions during the year, I subtracted withdrawals during the year.

Here is how Quicken handles that scenario. It basically adds any withdrawals to the final portfolio number to compute ROI.

ROI % for the year = [(final portfolio number + withdrawals during the year)/starting number - 1] x 100

Audrey
Old 01-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #58
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Here is how Quicken handles that scenario. It basically adds any withdrawals to the final portfolio number to compute ROI.

ROI % for the year = [(final portfolio number + withdrawals during the year)/starting number - 1] x 100

Audrey
Thank you!!

That comes to 10.53%, (45:55 equities:fixed).
I'm still pretty happy and still dancing along with this little emoticon:

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Using Fidelity's calculator, right at 9.5%. Not bad with a 25/75 allocation. My equities are mostly individual stocks.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

12.72% is a good return. You may want to include dividends, if any, as new contributions.