How do I allocate 457 2 years before retirement?

4 more years

Dryer sheet wannabe
I may be laid off in the next 2 years, and I will have to roll over my 457 plan and my county government matching funds plan into an IRA.
I am pretty conservative in them now. Do I put new contributions in cash and dollar cost average out the old ones? Or do I just wait until the end and roll them over into the no-load investment firm?
I am almost maxed out (50 and over) in the voluntary one. and I have the county plan that matches 8 percent of my salary ( not very high, it's a library job!). The fees are high though.

Will be 59 and 1/2 in Dec. but want to live on my husband's retired teacher's pension and his current chemistry job. He wants to retire in 2 years. I will take social security at 66 unless expenses soar. The only thing we owe on is our home, and our biggest luxury is 2 10 day vacations a year.

I thought I could retire by now, but I really like my job and would even do it part time if possible. If I don't get laid off I need to work till I'm 63 1/2 because I carry the health benefits. They will be over $1000 a month when I go to Cobra. But if I get laid off, it's COBRA and Hippa. My husband is diabetic and his work insurance isn't good. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom