how do I check return on savings bonds?

mystang52

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have some 50,000 worth of EE and I bonds accumulated from 1987 through about 2005. I know a lot of those bonds had guaranteed minimum interest rates, some 6%. But I can't find anything definitive on this, now, be it on the Treasury website or general internet search. As best as I can tell, I can't find any one of my bonds showing earnings of 6%.
Can anyone point me to the right place to get some specific information on my bonds. And, maybe Uncle Sam reneged on their promise and I missed the news on it?

EDIT TO CLARIFY: I know what the current value of my bonds are, and I can compute the return. But I know some of these bonds had minimum guaranteed rates, that I do not see reflected in my values. I just don't know which bonds had those guaranteed returns.

Last edited:
We just went through this with a couple Series EE bonds DH inherited. IIRC, we got the info via treasuryretail.gov, an arm of treasurydirect.com. Plugged in the bond # and it spit out the current value. I don't recall if it provided more info as we were just interested in the current value to determine whether to hold to maturity or cash them in.

I recommend you download the savings bond wizard software from the Treasury site and install on your PC. You would have to enter in your bond info one time but the program will store it and output all the relevant data in an easy to understand layout (rates, yield, interest earned, final maturity date...). There is also a running total for all your bonds' price, interest and value. The program updates the interest accumulated for each bond every month and goes out to the Treasury site to get the latest 6 month rate updates. Don't forget that the bond interest is tax free for state income tax. If you use the bonds for higher education, they could become tax free as well for federal income tax purposes (there is an education planning page on the treasurydirect website for more details).

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/tools/tools_savingsbondwizard.htm

We just went through this with a couple Series EE bonds DH inherited. IIRC, we got the info via treasuryretail.gov, an arm of treasurydirect.com. Plugged in the bond # and it spit out the current value. I don't recall if it provided more info as we were just interested in the current value to determine whether to hold to maturity or cash them in.

Converted all my old payroll purchased EE paper savings bonds to electronic about a year ago. The bonds are now maturing like clockwork every month or two. I feel old. Was just a young pup when started with the bonds.

Back
Top Bottom