Join Early Retirement Today

How do I get my GF interested in preparing for her long term financial future?
Old 10-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How do I get my GF interested in preparing for her long term financial future?

Looking for some advise,as I see a small window of opportunity I want to exploit. My GF of 5 years, has finally gotten to the point financially with a new job, that she can really start to do some investing for her retirement. She is in her early 40's but only has about 30k in a previous employers 401k. She has been with this company for a year, and is about to become eligible for company 401k match of 3%. She has come through a couple of layoffs the past 7-8 years including one just over a year ago. She is doing an excellent job of LBYM, not raising her lifestyle despite a 50% job in salary of a still modest 60k or so. The trouble is I can't get her past her " hoarding cash mentality" , putting over $1,000 a month in a savings account drawing nothing. It took a month and Devine intervention for me to get her to put $5k in an I Bond this month. She has enough now that if she was laid off again with unemployment, she can make it a year. BTW- her job looks very solid for at least 2 years due to the long term project they are working on.
How do I get her to transition from " hoarding cash", to some modest if not even low risk investing. Any advise on how to get her to take an interest in this? I believe I can get her to do the 3% to capture the company match on 401k, but any more will require some skills I need assistance in. She stands to gain tax wise long term from tax deferred investing. I'm sure she has no clue what her SS benefits will be, or " what her number needs to be" when she retires, or taxation rates and their long term effects. She is in her 40s and doesn't realize she is way behind, which I also need to dance around without insulting her. She has the first two skills down... No debt and LBYM. She needs to be nudged into the last realm of invest in your future. Any ideas that I could use that might help?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You could keep her posted on how your own investment portfolio is doing, day by day. If I tell my wife that the value of our portfolio is up for the day, she will be mildly interested, but when I tell her we lost a few thousand, she immediately becomes intensely interested.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I've never had much luck leading a horse to water, but maybe it would help if you did a "what if" retirement plan for her on a spread sheet. If she could see the gap between what she will need and what SS will provide, it might excite her interest in higher earning opportunities.

You could also use a free program like the one available from Fidelity.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:41 PM   #4

You could point her to the well-commented thread suze orman says.... in these forums. The thought of being sentenced to Ms. Orman's mandate of having to work until you're 67 might cause someone to think things through and take a little action.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:12 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee
You could keep her posted on how your own investment portfolio is doing, day by day. If I tell my wife that the value of our portfolio is up for the day, she will be mildly interested, but when I tell her we lost a few thousand, she immediately becomes intensely interested.
That's a good point. I have only recently constructed a portfolio, partially because my pension is so good I really don't need one. I only in the past 5 years have decided, I shouldn't trust the system 100% and add another stool to the financial leg. We are on opposite ends. I'm a retired ER on a pension and she is an out in the private world 401k , no pension, no great hope for ER person. But if I can steer her right, she can still have a comfortable lifestyle in her mid sixties.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Your thread title appeared promising. What happened?
Old 10-21-2011, 04:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I have only recently constructed a portfolio, ...
How about this? Construct a hypothetical portfolio for her at Morningstar, Morningstar Stock, Mutual Fund, Bond, ETF Investment Research, so she can track how much she would be making (or losing). It's free.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Go to the bookstore and buy her a simple financial book aimed at women . Then take her on a vacation to Florida where everybody is early retired and play all day . This combination should do it .
Old 10-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha
She is probably typing THAT in another forum about ME! I need a stunt double
Old 10-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #10

Quote:
I have only recently constructed a portfolio, partially because my pension is so good I really don't need one. I only in the past 5 years have decided, I shouldn't trust the system 100% and add another stool to the financial leg.
Discuss/share the performance of your own portfolio with her. If she were to start investing today, it doesn't seem that she would be far behind you with respect to investing.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Maybe she expects (hopes) that you will marry her and provide a survivor benefit (from your pension) -- problem solved without all that saving/investing.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:45 PM   #12
Administrator

I find that I can't force people to change. All I can do is lead by example, and be open and available if there are questions. It might take years before she has questions, too.

The more you push her, the more she might resist. It's human nature.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:08 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R
I find that I can't force people to change. All I can do is lead by example, and be open and available if there are questions. It might take years before she has questions, too.

The more you push her, the more she might resist. It's human nature.
That is definitely HER nature. It can't be a full out assault saying she is going to die a homeless beggar or she will probably go on a spending free

Maybe she expects (hopes) that you will marry her and provide a survivor benefit (from your pension) -- problem solved without all that saving/investing.

I don't know if she is thinking that or not, but that ship has passed. I signed on for option 1, paying max benefits until I die. Although that would be strong incentive for her to keep me alive.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
........Although that would be strong incentive for her to keep me alive.

Good start. Now don't go buying any life insurance.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:29 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I don't know if she is thinking that or not, but that ship has passed. I signed on for option 1, paying max benefits until I die. Although that would be strong incentive for her to keep me alive.
Some retirement systems (such as feds) allow you to change the selection if your marital status changes in retirement but you may not have that option. My previous comment was mostly in jest though.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #16

If she has been laid off more than once and / or had financial difficulties in the past her behaviour is not unusual. Her fears are rational and in her mind she is taking action to address them. She doesn't need someone to tell her she is wrong but she might use some help to approach her goals in a more effective way.

The first thing she probably needs is a saving option to maximize the return on her cash. Maybe a CD ladder, which is FDIC insured, starting with small amounts and shorter maturities, then building on that. If she agrees, then help her quantify how much she needs in cash-like financial assets to reach whatever goal she has in mind and help her build a plan to get there. If she could put a number to that objective that would be a big step forward.

If the only way to address your goals (for her) is to first achieve hers, that is the best way to help her.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:50 PM   #17

Could you get her to fund a Roth and put the money in bonds? You can tell her she can take out the principal penalty and tax free at any time. That way she is at least parking money away in the Roth account and you may get her to invest it in stocks later on.

Baby steps.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I thought so too. In my window I only get part of the title, so I saw "How do I get my GF interested". I was ready to take notes.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:26 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I thought so too. In my window I only get part of the title, so I saw "How do I get my GF interested". I was ready to take notes.
That is what I saw too- I thought, oh boy, what could there be that you might have to sell to GF in today's world?

This is a nice thread, but a little flat by contrast.

Ha
Old 10-22-2011, 04:08 AM   #20

Not sure that should do it. It is challenging to make people interested in FIRE if they are not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Then take her on a vacation to Florida where everybody is early retired and play all day . This combination should do it .

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote