How Do You Answer Income Questions Once Retired?

I would use AGI, but with Roth conversions and no straight retirement withdrawals it seems pretty meaningless. Plus it excludes real income in tax advantaged retirement accounts.

For a couple of CC applications this year we used all fund/ETF distributions, in taxable accounts and retirement accounts. Capital gains inflate it enough to approximate our yearly spending, so it's roughly appropriate and documentable.

Recently we began the application process to move to a CCRC. They require both financial as well as medical proof to qualify. They financial proof was merely a self completion blank form that asked for specific financial data, mostly related to income, expenses and investments. I provided them exactly what they asked for, as it was quite specific. I signed the form with the knowledge that what I was providing them was 100% accurate. The physician-provided medical proof will be submitted at a later date.

Most of us financially indepenent people have just about whatever income we want. Just sell some stocks to raise money.

I ballpark at pension + SS + 4% of my portfolio. Aside from that, I usually say $125K. That's big enough to get their interest but not so big as to be disbelievable.

As others have already pointed out, when it comes to vehicle/credit card/consumer loans I simply use whatever figure I'd be comfortable pulling out of my investments for one year. That could be as high as $150K depending on the circumstances.

Mortgages are obviously a different matter since income verification is thoroughly scrutinized. In that case I've resigned myself to paying cash for any home purchases for the rest of my life.

I use the AGI or taxable income from our most recent tax return.

Yep that's what I do. When I applied for ACA that's what they wanted, my networth wasn't a factor, just my annual income. As my outgoings are low (I own my home and have no debt) my income was too low to qualify and I got placed on Medicaid which required another set of copies of my tax return and 3 months of bank account statements etc. It's good to keep all this stuff to hand and current so it can be easily submitted.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom