Join Early Retirement Today

How Do You Answer Income Questions Once Retired?
Old 11-21-2016, 04:39 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How Do You Answer Income Questions Once Retired?

I Have a question for the very knowledgeable folks on this forum regarding how you answer Income questions from various sources (e.g. Credit card applications for new credit, increase in credit card lines of credit on existing accounts, car loan applications, mortgage applications). To give a live example, DH and I receive 1 pension, 2 Social Security monthly payments, and 1 VA disability payment. We have taxable accounts that throw off dividends and interest as well as periodic capital gains, none of which we withdraw from taxable accounts. We also have 2 large IRA's which also generate interest and dividends but which are reinvested. Starting in 2017 however, DH starts RMD's. In 2019, I start RMD's.

So for example in 2016 if completing an app which requests income, would you answer the question as a total of all pensions, SS payments, VA disability payments plus taxable account interest dividends? What about capital gains. And for 2017, would you include the same items as in 2016 plus RMD's for DH and exclude interest and dividends in both IRA's?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2016, 04:42 PM   #2
Administrator

I use the AGI or taxable income from our most recent tax return.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:43 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I add up all my income sources and just put in the number. Income in tax deferred accounts I don't count, only income subject to taxes or reporting.

RMD income is income subject to reporting and paying tax on.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:54 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
I Have a question for the very knowledgeable folks on this forum regarding how you answer Income questions from various sources (e.g. Credit card applications for new credit, increase in credit card lines of credit on existing accounts, car loan applications, mortgage applications).
I can understand your dilemma!

Personally, in my 8th year of retirement I still haven't been in your situation, to tell the truth. TBH I don't ever want another mortgage, car loan, line of credit, or whatever.

I DID apply for one credit card finally, in 2014, just to do something off the wall I guess. Got to try different things in life to stay young. Anyway on that application, IIRC all they wanted was my AGI for the previous year or so. Simple.

When I bought my Dream Home in cash, I showed my real estate man a statement from Vanguard shortly after submitting the offer. He never asked for it but I felt that was the courteous thing to do.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:56 PM   #5
gone traveling

Dividend Yield + interest + SS + pensions is a number in my head. It may be wrong
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
(e.g. Credit card applications for new credit, increase in credit card lines of credit on existing accounts, car loan applications, mortgage applications).
Guess I'm an odd ball. SS is a ways off, no pensions and RMD is also way off. I just thought I'd not need to do any of these. I could I guess potentially see a mortgage.. maybe.

Maybe I should think about this.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:06 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Our credit card companies keep asking us to update our income so they can invite us to apply more cards, they say. Umm, no, no income updates from us, no invitations to apply for CCs wanted from them. Our credit lines are quite ample already.

If we wanted to borrow money (or wanted more credit cards), we would consider income to be what we reported on April 15.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:09 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I use SS, interest and dividends.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
+1
Simple
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:59 PM   #10

Add them up and double (or triple) it. A mortgage company will want verification, so you have to be spot on. All the others are generally on the honor system.

Generally a higher income is better for what you are applying for... Give them a higher income. They cannot verify it without your knowledge.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:00 PM   #11
Administrator

I had to show income earlier this year when leasing a house in the UK so I simply provided proof of my 2 US pensions knowing that would be sufficient. If I needed to show higher income I would add in Dividends and Interest from the previous year.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:00 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Similar problem here except no pension (until just recently) and no SS yet. I use tax return income, which includes taxable account interest and dividends, capital gains and pension (which are Roth conversions).... while I would concede that Roth conversions are just moving money from the right pocket to the left pocket (or is it the other way around?), the U.S. government considers it to be income.... so who am I to argue with them?

At least if someone asks I have a reasonable basis for what I am telling them and can even show them the numbers from my prior tax returns if they want it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:10 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Exactly!

And that's what you can back up with your tax docs if you ever have to "prove" it like for a mortgage.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:14 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Exactly!

And that's what you can back up with your tax docs if you ever have to "prove" it like for a mortgage.
We are currently in the process of buying a house, for cash, and had to produce current brokerage statements to prove we had the funds to buy the house. I also provided pension statements to show that we also had other income streams.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:21 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Just make up a number, they won't check.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:24 PM   #16

The instructions with most credit card applications state you should include only income you wish them to consider for repayment purposes.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:19 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

$40,000. That's what I usually say. It's about what we spend and about what I'm targeting for my AGI each year, so I can back it up with tax forms. Don't put a lot of thought into it beyond that.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:37 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Income Loan? I don't need no stinkin' income loan.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:39 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There ya go......... No need to make it more complicated than it is. I believe MichaelB's method would work well for most scenarios.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:43 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We are currently in the process of buying a house, for cash, and had to produce current brokerage statements to prove we had the funds to buy the house. I also provided pension statements to show that we also had other income streams.
Was this early in the process Alan? It seems like if you had already made an offer and it was accepted, you could just give them a check in lieu of proving you'd be able to give them a check later. Or was it a case where the seller still had some loops to jump through and you didn't want to give them a check until seller completed their to-do's?