How do you deal with "unprecedented"

Oh, and I don't believe in 'unprecedented'. Unpleasant, yes, but I doubt I'll see a truly unprecedented, never before known, event. Economies go through rough patches, currencies or whole countries can collapse, and societies can engage in what amounts to a suicide pact. That has all happened before, and it will all happen again.

I just keep a diversified portfolio. And this missile silo filled with...

In unrelated news, I plan on taking a nice round the world cruise, funded by my new Internet store that sells preserved foodstuffs, medical supply kits, and diesel-electric generators.

I'm headed in the same direction, but through a new Vanguard Sector ETF invested in industries manufacturing preserved foodstuffs, medical supply kits and diesel-electric generators. Ticker: VDOOM

I'm headed in the same direction, but through a new Vanguard Sector ETF invested in industries manufacturing preserved foodstuffs, medical supply kits and diesel-electric generators. Ticker: VDOOM

Most Depressing Prospectus... EVER!

lol. In all seriousness, though, any prudent household should have the resources to comfortably survive at least a month to 6 weeks without all utilities and normal day to day conveniences like gas stations and walmart.

Although I usually enjoy reading your posts, I find your message below disrespectful to those of us who have been participating here.
Midpack said:
...yawn...

Last edited:
lol. In all seriousness, though, any prudent household should have the resources to comfortably survive at least a month to 6 weeks without all utilities and normal day to day conveniences like gas stations and walmart.
Were you around in the 1970's? We had a lot of people saying a lot of weird things back then and into the 1980's through a great equity bull market. There was Ruff Times for instance: Howard Ruff - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd recommend not to become a victim of some of these weird thinkers. Not that anyone here is doing this.

I find it hard to believe someone with his never ending string of gloom & doom prognostications hasn't offed himself long before now...

Nah, he'll live forever so that at some point he can say "I told you so..."

This thread may have run its course. I never meant to imply we were headed for Armageddon. I was just trying to solicit perspectives of unwavering investors that place all of their net worth in the markets during these highly unusual financial times. Thanks to everyone that took the time to respond!

Despite having passions as intense as anyone, they fade, in the joy of being a fly on the wall of history. Que sera, sera.

I never meant to imply we were headed for Armageddon. I was just trying to solicit perspectives of unwavering investors that place all of their net worth in the markets during these highly unusual financial times.
How'd that work for ya?

Obviously, something very, very bad could happen. I guess that's why Doomsday Preppers is a cable show - lots of folks apparently preparing for "the worst".

I have a friend who had breast cancer, and a reoccurance, and even though she is cancer-free as of now, she lives in constant fear. It hurts me to see her this way. I agree with Tyro - we have to choose to LIVE, not choose to worry.

How'd that work for ya?

I realize you may have asked that with your tongue firmly in cheek, but I’ll report back anyhow. It may be my fault by the way I phrased my OP, but I was hoping to hear more analytical responses. That’s why I included Jager’s post, because he seemed to outline current economic problems pretty specifically. I think Not My Fault’s first post was closer to the type of response I was looking for, rather than simply an “I refuse to be afraid” philosophy. NMF reasons that business has to prevail as a fundamental part of society, that’s why he’s betting on them. Personally, that wouldn’t be enough for me to sink all of my net worth in the market at this time, but I understand his approach.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread may have run its course. I never meant to imply we were headed for Armageddon. I was just trying to solicit perspectives of unwavering investors that place all of their net worth in the markets during these highly unusual financial times. Thanks to everyone that took the time to respond!

I realize you may have asked that with your tongue firmly in cheek, but I’ll report back anyhow. It may be my fault by the way I phrased my OP, but I was hoping to hear more analytical responses. That’s why I included Jager’s post, because he seemed to outline current economic problems pretty specifically. I think Not My Fault’s first post was closer to the type of response I was looking for, rather than simply an “I refuse to be afraid” philosophy. NMF reasons that business has to prevail as a fundamental part of society, that’s why he’s betting on them. Personally, that wouldn’t be enough for me to sink all of my net worth in the market at this time, but I understand his approach.

I think that you are getting the responses you are getting because most people do not think that we are headed into the financial collapse that you seem to think we are headed... it is not "I refuse to be afraid".... but a look at what is going on around and seeing that things are getting better... and investing accordingly....

You look around and see things are about to crash and burn.... and want to know how to invest for that crash and burn.... well, if you really think that we are about to have the financial collapse you think, then the only thing that I can think of is gold... so, put all your money in gold and you will come out looking great at the other end...

Now, if we actually do have a complete collapse of gvmt and we go into anarchy, then the shotshells and bullets are probably the better investment.... someone with them will be able to take your gold from you....

Back
Top Bottom