Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,903
I think it's time for a ray of sunshine - A realistic assessment of our prospective future if you will- Time bomb to market meltdown ticks louder - Paul B. Farrell - MarketWatch
Another wonderful cheerful post from one of the most notable optimists of all time.
__________________

__________________
ejman is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
Another wonderful cheerful post from one of the most notable optimists of all time.
I find it hard to believe someone with his never ending string of gloom & doom prognostications hasn't offed himself long before now...
__________________

__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I find it hard to believe someone with his never ending string of gloom & doom prognostications hasn't offed himself long before now...
Nah, he'll live forever so that at some point he can say "I told you so..."
__________________
ejman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
freebird5825's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East Nowhere, 43N Latitude, NY
Posts: 9,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Asteroid...
Only 17,200 miles away next month...

NASA Rules Out Earth Impact in 2036 for Asteroid Apophis - NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory
__________________
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
freebird5825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,065
You notice they are getting closer and closer....
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:20 AM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
donheff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 8,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
You know they would say that to stave off panic.
__________________
Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #67
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Clairemont
Posts: 17
This thread may have run its course. I never meant to imply we were headed for Armageddon. I was just trying to solicit perspectives of unwavering investors that place all of their net worth in the markets during these highly unusual financial times. Thanks to everyone that took the time to respond!
__________________
CaptainO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
imoldernu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Peru
Posts: 4,616
Despite having passions as intense as anyone, they fade, in the joy of being a fly on the wall of history. Que sera, sera.
__________________
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:16 AM   #69
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 16,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
How do I avoid having to become a greeter at Walmart ten years on?
I hate to bust your bubble but even that job is going to have some competition:

Wal-Mart cuts back on greeters- MSN Money
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainO View Post
I never meant to imply we were headed for Armageddon. I was just trying to solicit perspectives of unwavering investors that place all of their net worth in the markets during these highly unusual financial times.
How'd that work for ya?
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 241
Obviously, something very, very bad could happen. I guess that's why Doomsday Preppers is a cable show - lots of folks apparently preparing for "the worst".

I have a friend who had breast cancer, and a reoccurance, and even though she is cancer-free as of now, she lives in constant fear. It hurts me to see her this way. I agree with Tyro - we have to choose to LIVE, not choose to worry.
__________________
MDJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #72
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Clairemont
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
How'd that work for ya?
I realize you may have asked that with your tongue firmly in cheek, but Iíll report back anyhow. It may be my fault by the way I phrased my OP, but I was hoping to hear more analytical responses. Thatís why I included Jagerís post, because he seemed to outline current economic problems pretty specifically. I think Not My Faultís first post was closer to the type of response I was looking for, rather than simply an ďI refuse to be afraidĒ philosophy. NMF reasons that business has to prevail as a fundamental part of society, thatís why heís betting on them. Personally, that wouldnít be enough for me to sink all of my net worth in the market at this time, but I understand his approach.
__________________
CaptainO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #73
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainO View Post
This thread may have run its course. I never meant to imply we were headed for Armageddon. I was just trying to solicit perspectives of unwavering investors that place all of their net worth in the markets during these highly unusual financial times. Thanks to everyone that took the time to respond!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainO View Post
I realize you may have asked that with your tongue firmly in cheek, but Iíll report back anyhow. It may be my fault by the way I phrased my OP, but I was hoping to hear more analytical responses. Thatís why I included Jagerís post, because he seemed to outline current economic problems pretty specifically. I think Not My Faultís first post was closer to the type of response I was looking for, rather than simply an ďI refuse to be afraidĒ philosophy. NMF reasons that business has to prevail as a fundamental part of society, thatís why heís betting on them. Personally, that wouldnít be enough for me to sink all of my net worth in the market at this time, but I understand his approach.

I think that you are getting the responses you are getting because most people do not think that we are headed into the financial collapse that you seem to think we are headed... it is not "I refuse to be afraid".... but a look at what is going on around and seeing that things are getting better... and investing accordingly....

You look around and see things are about to crash and burn.... and want to know how to invest for that crash and burn.... well, if you really think that we are about to have the financial collapse you think, then the only thing that I can think of is gold... so, put all your money in gold and you will come out looking great at the other end...


Now, if we actually do have a complete collapse of gvmt and we go into anarchy, then the shotshells and bullets are probably the better investment.... someone with them will be able to take your gold from you....
__________________

__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:43 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.