Join Early Retirement Today
Old 04-16-2010, 06:00 AM   #41
gone traveling
I have a very simple retirement income situation. Currently, my income comes from only tax-deferred vehicles (TIRA, Rollover IRA, and SPIA).

I simply have FIDO take out 15% FIT of my monthly withdrawal from my cash bucket and send it in. 15% is a bit high, but that's due to not having taxes taken out of my monthly SPIA income. I could have them also take out state income tax, but luckly I live in a state where retirement income is not taxed on a state or local level.

In early December (when I get the early version of TT) I simply plug in my YTD income, December's forecast withdrawal, and YTD FIT already paid.

Depending on the result, I adjust my December FIT tax payment to target my annual taxes within a $50+/- variance.

Nothing fancy at all, and it eliminates quarterly tax submissions....

rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2010, 11:34 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Rescueme - that's a pretty novel approach from what I have seen and very clever! Congrats!

You came up with the 15% number based on prior year tax patterns I assume?

(wouldn't work for me as 95% of my investments are non-taxed deferred and we are not drawing from IRAs at present and have no annuities (SPIA))

Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yep - it's pretty easy when all your annual income is from a pension. That means it is a known quantity, and it can be treated just like it was at work with tax withholding.

It's when you have other sources of income (IRA withdrawals, investment income, realized capital gains, etc.) that it becomes tricky as these often aren't predictable.

Only one third of my income is from my Pension . The rest is made up of SS Survivor Benefit & withdrawals from my taxable accounts . Since my SS is very close to my pension amount I just doubled my withholding from my pension and so far so good ! I like the fact that I 'm not writing a big check four times a year and if I end up owing anything it is minimal.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:20 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was in a similar situation to Audrey - I have self-employed income and it varies according to my business schedule. In 2008, all of my income was employee income and a *lot* more than what I made self-employed. I ended up paying taxes to the IRA, but the overall tax burden was less than half that of the previous year, so based on my reading of the rules, I'm OK.

I use the AI method for my tax calculations - mine is a bit easier as I have Foregin earned income, so only worry about the SSN and Medicare until a certain threshold of earning is reach and to be honest, I'm endeavoring to stay under that.

The only other variable is the increase in investment income needing to be accounted for in the estimated taxes - as that grows, then I will need a better estimating method .....

Deserat aka Bridget
“We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.” - George Orwell/Winston Churchill
deserat is offline   Reply With Quote

estimated tax, taxes