Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-16-2014, 07:21 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Will you be going back?
I gave a lot of thought to what I was retiring to. I couldn't have retired without reconciling same. It comes easily to some, but not everyone, why not give it some thought before pulling the plug? Is leaping and hoping for the best a better plan?

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2014, 07:24 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Issue to me would be do I like the job or not. I retired when the job wasn't enough fun anymore. Could have retired several years earlier, but the job was still fine/fun then.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:45 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
People keep asking me what I will do next and I don't really have an answer.
We live in a world where people think you always have to be "doing" something. And the "doing" is generally expected to be something for pay. I almost did not retire simply because my brain was programmed to think that retiring was for people at least 65 years old, and it was only something you did when you were not able to work any more.

This forum has many members who have learned that life doesn't have to be that way, but the group here is clearly a minority. All be it, a minority I'm really glad to be a part of.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:51 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
We live in a world where people think you always have to be "doing" something. And the "doing" is generally expected to be something for pay. I almost did not retire simply because my brain was programmed to think that retiring was for people at least 65 years old, and it was only something you did when you were not able to work any more.

This forum has many members who have learned that life doesn't have to be that way, but the group here is clearly a minority. All be it, a minority I'm really glad to be a part of.
DW insisted that I have a cover story, so people's expectations have apparently been set. This annoys me to no end, as I wanted no part of a cover story. The foolish things I do for domestic harmony... I suppose all of these gullible fools will figure it out eventually when I am persistently unemployed.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:38 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
I have always purchased individual high deductible health insurance because of the issue with emergency care.
Thanks, that is excellent advice. I always figured that I could get a policy in the ambulance ride, but it may be $100K later when I wake up... I had not thought about it all that much.

Quote:
Do you hate your job or your workload?
I don't hate it, but it is less enjoyable. It's almost boring. Easy money, but boring. Work gets in the way of too many things these days. And I pay so much in taxes it's crazy. I just done doing taxes and will have to pay. Even after claiming 0 and paying extra for the year. But I guess I am fortunate to be in that position.

I prefer to be on my own more now. I think one more year, and we will see what happens. This is still a relatively new thing, seeing the income, so I want to make sure it's 'real'. If I can save over $100K in 2014, it's real.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:35 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Met a new friend the other night who retired 4 mos. ago. Knowing I had retired over a year ago, she mentioned that she still hadn't adjusted and wanted to know if it was normal to just want to veg and not do too much so-called 'productive' work.

I told her I totally understood, and have felt guilty in the past for just goofing off and not being 'productive.' In fact, I still feel guilty if I take a nap every now and then. Another friend, who's been retired a couple of years now, just laughed and said she feels absolutely no guilt at goofing off and napping every day if she wants.

I think it may take adjustment for some.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:25 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I gave a lot of thought to what I was retiring to. I couldn't have retired without reconciling same. It comes easily to some, but not everyone, why not give it some thought before pulling the plug? Is leaping and hoping for the best a better plan?
Good comment. I could not go back (or at least I'm not going to).

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:51 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Good comment. I could not go back (or at least I'm not going to).
Same to you. I suspect most people sail into or quickly adjust to enjoying retirement with or without a plan. Just not a given.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:57 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I'm with you in that minority, Ready!

When I lost my job without warning at age 56 (4 years ago), I started interviewing for corporate jobs, because the thought that I could retire hadn't occurred to me.

From reading early retirement books, I slowly realized that I didn't have to conform to the traditional definition of retirement. I learned that I didn't need "80% of pre-retirement income" to survive. Once I figured out the financial side, I was ecstatic to be able to leave the corporate world. I really didn't want to do it anymore.

BUT, I didn't have a clear picture of what my new life would be like either. It has slowly evolved over the past 4 years. For example, I have been working very parttime at a bookstore for 2 1/2 years, and that was fun for a while. But recently I've decided that it is too much drama and hassle and I am going to quit. It's great to be able to think through what you want to do with your everyday life and not worry about the financial side.

I for one absolutely love not having anything to do each day!
Old 02-17-2014, 09:04 AM   #50
Dryer sheet wannabe

jump!

Just my take on the courage thing. Ease into it. You have 3 income sources, Investments, apartments, job. You can get by on any 2.
I quit ft work and consult. Between investments and hi commission jobs it works.

My epiphany came after mom died, having not really done any of the things she's was going to do "in retirement" that and my job got to the point where it was "keep killing myself working for people I don't t like, or hav e some fun"
Old 02-17-2014, 10:29 AM   #51

I carried this around in my briefcase for a couple years before bailing .... enjoy!

Comfort Zone

I used to have a comfort zone
Where I knew I couldn't fail.
The same four walls of busy work,
Where really like a jail.

I longed so much to do the things,
I’d never done before.
But I stayed inside my comfort zone,
And paced the same old floor.

I claimed to be so busy,
With things inside my zone.
But deep inside I longed for
Something special of my own.

I couldn’t let my life go by,
Just watching others win.
I held my breath and stepped outside
To let the change begin.

I took a step and with new strength
I’d never felt before,
I kissed my comfort zone goodbye
And closed and locked the door.

If you are in a comfort zone,
Afraid to venture out,
Remember that all winners were
At one time filled with doubt.

A step or two and words of praise,
Can make your dreams come true.
Greet your future with a smile,
Success is there for you!
Old 02-17-2014, 10:31 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

For me I got tired of the BS. I'd worked for many years with competent management. When they were no longer around, I had a hard time working for total id10ts. I've probably got an ego issue, I know I mostly made my managers look good. Why would I do that for political backstabbing fools.

Part came from my wife's condition that caused me to go on intermittent FMLA. While my manager was supportive, my two local coworkers were complete a$$holes about it. One actually told me I was useless, shouldn't be allowed to leave, unscheduled, due to wife's illness.

After my 2013 meeting with Fidelity, my decision was down to what date I gave my notice.

MRG
Old 02-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here is what I would do:
1. Visualize your life now, do you enjoy it?
2. Picture your life retired and your girlfriend still working, would both of you enjoy it?
3. Picture your life when both are retired with more money and able to drive nicer cars, take more vacations, eat out more often.....does that appeal to you more?
Let me add a 4th.....when do you unload the apartments because you're tired of working on them......they need majoy updating. or you just want to move your equity into cash and safely invest it. The good news is these appear to all be YOUR choice.....you have earned the financial freedom to choose....Congratulations.....and finally, does your girl friend have a strong opinion on what choices you make.......I'd make sure she is very comfortable with your decision. Good Luck!!!!!!!