Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-22-2010, 07:23 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a three-part response.

At the first opportunity, I state "I don't make any financial transactions over the phone. If you want to mail me your information, that will be fine. Please don't ever call this number again."
Needless to say, if they ask for my mailing address, I tell them to get it the same place they got my phone number.

Second, I make note (from the Caller ID on my phone) of their phone number (if shown) and file a complaint at donotcall.gov where they (hopefully) will be subject to a fine.

Third, my landline phone system has a "caller block" feature, where I can put in the offending phone number and they will never again be able to get through to me.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2010, 07:27 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I tell them I will make a donation if they will send me complete information on their organization including what percentage of donations goes to the cause they are soliciting for. They usually hang up after that.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:16 AM   #23

Like others here, I have lost patience with these annoying people. I now tell them, "I am on the do-not-call list, please stop calling me!" However, I still get calls from the same people, so they don't always tend to abide by that. These people need to be reported because they can be fined, and pretty heavily.

The ones I get repeat calls from are:

Police Conference of New York
Disabled Veterans
Disabled Firefighters
Breast Cancer

I can tell these are Boiler Room operations because I can hear in the background the voices of other people giving sales pitches.

A few things I do to counteract these calls:

(1) If I hear some silence after I say Hello, I hang up right away. Often, a computer makes the calls and the actual person doesn't come on the line right away. I hate that dead time and have stopped several unsolicited calls that way.

(2) If the call is a recorded voice, I push the # button (or is it the * button?) a few times. That supposedly confuses the computer and makes it think the number it dialed does not work.

I am just sooooo sick of these people interrupting my meals or my naps.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:22 AM   #24

I don't usually even bother with the courtesy of not hanging up on them. If I have an existing giving relationship with a charity, I tell them they'll get nothing from from me if they keep calling.

I detest telemarketing.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:22 AM   #25

As with RonBoyd I simply make no response and hang up if I don't look at the caller ID first. We have a telephone in our home for our convenience, not as a sales/donation solicitation tool for parasitic vermin.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:28 AM   #26

I dislike all these calls, but I dislike the calls in support of politician even more. Just another example of them exempting themselves from the rules they make for others to play by. If it is a political call, I tell them if 'I receive another call from your client I will vote against them'. For others I tell the to put me on their do not call list.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:34 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Click. Dial tone.
My way as well.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:35 AM   #28
gone traveling

you could probably stop them in their tracks if you asked them in a low, breathy voice:

"I'm really glad you called. What are you wearing right now?..."
Old 02-22-2010, 08:48 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
you could probably stop them in their tracks if you asked them in a low, breathy voice:

"I'm really glad you called. What are you wearing right now?..."
Nope...that doesn't work....
Old 02-22-2010, 08:50 AM   #30
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Nope...that doesn't work....
...send me your phone number.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:06 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
1) Caller ID showed the number as "unavailable"

2) The call happened late at night (about 8:45 pm)

...When I said, no, I can't afford it, she said no problem, the donation would only be $15, and is tax deductible...
The caller ID I have either flags the caller as "Unavailable" or "Out of Area". Either way it tells me it is a telemarketer and I do not answer. I just let the answer machine screen the calls.
Unless they indicate that there is a convenient credit card payment method, or ask you to put a personal check in your postal mailbox or front door for pickup for your contribution, the call was probably legit.
But always unwanted, as far as I'm concerned.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:09 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
The caller ID I have either flags the caller as "Unavailable" or "Out of Area". Either way it tells me it is a telemarketer and I do not answer. I just let the answer machine screen the calls.
If I don't recognize who it is on caller ID, I almost never pick up. If it's someone I know (but caller ID doesn't show that), they can start leaving a message for me and I'll pick up.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Have Fun
Old 02-22-2010, 09:23 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Have Fun

I think you gotta have a little fun. If I do get stuck on a call like that, I tell them I'm really interested and ask if they can hold for a sec. Then I hang up. It wastes a lot of their time. I also like to shred credit card applications and put them into the return envelope so they have to pay return postage.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I think you gotta have a little fun. If I do get stuck on a call like that, I tell them I'm really interested and ask if they can hold for a sec. Then I hang up. It wastes a lot of their time. I also like to shred credit card applications and put them into the return envelope so they have to pay return postage.
I do the return envelope thing for all sorts of junk mail. They should consider themselves lucky; I have one friend who will wrap up a brick, attach the return envelope to the outside and drop it in the mail.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I dislike all these calls, but I dislike the calls in support of politician even more. Just another example of them exempting themselves from the rules they make for others to play by. If it is a political call, I tell them if 'I receive another call from your client I will vote against them'. For others I tell the to put me on their do not call list.

Good one! I'd use this IF I got a human. Instead I'm getting computer calls from politicians in Chicago every election on my CELL, and I don't even live there (just have a Chicago area code on the cell). Frustrating.
Plus, who would be swayed to vote for a politician from a computer call asking you to vote for X Not exactly that "personal" touch is it?
Old 02-22-2010, 09:57 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
But if my university calls me, I'll give them something every time.
I heard of someone who would usually respond to such calls 'When I go to Sears to buy a fridge, I don't expect them to call me back asking for donations'.

Hang up sounds like a proper response to me... even though the folks are forced or choose the job of annoying and disturbing people at home, I don't think you should be wasting your precious time on listening to them.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:25 AM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
A friend of mine used to do this; and, I thought it was great. She would tell whoever had called that she was really interested; but, someone was at the door so she would be right back. Then, she would set down the phone and go about her business. If she was really in a the mood, she would occasionally pick up the phone to see if they were still on; and, if so, apologize profusely then immediately fain some other task she had to attend before she would be right back. Her record was around 40 minutes. I laughed until I was in tears the first time she told me about this. This was before the days of the official Do Not Call list; but, she was rarely contacted more than once by any given organization.

Personally, I always kept my ringer turned off and would just periodically check my answering machine when I had a land line. Now, I do pretty much the same with my cell phone's voice mail; but, I will occasionally answer the cell if I notice a call coming in and it is a name from my address book (rather than a phone number, unknown, etc.) on the screen.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smjsl View Post
... even though the folks are forced or choose the job of annoying and disturbing people at home, I don't think you should be wasting your precious time on listening to them.
Exactly. And if you do engage them, even momentarily, they win. No matter how "right" you are in any argument you present, it will have absolutely no affect other than to anger you. They win because his or her real job is to stop you from hanging up so they can develop a "relationship"... of any kind.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I never answer calls I don't recognize with Caller ID and they rarely ever leave a message. If I break that rule, my standard response is to immediately interrupt them and say, this number does not accept any solicitations, please remove me from your list.

Unfortunately, the do not call law makes an exception for charity calls and surveys so they can call with impunity. I just assume the risk of fraud is too great to deal with these types of solicitations. How do I know they are legit, even if I were interested.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:42 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

No thank you. Please take me off your list.
Click...