How do you keep it all straight?

Mysto

Recycles dryer sheets
Once again I come to drink from the fount of knowledge.

I am setting up my accounts but it doesn't work like it says in the books. I have a 401k - IRA - 2 Roths - SEP - Cash accounts all have to coordinate. I want to keep my funds in Vanguard for funds but not my choice for stock buys and then there are the CDs etc.

What tools do all of you use to keep it all together and keep track to make necessary rebalancing etc.

Thanks again for all the help on this board. My plan is coming along nicely and should all be in place by tax day!

I used vanguards portfolio viewer that allows me to link outside investments. Its not 100% perfect, but I havent hit anything except my wifes pension account that I cant link, and the pension account is some employer created annuity thing that they contribute to...so i'd be surprised if I could see that...

I have my bank, our roths and ira, our taxable accounts, emigrant direct, ing direct, my wifes 403b, my wifes old bank account with $92 in it, etc. You can selectively show or hide any account or sub account.

Free.

What CFB just said...

Vanguard allows you to enter "outside investments" so you can track your entire portfolio through the Vanguard website.

"If your outside financial institutions provide online account access, we can automatically retrieve and update most non-Vanguard account information and display it in Accounts & Activity."

For those outside investments without online access, you can enter that information manually and the Vanguard site will track it for you (funds, stocks, etc.). For CD's and such, you have to do manual updates, but not a big burden to do monthly unless you have a lot of them.

Can someone provide a more detailed explanation of how to get linked accounts at Vanguard? I have found the "Add Outside Investments" link, but it asks you to manually enter your holdings information. To update it, you must manually change your holdings. I want to have my accounts linked electronically so VG can query my other accounts for holdings, values, etc.

my portfolios
accounts and activity
scoll down to linked online accounts
click 'add accounts'
enter financial institution name
pick yours
enter your username and password
let it log in
pick the stuff you want vacuumed in

You might find it by searching for "Linked Online Accounts". The 'search engine is temporarily unavailable' when I tried that, however :p

"my portfolios
accounts and activity
scoll down to linked online accounts
click 'add accounts'
enter financial institution name
pick yours"

I get this far, but there is no prompt for me to enter my username and password at the Other financial institution. I think I broke Vanguard. Sorry guys if you had any money there. Seriously, what am I doing wrong?

Ok, went to my wifes account who doesnt have it set up.

my portfolios
accounts and activity
scroll down to outside investments
click on 'learn more about this service'
click on 'link online accounts'.

I see over to the right of 'link online accounts' there is an 'enter account information'...that seems to be where you are.

Us Normals (under $250k in assets with Vanguard) can't link accounts. We have to input accounts manually. I called Vanguard and Jennifer Clapp helpfully informed me of this little fact. Now only ~$150k to go till I get to be a Voyager. :)

At least now I know I'm broke, but not crazy. For a minute I thought I forgot how to operate the internets.

[ahnold] Ah, so your puny girly man portfolio wasnt big enough, eh? We're going to have to puuuump you up! [/ahnold]

Sorry dude.

At least you didnt break my brokerage.

Cute 'n' Fuzzy Bunny said:
[ahnold] Ah, so your puny girly man portfolio wasnt big enough, eh? We're going to have to puuuump you up! [/ahnold]

Any time you want to make a donation to the "Pump up justin's sissy girly-man Vanguard portfolio" Charitable Foundation, you go right ahead! I take checks, cash, paypal and unwanted shares of Wellington (Admiral class or regular) or other Vanguard funds. Maybe your governator can chip in a little contribution too.

Cigar smoker... 8)

Attachments

• cigar.jpg
    cigar.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 37
Cute 'n' Fuzzy Bunny said:
You couldnt HANDLE my admiral class wellington shares...

Just liquidate them and send me the proceeds then.

Back
Top Bottom