Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-20-2011, 07:48 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Boss and I both retired from Megacorp as part of a massive downsizing. Boss shoved me out the door 3 days early because he could not leave until the people who reported to him who were leaving were gone.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2011, 09:37 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Didn't read the article but the thread seems to have missed that something like 1/3 of all retirements are triggered by medical considerations. In my case I had a 'cardiac event' decided to retire. Work was pretty good but I am intent on doing some of my life plans now.

Nice to have more money but money < time in my calculations.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:15 AM   #23

I have been slowly cutting my hours and I am down to just under 20/week. I expect that I will pull the plug in about a year. I find that my motivation to get to work seems to be dwindling.

I am starting to realize that I need to pick a date or it will never happen. I turn 60 next June and will then be eligible for widow survivor benefits so I am starting to focus on that as a FIRE date.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:03 AM   #24

I like my job too but getting bored sometimes. Planning for ER in July 2012, age 47. However, I may keep on working after that at least part time. I don't know when will be the right time to fully retire.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:36 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobulife View Post
Top priority is making memories.
+1. I meet a lot of people who could retire but don't because work "doesn't suck".

I'd hate to wake up one day and regret spending a decade in a "doesn't suck" state - when that precious time might have been aggressively used to "make memories".
Delawaredave5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:43 AM   #26
Dryer sheet wannabe

Once my daughter is out of college. I don't feel I will be retired until I can move somewhere with beautiful weather most of the year.
Gil24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:27 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

This is a question I've been wrestling with myself, as I can now retire if I want to at the ripe old age of 47.

For now I've decided to change nothing as I really enjoy what I do (I'm a dentist) and I still have a daughter in high school and a daughter in middle school. My desire to keep them in the same school district means I can't be moving about, and traveling is impossible right now with the girls in school.

I've thought about cutting back from 4 days a week to only 3 days, but mentally can't get myself to do it just yet. My other thought would be to keep working 4 days but maybe start my day later and/or work a lighter load.

I'm finding that it is a lot harder to change than I thought it would be.
novaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:55 PM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

spent a thursday and friday with my kids, and realize Im ok with the retirement coming up in 6 months.
fwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:22 PM   #29

You lay in bed when the clock radio goes off and just listen to the music on a work day. You only get out of bed when the dog comes up and reminds you she has to go out.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:24 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAtLast View Post
You only get out of bed when the dog comes up and reminds you she has to go out.
Or when the cat reminds you that he needs fresh food.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #31
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAtLast View Post
You only get out of bed when the dog comes up and reminds you she has to go out.
I represent that remark - however, it's a "he" (picture to the left)...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:58 AM   #32

The trigger for me was the realization that I my assignment of 12 yrs was ending and I was going to have to try and find a new assignment elsewhere in the organization. My magic number was 55 yrs old when I realized that I just didn't want to start over again. The final magic moment was when I saw that I had 30yrs of service and my pension benefits were actually enough to make retirement an option.

I met the three goals in the article. 1) My social life was not centered at work. 2) My wife was all in favor of my retiring. 3) I have no problem keeping busy and content outside of my workplace.

The time between considering retirement and making the decision was about 30 days. I waited another couple of months to make sure it was still a good idea. (It was). I've been retired for 8 months now and I couldn't be happier.
martyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:37 AM   #33
Dryer sheet aficionado

Just retired, as in sold my business 3 weeks ago at 60 years old. After several years of contemplating the sale and the faltering economy I decided to just do it. After 38 years it was still fulfilling in many ways and profitable, but the profits were declining along with the sales. Could have easily stayed until 62 or even 65. It seemed that now the business had more value than it would down the road. We have 1.2m liquid and have 2 homes that are paid for. Do not rent either one. Most of my savings (80%) are in municipal bonds and 20% in annuities and savings accounts. Seemed that the money was ok but the emotional side is lacking. So my question is how long does it take for others, especially former business owners to adapt or make the transition and feel normal in the new life? Also is it just too bad to have that much in municipal bonds?
fun in the sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:45 AM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun in the sun View Post
Just retired, as in sold my business 3 weeks ago...
Congratulations on your retirement!

I think the adjustment time differs for each individual. Entrepreneurial types seem to take a little longer, but once again, everyone is different.

As to your question on having 80% of your nest egg in muni bonds, I definitely think that's a risk. I don't have any problems with munis - we've have some in our portfolios - but I recommend you diversify into some other asset classes. One hand grenade could make a real mess of your portfolio if the explosion took place in the muni bond market.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:55 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

There was a guy on a radio show, a forgot his name (ugh oh, another senior moment) who gave all sorts of investment advise. He said, if you like your job, you can always retire on the job. Take extra time off with unpaid vacations, turn stressful tasks over to a subordinate, etc.

After I retired, I really missed having a secretary to help buy wedding presents for me, pay my bills, and intercepting calls from people I did want to talk to. My social life, and 8 hours of day suddenly became a vacuum. I guess you could call it retirement shock. I had to figure out work the timer on my automatic coffee machine.

I quickly filled my time with other activities that I loved. But I can see where some people might feel stressed if the change in lifestyle feels like they are passing through a sonic boom when you come home from the retirement party.
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
The plan is there, unpleasants events pushed me.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:29 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

The plan is there, unpleasants events pushed me.

I am a solo practitioner for 27 yrs. I'm the only one doing this kind of work. I thought I will retire at 60, but I forgot about it and I woke up one morning 62 yrs old.. The whole place is a mess. Bureaucracy is terrible, and the whole organization is losing it's moral standards. I feel I am swimming with sharks, and afraid the stress and sleepless nights will make me ill.
I was given a committee position which standards cannot be met.
I asked my DW to look at our "buckets", she came back saying we're within a few 7 figures.
I walked to the CEO office, and said, I'll give them a year to look and ready or not, I'm gone by next fall. I was a great release.
Birchwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:54 AM   #37

There are also reasons not related to work.
DH will ER next year at age 60 and has some medical obstacles.
I am 53 and enjoy most of my work + a very nice salary. But we also want to travel more while we still can and enjoy spending time together.
So we have planned and saved to be able to start retirement together and to bridge the gap till my pension kicks in at age 60.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:18 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
...when going to w*rk feels like a trip to a dentist who is going to fill 5 deep cavities at 8 AM with no Novacaine.
That reminds me of a newspaper article I saw about some politician who was on his way somewhere to face the music about some issue: "He had all the spring in his step of a man on the way to have his prostate examined".
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:45 AM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas View Post
I agree with Grasshopper - when I hit the magic number it was time to go. The magic number in my case was age. I had been playing with the money numbers since my mid-20s and knew back then I would retire when I reached 55 (earliest retirement with retiree health insurance). It was not a hard transition since the plan had been in place for 30 years.

It's much easier to retire on your own terms than having your health or someone else make the decision for you.
But you didn't retire on your own terms. You waited until Corp policy regarding health insurance dictated the date. Just saying..........

This is probably the case for most folks who put in a lifetime locked into MegaCorp or gov't careers.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:31 PM   #40
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
... Work was pretty good but I am intent on doing some of my life plans now.

Nice to have more money but money < time in my calculations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
But you didn't retire on your own terms. You waited until Corp policy regarding health insurance dictated the date. Just saying..........

This is probably the case for most folks who put in a lifetime locked into MegaCorp or gov't careers.
These two quotes resonate, for me. I work in a government job - and I see folks who should have retired years ago (in my mind)... keep coming in and maybe letting the job make them bitter or ill. It reminds me that the time we spend at work is not the sum of our being.
When I was military, I tried very hard not to let my job or rank define my personal value - I'm continuing that now. Still haven't set a date, and can see I need to do some number crunching to come close to the level of preparedness that some here have attained... but I'm going to stay true to this:
Live life, have fun, be well... and don't sweat the small ****. Can I say that here? Guess I'll find out... "Submit Reply"
No, tony - you cannot!
tony d tiger is offline   Reply With Quote