Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-09-2007, 10:15 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Paid cash , for better or worse, for the 2 cars we have today. Lately have been logging about 15k a year, total, on both. Going to either sell one , and put the monies aside for a future purchase, or both and get newer version of what we have.

My only wish is that there was a worthwhile ALL wheel drive Hybred. I think we are about 5- 10 years away for anything , energy efficient and practical. By then I'll be able to get Antique plates for the vehicles I have. and reduce my insurance costs. Gonna be a tough call.
Chris24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2007, 06:36 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for all your replies. My ideas are mostly in line with what most have posted in this thread. I think, ultimately, I'll start paying myself a car payment that goes into a high-interest savings account and/or CDs, which can be pulled at the time of purchase. I hope that's four years from now, if this Saturn can make it that far.

I appreciate the feedback.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:16 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBuzz View Post
I'm curious how some of you save for a car you know you'll need in four, five, six, seven, etc. years. Thanks in advance,
GB
We figure we'll always have two late model vehicles for the foreseeable future, costing about 15k each used. I simply budget 750/month ($30k, 3yrs @8%), which I allow to accumulate in a MM or CD. Then we pay cash for the vehicles. Just the difference between earning interest and paying interest on vehicle costs puts you WAY ahead. We generally drive the vehicles way more than three years, but this gives me a big cushion for repairs, etc.

I don't have a separate account per se.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:28 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I see no reason to save for the next car in a high interest savings account. Instead one should put the money in their investments in the normal asset allocation way. The timing of the purchase of your next car is not usually cast in stone, nor is the price, nor is it an emergency. Therefore, the savings account is too low a risk for this money. You will potentially get a higher return for your money elsewhere.

The last time we bought a car, we were prepared to cash in the investment asset class that had gone up the most (i.e. rebalancing), but in the end the dealer simply gave us the car just to get it off the lot.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote