Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!
Old 03-18-2006, 01:23 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!

I guess in a couple of areas I'm a little picky about wording. You dont experience a loss unless you sell, and I just hear a few too many very conservative or doom and gloomers saying "But what if the market turns down and I lose money!?!". You didnt lose money. An asset you're still holding has temporarily been reduced in value, and unless you sell it at that juncture, you havent "lost your shirt".

From the definition of the word...
To place (something) where one cannot find it again
To Fail to keep or to maintain; cease to have

But if you want to look at it in the worst possible light, g'head. Why not try to claim the 'loss' on your taxes
__________________

__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!
Old 03-18-2006, 01:32 PM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 784
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!

Ah, I guess different things annoy us

For me, the main reason I ever cared about the distinction was doom 'n' gloomers who look at a paper gain and say, "but it's not worth anything until I sell -- I could still lose it all any time." Well, yes, but you could lose all your money at a time if you'd cashed out and were holding it in $100 bills, too; or, more likely, you could gradually lose it all over time through inflation. As it now stands, you have something that's worth as much as the paper says it is, and is pretty much as liquid as the currency you're measuring it in. And unless it's the year 2000, you're more likely to keep making money than to lose it all at once.

As for your definitions... if the price has gone down, you have ceased to have the difference in value; it no longer exists. And that you can't claim it on your taxes is only because of the mechanics of how taxes are collected, not because you still have that value in some way or another; it's gone.

Anyway, we both hate the right people, so why argue?
__________________

__________________
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!
Old 03-18-2006, 02:51 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,387
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl


A lot of times analysts ignore dividends.* Is it just because it would make things more complicated to calculate?* The dividends would make a big difference, right?
Depends on the dividend yield. In the case of Japan, very small contribution form dividends during these years.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!
Old 03-18-2006, 02:58 PM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Dood
Ah, I guess different things annoy us
I'm really not annoyed, i'm just offering the half of the glass thats full rather than the half thats empty.
Quote:
Anyway, we both hate the right people, so why argue?
I know you're kidding, but I dont really hate anyone. Well...maybe a couple of people. Not that I'd ever let it show...

Ha...your post went away while I was trying to quote it...not only do I not see any reason to show internally consistent reasoning, I dont see what stock market movement has to do with locking in a cd rate for 5-7 years when there is no sign that interest rates wont continue north for a little bit longer...
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!
Old 03-19-2006, 05:07 AM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 228
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!

Cute 'n' Fuzzy Bunny, it's not a matter of doom and gloom. I've got a lot of money invested in the market and reasonable confidence and optimism about what I do, so I'm not a "doomer 'n' gloomer". Nevertheless, assets must be marked to market with some frequency to know what they're worth. Holding shares you can purchase everyday for less (than you've paid) does not make them more valuable than they are quoted for. Everybody must acknowledge that on his/her road to financial realism.

Back to the original post, I would recommend to mark to market (MM) trading accounts daily, investment accounts weekly, and total net worth quaterly.

As an indication, on a well diversified investment portfolio of funds with international exposure, I experienced this (quiet) year a weekly standard deviation (computed over a sliding year) of 6,22% of the NAV which gives 3k per 100k of market exposure, biggest pick to through (P2T) was just 3,91% between 30/09/2005 and 28/10/2006, total yearly return 17,7%.

Trading accounts have a much greater volatility and much larger P2T but with better returns... at the expense of greater risks !

__________________
gnoti seauton
poyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!
Old 03-19-2006, 08:51 AM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!

Poyet, I completely agree. I think its appropriate at this time to pause and read my sig. I have never, ever, ever, ever, ever made any connotations about ignoring day to day valuations.

I am objecting to the use of the word "lost" as in "I am expecting the stock market to dive, and that will cause me to lose all my money".

Unless you were planning on selling that day, you will not 'lose' anything. Just as you have not "found" money when your portfolio goes up.

I am also not trying to be Mr. Language Person here. We have an awful lot of inexperienced investors reading these threads, and when they hear they might "LOSE" money, its frightening to them. Its bizarre to see someone say "I'm afraid i'm going to lose money in the stock market so I moved everything to cash". What is really going on is they are afraid of volatility and want to move to an involatile asset class, which then loses value to inflation. The facts are, anything that gains money entails risk and volatility risk is one of those. However volatility risk IS NOT risk of loss.
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!
Old 03-19-2006, 09:28 AM   #87
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Spanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 4,046
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!

I concur that it's not a lost until it is sold, by definition, despite the drop in value.
__________________
May we live in peace and harmony and be free from all human sufferings.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!
Old 03-19-2006, 03:42 PM   #88
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
free4now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,225
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!

Maybe it comes down to whether your psyche considers losses additive.

If you buy a security at 100 and it's value drops 10 points ten times while you hold it, then an unenlightened person might feel in their gut "I've lost ten times 10 which is everything I put into it... I am hosed! I should have gotten out a long time ago.".

But the more enlightened person might notice that everytime it dropped 10 points in value it soon rose 11 points, and the value is now 110. So this person doesn't perceive that any losses have occurred at all.

__________________
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!
Old 03-19-2006, 04:05 PM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets
tomz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 251
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n' Fuzzy Bunny
The facts are, anything that gains money entails risk and volatility risk is one of those. However volatility risk IS NOT risk of loss.
It is, however, a loss if you need to cash in an investment when it is down.* If you have created a portfolio that allows you to subsist and ignore volatilty and wait for the investment to go back up, then you can deal with the volatility.* However, if your buffer is not large enough, volatility can turn into a loss.* Trying to strike a balance between your buffer (which can handle losses) and the volatility is the rub.* If only we were omniscient. :
__________________
tomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!
Old 03-19-2006, 07:16 PM   #90
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!

Absolutely right Tomz.

If you dont have enough of a cash buffer, a heloc, some fixed income or other investments to sip from if the market takes a long deep downturn, then you've screwed up. Thats the education most people need to hear...good asset allocation where you have both conservative stuff and assets that actually will produce a long term positive gain.

But to be fair, the "sit in cash until the downturn" or "aiyee, the market is going to crash" folks will look pretty darn smart if it happens. Sometime during our lifetime there will likely be such an event. Although since i'm outpacing cash and fixed income holders by 4-6%+ a year, if it doesnt happen soon it really wont make a difference.
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!
Old 03-23-2006, 04:16 PM   #91
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,290
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n' Fuzzy Bunny

I am objecting to the use of the word "lost" as in "I am expecting the stock market to dive, and that will cause me to lose all my money".

Unless you were planning on selling that day, you will not 'lose' anything.* Just as you have not "found" money when your portfolio goes up.
It is how one looks at the what people are saying.. when someone is using 'lost' they usually mean 'I lost value', not that I am missing my stock... and the opposite is not 'found', but gained. You either lose or gain value on a daily basis... and it is real. You do not have to sell to have a real loss. The defininition I use for this is below. Yes, your definition is for losing you keys or something else where you do not have physical possession of the article anymore.

The reason why I try to get some others to see this is that I have heard many people delude themselves into saying they have not 'lost' anything because the stock price is down because they have not sold... that if they hang onto it long enough it will come back to where they purchased and they can say "see, I did not lose anything"... they hang onto a bad investment trying to justify their purchase of it instead of recognizing the obvious and they saying where is the money best invested... it might be the stock they own right now, but it might be another stock. NOT recognizing that you have already LOST the value will keep some people from moving money into a better investment.




Main Entry: loss
Function: noun
1 : physical, emotional, or esp. economic harm or damage sustained: as a : decrease in value, capital, or amount ócompare GAIN b : an amount by which the cost of something (as goods or services) exceeds the selling price ócompare PROFIT c : something unintentionally destroyed or placed beyond recovery
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!
Old 03-23-2006, 10:31 PM   #92
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,387
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
The reason why I try to get some others to see this is that I have heard many people delude themselves into saying they have not 'lost' anything because the stock price is down because they have not sold...* that if they hang onto it long enough it will come back to where they purchased and they can say "see, I did not lose anything"...* they hang onto a bad investment trying to justify their purchase of it instead of recognizing the obvious and they saying where is the money best invested... it might be the stock they own right now, but it might be another stock.* NOT recognizing that you have already LOST the value will keep some people from moving money into a better investment.
I believe that the bunny understands this. He is just having a provocative bad week.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!
Old 03-24-2006, 08:01 AM   #93
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!

I absolutely understand the line of thinking. I just dont know why someone would subject themselves to it. I can choose to look positively at a situation or take the worst case and drive myself into the ground with it. Choosing the latter results in poor decisions, self destruction and depression. Choosing the former helps one maintain discipline. Neither alters the financial facts.

Even in the mitigating definition above, the words "economic harm" "damage sustained" "destroyed" and "placed beyond recovery" are well taken.

Should the stock market drop 99.99% today, I will have suffered no harm, no damage, nothing will have been destroyed and nothing will be beyond recovery. Unless I sell as an emotional reaction. Unless I thought I was an investing "genius" and held individual stocks in companies that defaulted. Unless I used poor asset allocation. Unless my planning lacked sensible safety nets and the ability to accommodate a portfolio value that is temporarily reduced.

Theres a message here, and it isnt that I'm trying to be contentious. Its that we have a strong history of what does and what doesnt work when one is trying to make money in financial markets. What works is taking a broad position using good asset allocation, and barring truly exceptional events, to hold the course. Having a backup plan. Maintaining a safety net. And not losing your cool when bad things happen. Then there is little chance of "losing" anything.

The worst thing on earth you can do is add up all the fears and negatives and beat yourself into a losing strategy as a result.

But maybe it's all different now. Maybe a huge downturn IS right around the corner. Maybe the holders of primarily cash and fixed instruments will see what they've long expected and have their pickings of the market through a horrific 5 year bear market or a 10 year secular bear. Geez louise, if that was my idea of what to look forward to, I'd have to strap on some of my kids diapers cuz I'd be crapping my pants three times a day in fear.

Or maybe sentiment is good, valuations are decent, and a few trillion bucks worth of cash thats been "sitting on the sidelines" gets deployed and we see a nice smooth bull for 10.

In either situation, I have a plan that works. And I dont "LOSE" anything. And I know for a fact that nobody knows whats going to happen except for someone who was the lucky guesser of the day.

What I know for sure is that waiting is a fools game, and that the price of weasel cheese, the south american hogwart political position, the chinese incursion and the m5 to g5 pricing ratio are as good or better than any other predictor of whats going to happen.

Now put on your helmets, get in the game, and win one for the bunny, goddammit.
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!
Old 03-24-2006, 08:46 AM   #94
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,005
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n' Fuzzy Bunny
Geez louise, if that was my idea of what to look forward to, I'd have to strap on some of my kids diapers cuz I'd be crapping my pants three times a day in fear.
Pardon me if I'm overstepping my bounds here. I'm no nurse, so you may want to check with your wife first, but I'd recommend "right-sizing" some adult diapers onto that a$$ of yours. Those little baby diapers just won't hold all the $hit you are capable of spewing forth.

(sorry for gross imagery )
__________________
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!
Old 03-24-2006, 09:13 AM   #95
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!

I thought there was a slim chance someone would "go there". Glad to see my concerns werent misplaced

However in response to your issue, I have duct tape.
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!
Old 03-24-2006, 09:50 AM   #96
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!

Duct tape will even fix a bear market...
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!
Old 03-24-2006, 09:57 AM   #97
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 569
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!

Your Portfolio declines $20,000, that means, using 4% withdrawal you hypothetically have to cut back your spending $67 a month.

Next Year it could go up $20,000, you can now increase your spending by $67 a month.

Gains and Losses are spread over a lifetime, not at a particular moment.

FA's can never be right all the time, but people measure tham at that moment.
__________________
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!
Old 03-24-2006, 10:12 AM   #98
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mesa
Posts: 3,588
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
Duct tape will even fix a bear market...*
Who makes duct tape? Maybe we should invest in them. . . . and whoever makes diapers.
__________________
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!
Old 03-24-2006, 10:51 AM   #99
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,290
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!

Hey Bunny,

Great post... and I actually do know where you are coming from and I am not at all directing this at you, because I think you 'get it'.. and let me also say that I am not one of those doom sayers either... I am 90% in stocks....

But, using your example... if the stock market when down 99.99% you say you did not lose anything.... UNTIL YOU SOLD.. but, under a good plan, you know you did because you would REBALANCE sometime as a good investor would... if you had not lost (or gained) you would not have to rebalance ever unless you sold because you have NO GAIN in any asset class and NO LOSS (or less gain) in the others...

Again, I am trying to get some of the people who do not understand to change thier thinking... as I have said, I have heard lots of people say the stock they own is worth 50% of what they paid for it, but they have not lost anything because they had not sold... to me they are deluding themselves into keeping a bad investment.. What I try to tell them is... today, what is the best investments for your dollars... if it is NOT the stock you own that you have a value loss, sell it and move to something else... it is this notion of 'not losing until you sell' that keeps people in bad investments because the do not want to admit a loss...

Now, I know that I will not change your thinking at all... it is like a friend of mine who believe that the gold system is the only way to go... I ask an economics professor how can I 'argue' debate with him to change his mind... he asked 'does he actually believe what he says', I said 'yes', he said 'drop it, you can not change his mind'.... so, I will take this sage advice and agree to disagree..
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!
Old 03-24-2006, 11:47 AM   #100
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Re: How do you tolerate the Peaks and Vallies? I'm having a hard time!

I cant disagree with most of what you said, except for the rebalancing part. Come on, lets not get into weak semantics, but when rebalancing, i'm not buying lost assets with found money. I'm using appreciated assets to buy more depreciated assets.

I will fully agree that I dont think anybody every changed anyones set mind in person or via an internet chat board.

Its sad that people will spend their time so fearful of a loss that they'll fail to win as a result. Even sadder that when good buying opportunities come around, that people will chew themselves up over their "lost money".
__________________

__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:49 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.