Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-22-2019, 08:35 AM   #21

I buy tax software in November and do my taxes with estimates. I pull tIRA funds in December up to the ACA cliff. This might trigger a rebalance, which for me isn't complicated at all. I'm now running up against a low balance of after tax funds, so when funds run low during the following year, I pull Roth funds. This situation is not wildly common here, as many have after tax cash, so would be Roth converting to a limit, and not pulling Roth to make ends meet.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2019, 08:43 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
To major mistake that I made was continuing to live from taxable accounts after I was 59 1/2 rather than shifting to tax-deferred withdrawals as soon as I had penalty free withdrawals available.... I lost out on almost $100k of withdrawals that I could have done to reduce the tax torpedo but LTCG used up some of my headroom.
Prior to the ACA (which changes all rules if trying to limit MAGI), I had thought the recommended advice was to spend all taxable accounts down completely first, then tap 401k's/IRA's, then save Roth's for last.

So are you saying if you have the ability to tap 401K's/IRA's penalty-free that that it is better to do that than spend down your taxable completely first? Is this because you otherwise end up paying more in taxes due to RMD's later on (is that what the tax torpedo is?)?

This obviously is an area which I need to learn more about - not my strength!

Given our situation with needing to manage MAGI for ACA subsidies, my plan is for us to use a mix of our taxable accounts plus DH's 401K (since he left service from that company in the year he turned 55 - yes - I checked - he can make withdrawals). This will allow us to spread out our taxable account money over more years and obtain subsidies longer, I hope.

If tapping our 401K early has a side bonus of reducing our taxes later, too - then yippee! Am I understanding correctly?

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:54 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
So are you saying if you have the ability to tap 401K's/IRA's penalty-free that that it is better to do that than spend down your taxable completely first? Is this because you otherwise end up paying more in taxes due to RMD's later on (is that what the tax torpedo is?)?

Yes, as long as you have a good sized 401K/IRA.

RMD's start at approx 3.7% of your total IRA/401K balance, and increase in percentage each year.
So a Million dollar total will add $37,000 to income (on top of your SS) and any other income. It's pretty easy to go up in tax brackets.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:16 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Yes, as long as you have a good sized 401K/IRA.

RMD's start at approx 3.7% of your total IRA/401K balance, and increase in percentage each year.
So a Million dollar total will add $37,000 to income (on top of your SS) and any other income. It's pretty easy to go up in tax brackets.
Got it - thank you so much!!!

Old 03-22-2019, 11:18 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Prior to the ACA (which changes all rules if trying to limit MAGI), I had thought the recommended advice was to spend all taxable accounts down completely first, then tap 401k's/IRA's, then save Roth's for last.

This obviously is an area which I need to learn more about - not my strength!

Given our situation with needing to manage MAGI for ACA subsidies, my plan is for us to use a mix of our taxable accounts plus DH's 401K (since he left service from that company in the year he turned 55 - yes - I checked - he can make withdrawals). This will allow us to spread out our taxable account money over more years and obtain subsidies longer, I hope.

If tapping our 401K early has a side bonus of reducing our taxes later, too - then yippee! Am I understanding correctly?
Yes, you got it. It dawned on me that after I turned 59 1/2 that is better to tap tax-deferred accounts to reduce future RMDs and let taxable account investments grow and potentially get a stepped up basis so the embedded gains never get taxed. Unfortunately, I didn't have that epiffany until 2018 when I turned 63, and as a result of annual rebalancing had over 3 years filled about $100k of headroom with LTCG that could have been better used to reduce tax-deferred balances.

We didn't have the complication of managing income for ACA subsidies.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:37 AM   #26

Quote:
Yes, you got it. It dawned on me that after I turned 59 1/2 that is better to tap tax-deferred accounts to reduce future RMDs and let taxable account investments grow and potentially get a stepped up basis so the embedded gains never get taxed. Unfortunately, I didn't have that epiffany until 2018 when I turned 63, and as a result of annual rebalancing had over 3 years filled about $100k of headroom with LTCG that could have been better used to reduce tax-deferred balances.

Got it. That complication of managing income for ACA subsidies is actually the only reason I'm looking at tapping the 401K before using all of our taxable account up. I would have done the same thing you did - fully tap the taxable account first - that seemed to be the standard advice I was reading everywhere.

Thank you for sharing your mistake as it is helping me learn more about tax stuff/RMD's - which I have been putting my head in the sand about for a while now. Taxes are not my forte!

The stepped up basis thing - that just applies if you are giving $ to your children, right? I looked it up and didn't see that it applied to any other situation. We don't have children so I'm thinking this isn't something that could apply to our situation.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:41 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

No, the stepped up basis is when one inherits stock... your stepped up basis is the value on the date of death... so if I die and have a taxable account worth $100k with a basis of $40k with DW as the beneficiary, DW avoids tax on $60k... she can sell for $100k and pay no tax. Same works if I inherit her account... or for 1/2 for joint accounts in community property states.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:48 PM   #28

Quote:
No, the stepped up basis is when one inherits stock... your stepped up basis is the value on the date of death... so if I die and have a taxable account worth $100k with a basis of $40k with DW as the beneficiary, DW avoids tax on $60k... she can sell for $100k and pay no tax. Same works if I inherit her account... or for 1/2 for joint accounts in community property states.

AHA! I just learned something else I had no clue about. Well, we own the taxable account jointly. Florida is not a community property state. Apparently it uses something called Equitable Distribution. Any clue what that means if one of us should pass, and we still have $ our joint taxable account?

Old 03-22-2019, 04:55 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In equitable distribution states, generally only the separate property belonging to the deceased spouse and half of any jointly owned property receives a step-up in tax basis.
https://tomorrow.me/trust-worthy/pla...roperty-state/

Let's say that your taxable account is worth $500k and your basis is $200k and one of you dies. As of the date of death the new basis is $350k ($200*50% for your piece and $500k * 50% for the inherited piece). So at 15%, you've saved $22.5k in tax.

Old 03-22-2019, 05:27 PM   #30

Quote:
https://tomorrow.me/trust-worthy/pla...roperty-state/

Let's say that your taxable account is worth $500k and your basis is $200k and one of you dies. As of the date of death the new basis is $350k ($200*50% for your piece and $500k * 50% for the inherited piece). So at 15%, you've saved $22.5k in tax.
Thank you so much. I had to think about that hard and discuss with DH, but we finally get it. Another benefit to using part of our 401K earlier than we had thought.

That's 3 reasons now:

1) MAGI management for ACA - extend taxable account $$$ over more years
2) reduce RMD hit when our SS and pensions start since we have a fair amount in 401k's/IRA's
3) preserve a bit of extra $ from taxes should one of us pass early (hopefully won't need this "benefit")

Much appreciated!

Old 03-22-2019, 10:11 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

PB-

This is an interesting approach; to tap tax-deferred accounts before taxable accounts. Knowing you, I’m sure you’ve analyzed this so, I’d like to hear what convinced you to choose this route. I’m thinking of it in the larger context of all the choices early retirees (those who retire well before SS eligibility with a multi-year low income window) have to choose from. It makes me think about the old thread about LTCG Capture vs Roth Conversions: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ons-90648.html

Very interested in your thoughts.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:33 AM   #32

Quote:
Thank you so much. I had to think about that hard and discuss with DH, but we finally get it. Another benefit to using part of our 401K earlier than we had thought.

That's 3 reasons now:

1) MAGI management for ACA - extend taxable account $$$ over more years
2) reduce RMD hit when our SS and pensions start since we have a fair amount in 401k's/IRA's
3) preserve a bit of extra $ from taxes should one of us pass early (hopefully won't need this "benefit")

Much appreciated!

Along with #1 for ACA, there is also an impact on your Income-Related Monthly Adjustment Amount, or IRMAA.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:56 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
PB-

This is an interesting approach; to tap tax-deferred accounts before taxable accounts. Knowing you, I’m sure you’ve analyzed this so, I’d like to hear what convinced you to choose this route. I’m thinking of it in the larger context of all the choices early retirees (those who retire well before SS eligibility with a multi-year low income window) have to choose from. It makes me think about the old thread about LTCG Capture vs Roth Conversions: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ons-90648.html

Very interested in your thoughts.
The genesis of my decision was a model that I had for seeing how big my tax torpedo might be and how best to reduce it.

Prior to the decision I was living off of taxable but because my basis was only about 1/2 of current value when I sold equities to rebalance my cash I was generating significant LTCG. There was no tax on the LTCG since we manage our income to the top of the 0% LTCG bracket and that was great... but I realized that each $1 of LTCG ended up being my not being able to do $1 of either Roth conversions or tTRA withdrawals.

Obviously, the best way to minimize the tax torpedo is to minimize tax-deferred balances so I should have been favoring tIRA withdrawals and/or Roth conversions over LTCG once I had penalty-free withdrawals.

Then it struck me that if DW or I pass that our individual account would get a stepped up basis and our joint account will get 1/2 a stepped up basis and that is a huge benefit since our basis is about 1/2 of our values. While LTCG is effectively the same thing, the downside is that any LTCG end up reducing my ability to reduce the tax torpedo.

One key is that we don't need to manage our income for ACA so we have more flexibility and more headroom and flexibility.

So if I had to do it over again in our situation where at retirement at 56 we had 1/2 our nestegg in tax deferred and minimal in tax-free, I would live off of taxable from 56 to 59 1/2 and do Roth conversions to the top of the 12% tax bracket, then shift to leaving taxable along and doing tIRA withdrawals and Roth conversions from 59 1/2 to SS/RMDs to reduce the tax torpedo.

In total retrospect, I probably should have left my 401k at my old employer and starting using tax-deferred money from when I first retired at age 56.... but I wasn't at all thinking about the tax torpedo back then and I rolled my 401k into a tIRA, which moved my date of opportunity from ER at 56 to 59 1/2.

Anywho, that's my story and until someone comes along with a better idea, I'm sticking to it.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:28 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The stepped up basis thing - that just applies if you are giving $ to your children, right? I looked it up and didn't see that it applied to any other situation. We don't have children so I'm thinking this isn't something that could apply to our situation.
It also applies if you donate appreciated stock to charity.

So if you're charitably inclined and own $100K in stock for which you paid $50K, then you could donate the stock to the charity and take a $100K deduction (unless limited by AGI). The charity could then sell the stock for $100K and realize no capital gains.

At least that used to be the way it worked and I haven't heard of any changes to that part of the tax law (other than the increased standard deduction makes a higher hurdle to get over in any given year for this strategy).
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:13 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The genesis of my decision was a model that I had for seeing how big my tax torpedo might be and how best to reduce it.

Prior to the decision I was living off of taxable but because my basis was only about 1/2 of current value when I sold equities to rebalance my cash I was generating significant LTCG. There was no tax on the LTCG since we manage our income to the top of the 0% LTCG bracket and that was great... but I realized that each $1 of LTCG ended up being my not being able to do $1 of either Roth conversions or tTRA withdrawals.

Obviously, the best way to minimize the tax torpedo is to minimize tax-deferred balances so I should have been favoring tIRA withdrawals and/or Roth conversions over LTCG once I had penalty-free withdrawals.

Then it struck me that if DW or I pass that our individual account would get a stepped up basis and our joint account will get 1/2 a stepped up basis and that is a huge benefit since our basis is about 1/2 of our values. While LTCG is effectively the same thing, the downside is that any LTCG end up reducing my ability to reduce the tax torpedo.

One key is that we don't need to manage our income for ACA so we have more flexibility and more headroom and flexibility.

So if I had to do it over again in our situation where at retirement at 56 we had 1/2 our nestegg in tax deferred and minimal in tax-free, I would live off of taxable from 56 to 59 1/2 and do Roth conversions to the top of the 12% tax bracket, then shift to leaving taxable along and doing tIRA withdrawals and Roth conversions from 59 1/2 to SS/RMDs to reduce the tax torpedo.

In total retrospect, I probably should have left my 401k at my old employer and starting using tax-deferred money from when I first retired at age 56.... but I wasn't at all thinking about the tax torpedo back then and I rolled my 401k into a tIRA, which moved my date of opportunity from ER at 56 to 59 1/2.

Anywho, that's my story and until someone comes along with a better idea, I'm sticking to it.
Nice explanation.
I am managing monies for the ACA.
However, DGF can do some Roth conversions until we hit 65.
Then will fund most of our spending from TIRA until SS at 70.
401k has a 3.78% current net yield for the Stable Value fund, so no plans to use those monies until RMD time.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:31 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
It also applies if you donate appreciated stock to charity.

So if you're charitably inclined and own $100K in stock for which you paid $50K, then you could donate the stock to the charity and take a $100K deduction (unless limited by AGI). The charity could then sell the stock for $100K and realize no capital gains.

At least that used to be the way it worked and I haven't heard of any changes to that part of the tax law (other than the increased standard deduction makes a higher hurdle to get over in any given year for this strategy).
Not trying to sell for them, but we have funds with Fidelity and it was very simpl and easy to setup a charitable trust with them and fund it as you describe with some Microsoft stock that had doubled since purchase. Press says that the ability to contribute the appreciated stock without claiming cap gains still continues. If you bunch couple or several years of contributions you can itemize one year and then send $$ to charity over next few years and take the new higher standard deduction. Also, press reports that the ability to send RMD amounts directly to charity and not impact income for Medicare or SS income computations.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:02 AM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

All of our dividends/interest are being reinvested. Currently we have a few years expenses sitting in cash. We also have a monthly auto transfer set up, at our current withdrawal rate, from our InvestCo to our checking account to cover our monthly spending...
Old 03-24-2019, 09:15 AM   #38

Well, I haven't retired yet, but my withdrawal plan will be TAP & ROLL.

That is tap the IRAs and roll into Roths, between ages 59 1/2 until the change in tax rates: 2026? Thereafter, I will see. The goal is to get as much as possible into the Roths, so as to minimize the tax torpedo, which will be coming the year DH turns 70 1/2. I will use income from the taxable to pay tax on the conversions.

ACA is not a factor.

I will also discuss when to take SS with my accountant, so I will see how that affects my ability to make conversions.

DH, as the higher earner, is also postponing his SS to age 70.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:48 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
Well, I haven't retired yet, but my withdrawal plan will be TAP & ROLL.

That is tap the IRAs and roll into Roths, between ages 59 1/2 until the change in tax rates: 2026? Thereafter, I will see. The goal is to get as much as possible into the Roths, so as to minimize the tax torpedo, which will be coming the year DH turns 70 1/2. I will use income from the taxable to pay tax on the conversions.

ACA is not a factor.

I will also discuss when to take SS with my accountant, so I will see how that affects my ability to make conversions.

DH, as the higher earner, is also postponing his SS to age 70.
If you’ve not already used this SS calculator from Mike Piper, you may want to before meeting with your accountant. It’s very instructive. For example, it tells us that age 70 is not the optimum age to begin SS. We may still choose age 70 for longevity insurance reasons but, it’s good to know what’s ‘optimum’ based on NPV.

https://opensocialsecurity.com
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:47 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
If you’ve not already used this SS calculator from Mike Piper, you may want to before meeting with your accountant. It’s very instructive. For example, it tells us that age 70 is not the optimum age to begin SS. We may still choose age 70 for longevity insurance reasons but, it’s good to know what’s ‘optimum’ based on NPV.

https://opensocialsecurity.com
That's a good site. Note that the answer it gives you depends greatly on the discount rate you choose to assume. The discount rate is hidden under advanced options (tickbox at the top).
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote