Join Early Retirement Today

How Do You Withdraw?
Old 03-20-2019, 07:09 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How Do You Withdraw?

We are 62. Consider ourselves ER, but DH has a consulting gig from home that brings approx. $42K/yr. He makes his own schedule and is free from mega corp, I am fully retired from 50 years of working (started at 12 in my parents restaurant).
We've not drawn from our portfolio 50/35 and 15% in laddered CD's all under VG umbrella.
We have approx. $200K+ in outside I bonds, EE bonds and cash combined with consulting, we're good for 2-3 years without touching portfolio. 60% of our portfolio is after tax. The rest in IRA. We both have Roth IRAs and fund every year since start of the benefit. Own home/cars, no debt.

Guessing will take SS @ 64 which will bring $40K after DH quits consulting.

Currently we re invest dividends and any capital gains/interest from CD's.
What tool or advice on how to withdraw when the time comes. Some here re balance every year. I understand this is a complex question, but ask for a start. Our tax rate would be 12% over the next 10 years. Should we convert to more cash? We have 3 more years of ACA, but understand Medicare cost is based on income.

We plan our income based on ACA requirements. D/H could earn more consulting but chose not to. It would end up a wash and he enjoys his free time.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2019, 07:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
We are 62. Consider ourselves ER, but DH has a consulting gig from home that brings approx. $42K/yr. He makes his own schedule and is free from mega corp, I am fully retired from 50 years of working (started at 12 in my parents restaurant).
We've not drawn from our portfolio 50/35 and 15% in laddered CD's all under VG umbrella.
We have approx. $200K+ in outside I bonds, EE bonds and cash combined with consulting, we're good for 2-3 years without touching portfolio.

What tool or advice on how to withdraw when the time comes. Some here re balance every year. I understand this is a complex question, but ask for a start. Our tax rate would be 12% over the next 10 years. Should we convert to more cash? We have 3 more years of ACA, but understand Medicare cost is based on income.
In my case, I am also on the ACA and am currently controlling income for maximum subsidies and cost sharing. At 65, I will delay SS and start Roth conversions with my IRA to reduce the RMD tax damage at 70 1/2.
I currently hold 2 years in short term cash and bond funds for income. I replace the funds with re-balancing my taxable account. I do auto withdrawal from Vanguard to my checking account monthly for income.
I do not reinvest dividends in my taxable account due to tax loss harvesting.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:18 AM   #3

I think a lot depends upon what your WR needs to be to maintain your lifestyle after the consulting money goes away.

You can rebalance as you withdraw from your IRAs, or anytime you think things have got too far out of whack.
You can live off of your after-tax accounts and take your IRA withdrawals all at once near year's end, or budget a certain amount each month. I take my IRA withdrawals near year's end. Just my personal preference.

Like you, I have enough after-tax money that I don't have to touch my IRA money for a while, other than some Inherited IRA money I have to take. I am trying to figure out for myself if I should take some out now, and get up to the 75K threshold for Taxable Income, (and lose a bit of ACA money for DW's premium-I'm on Medicare), or hold off. I still haven't figured that out yet. I'm not sure, in the long run, if it makes much of a difference, really.

Less tax now? More tax later? Vice-versa?? Who knows?
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:24 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you're constrained by ACA you probably don't have sufficient headroom to do much.... perhaps some very modest tax-deferred withdrawals or Roth conversions or gains trading.

You may have a short window between Medicare at 65 and SS at FRA or 70 where you will have more headroom. We are leaving our taxable accounts to grow since they'll get a stepped-up basis and focusing on tax-deferred withdrawals to minimize the tax torpedo.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:00 AM   #5

I was struggling with this last year when we were actually giving notice to retire. These two articles helped me with the minutia of the whole process. They do go into Asset Allocation more than you probably care for, but there are some good nuggets in both. After 6+ months, I will say that I made it much more complicated than it actually is.

https://www.theretirementmanifesto.c...down-strategy/

https://www.theretirementmanifesto.c...ment-paycheck/

Good luck!
Old 03-20-2019, 10:20 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Every situation is different. It depends on all your sources of income. For us, we receive interest payments and dividends in both taxable and tax deferred accounts from bonds, CDs, money market accounts/funds throughout the year. We re-invest 100% of the tax deferred income in whatever fixed income instruments yields the best risk/reward. We don't plan to touch our tax deferred accounts until age 70 1/2. With respect to interest income deposited in taxable accounts, we withdraw what we need to pay our income taxes and big item purchases or major home renovations. Otherwise that income is also 100% re-invested in whatever fixed income instruments that yields the best risk/reward. I have a pension that covers all our expenses including travel with some margin. However with this pension, I have to take SS at age 62 since it will be reduced by the SS amount at age 62.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:21 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

You simply withdraw the funds including taxes and rebalance. How often you do it up is up to you. Once a year works for me as I don’t care to rebalance more often. I picked a withdrawal rate and draw that much annually, set aside funds to cover expected taxes, and the remainder is available for spending.

We are above ACA limits so I don’t take that into account.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
I was struggling with this last year when we were actually giving notice to retire. These two articles helped me with the minutia of the whole process. They do go into Asset Allocation more than you probably care for, but there are some good nuggets in both. After 6+ months, I will say that I made it much more complicated than it actually is.

https://www.theretirementmanifesto.c...down-strategy/

https://www.theretirementmanifesto.c...ment-paycheck/

Good luck!
Great tools (articles)! Both links. Yes, I'm probably over thinking this. Since we have a couple of years to w/d from the portfolio. But then, I worry about a deep dive into bear territory and wonder if we should re balance to safer investments.

Yesterday, I was connected to a "sharp cookie" at VG who talked me through some strategies re: a loser of stock we've had for many years. Kept it as it showed promise then disappointed in a major way. We sold at at (basically) the same price we bought at in 2011. I learn a little more everyday.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:28 AM   #9

RMD
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
We have approx. $200K+ in outside I bonds, EE bonds and cash combined with consulting, we're good for 2-3 years without touching portfolio. 60% of our portfolio is after tax. The rest in IRA. We both have Roth IRAs and fund every year since start of the benefit. Own home/cars, no debt.

We plan our income based on ACA requirements. D/H could earn more consulting but chose not to. It would end up a wash and he enjoys his free time.
https://www.i-orp.com/bequest/index.html Optimal Retirement Planner.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:27 PM   #11

I generally raise spending cash by selling whatever has outperformed during recent years. That both locks in the gain and rebalances in one step. If the cap gain is large and therefore the tax projects high, before year end sometimes I'll also dispose of a loser to decrease the net cap gain and tax.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:41 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

We are both under 59.5 y.o. We take all taxable investment dividends and capital gains in cash, deposited to our checking account. We sell $10K to $30K from taxable to top off our withdrawals and base the decision of what to sell to keep our AA in balance. Then we do Roth conversions to bring our MAGI up to $61K to stay within the ACA cliff. We are extremely light users of medical care, so no reason to shoot for maximum premium tax credits or cost sharing.
When DH retired 12+ years ago we had 66% taxable, 32% tax deferred, 2% Roth. We now have 35% taxable, 26% tax deferred, 39% Roth. We do not expect RMDs to be a problem when we are over 70 y.o.
N02L84ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:42 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

We take all our distributions in cash and let them accumulate in the portfolio during the year. This usually means we have cash to cover our Jan withdrawal and less rebalancing. This is in a taxable account, so it’s partly motivated by minimizing taxable transactions and less tracking of small lots. But is works our nicely for annual withdrawals too.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We take all our distributions in cash and let them accumulate in the portfolio during the year. This usually means we have cash to cover our withdrawal and less rebalancing. This is in a taxable account, so itís partly motivated by minimizing taxable transactions and less tracking of small lots. But is works our nicely for annual withdrawals too.
We do something similar. We take all distributions in cash (both after tax and tIRA). We then sell additional bond funds (which are close to par) in the after tax account to cover expenses. This leaves room for about $60k/year for Roth conversions within the 12% bracket. At the same time we are buying CD's in the tIRA with the distributions, at a bit higher rate than we are selling bonds. This pretty much takes care of re-balancing, as well.

When it comes time to take RMD's, the CD's will give us an option of taking cash if the market is down.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:56 PM   #15
Confused about dryer sheets

Does anyone feel there may be traction in Congress for Medicare to be reduced to 62 ? We can go early ( both 57 now ) and contemplating going next year at 58 before husbands contract changes the health care ruling . but would only carry benefits for three years which is more than some . Iím not complaining . Should we look at HSA plans . We are so confused . Plan b is to keep working a little more . We have options and some time just wondering
Firezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firezone View Post
Does anyone feel there may be traction in Congress for Medicare to be reduced to 62 ? We can go early ( both 57 now ) and contemplating going next year at 58 before husbands contract changes the health care ruling . but would only carry benefits for three years which is more than some . Iím not complaining . Should we look at HSA plans . We are so confused . Plan b is to keep working a little more . We have options and some time just wondering
Have you checked out healthsherpa.com and healthgov.org for estimates of health care costs?
Do you have taxable investments to potentially assist in managing income for ACA tax subsidies?
Old 03-22-2019, 04:16 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firezone View Post
Does anyone feel there may be traction in Congress for Medicare to be reduced to 62 ?....
Unlikely. Chatter but not enough votes... not to mention that they would need to sort out funding.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:41 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just retired so don't know how well this will work after several years but my plan is that I have 2-3 years of withdraws in cash, mostly money market type funds. Most of our $$ is in IRAs, both traditional and Roth. Plan is to leave Roth alone if we can as the legacy. Each year I plan to move next year's funds from the IRA to cash account at the end of the year and pay taxes at that time via withholding. I will re-balance at that time. I went as far as planning what investments to sell first 2 years to get living expenses. May be a bit too much detail in the plan, but it showed me where I needed to think a bit more or where a problem could pop up. I won't follow the plan to the last dot, but will follow spirit of the plan. Remember also that things change and you will need to modify any plan you have as they change and time goes along.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:00 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

To major mistake that I made was continuing to live from taxable accounts after I was 59 1/2 rather than shifting to tax-deferred withdrawals as soon as I had penalty free withdrawals available.... I lost out on almost $100k of withdrawals that I could have done to reduce the tax torpedo but LTCG used up some of my headroom.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:16 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
I generally raise spending cash by selling whatever has outperformed during recent years. That both locks in the gain and rebalances in one step. If the cap gain is large and therefore the tax projects high, before year end sometimes I'll also dispose of a loser to decrease the net cap gain and tax.
Ditto here ---using a similar plan with tIRAs. Also had a healthy amount of cash in online savings.

I stopped working in 2016 and the above system has worked well for us, even as we are remodeling this old money pit. It helps that we are in a LCOL area except winter time heat bills.

Just have to watch going over into the 22% bracket particularly if we have done some conversion to Roth IRAs.

jimandthom is offline   Reply With Quote