Join Early Retirement Today

How does one know what constitutes substantially identical for avoiding wash sale
Old 07-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

How does one know what constitutes substantially identical for avoiding wash sale

How does one determine what constitutes substantially identical investments (in IRS eyes) so as to avoid wash sale problem when tax loss harvesting, but reinvesting in something else at the same time? Are there clear IRS or other guidelines posted somewhere to determine how much difference is enough of a difference? For example, I am thinking about selling some VG Total International (VGTSX) and buying instead VG FTSE All-World ex-US (VFWIX). VFWIX adds a little exposure to North America that is not present in VGTSX (about 6-7 percent if I recall correctly), but the remaining regional percentages are pretty similarly proportioned between the two funds. Top ten holdings have much similarity between the two (though in different rank order) and top ten holdings represent a slightly different percentage of overall in each case. VFWIX holds a larger total number of stocks than VGTSX. Is there a quantifiable metric somewhere for this is is it just that the IRS "knows it when it sees it"? Thanks for any pointers.
rockyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyj View Post
For example, I am thinking about selling some VG Total International (VGTSX) and buying instead VG FTSE All-World ex-US (VFWIX).
VFWIX has Canada, and VGTSX doesn't, so they aren't substantially identical.

The IRS doesn't seem to have any guidelines, beyond the traditional "We know it when we see it!", but consensus among Bogleheads, where this comes up every few weeks, is that if two active funds have different management, or two passive funds track different (even if similar) indices, they'll pass the 'substantially identical' sniff test.

Swapping between the Vanguard 500 index (VFINX) and the Schwab S&P 500 Select (SWPPX) would be treated as a 'substantially identical' move, as both track the S&P 500 index.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post

The IRS doesn't seem to have any guidelines, beyond the traditional "We know it when we see it!", but consensus among Bogleheads, where this comes up every few weeks, is that if two active funds have different management, or two passive funds track different (even if similar) indices, they'll pass the 'substantially identical' sniff test.

Swapping between the Vanguard 500 index (VFINX) and the Schwab S&P 500 Select (SWPPX) would be treated as a 'substantially identical' move, as both track the S&P 500 index.
+1 on this... if it is actual stock... it has to be 'the same'... in funds... as mentioned by Paquette... you can get something that is very very close... but if it is an active managed fund... then you are probably good.. an index to a different index... probably good...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I'm good to go for this case.
rockyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

This has been discussed endlessly at Bogleheads. I think it is sort of like telling ghost stories around the campfire.

I may be wrong, but I've got to believe that the IRS doesn't have time to have agents running Morningstar X-Rays on funds to try to catch someone with a too similar investment.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:15 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post

Interestingly my Schwab rep told me that switching from the Vanguard Total Stock Market (VTI) to the Schwab Broad Index Fund SCHB would not be treated as a wash sale since the hold different securities. I'd say with the exception of a 500 index fund which holds 500 stocks everything else is different, until the IRS says it ain't so.

But than I am in the beg forgiveness school, YMMV.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote