Join Early Retirement Today

Re: How Early is Too Early?
Old 12-28-2005, 01:46 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
But staying at the job due to a lack of working through a fear (other than by working for another eight years!) sounds like paralysis by analysis.
As miserable as that sounds to me, worse yet would be already having pulled a trigger you can't undue and then wondering for the next ~ 60 years whether all that theoretical research is right. *Now THAT would really suck (to me). *

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2005, 01:47 PM   #42

Quote:
What you are essentially proposing is a 2% SWR. This sounds too conservative to me. I think that I would definitely retire today if I could match my spending with a 2% withdrawal rate.
Careful.... you're generalizing.*

I'm proposing 2% SWR for a possible 60 year retirement span.* * That is a heck of a lot of time for theoretical math to be monkied with by real-world events and situations..... 60 years at the 4% SWR that is.

*If he was retiring at 60, i'd be more than open to 4% SWR.* Heck, i might even go for 5% at 60, provided i had SS and a pension for support.

Old 12-28-2005, 02:04 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by azanon
I'm proposing 2% SWR for a possible 60 year retirement span. That is a heck of a lot of time for theoretical math to be monkied with by real-world events and situations..... 60 years at the 4% SWR that is.
Oh, no offense. I realized this.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:08 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuzzard
I must admit there is probably some truth in this. I worked long and hard to get where I am at, and it seem irrational to throw it all away. My rational mind says I can keep working, spend everything I make plus 4%, and have 3X my current disposable income.

My irrational minds says I would rather spend 50% of what I currently do, and spend all my time hiking in the mountains.
That's how many professionals feel in law, medicine, accounting, and engineering. *It often takes 15-20 years to reach a solid level of income (e.g. $150k+) along with a certain degree of flexibility in one's work schedule. *Faced with the ability to coast for 5-10 years and collect a healthy paycheck, many professionals would prefer to just clock their time in the office, raise their kids in a way they might not have enjoyed, take expensive vacations, buy a few "toys", etc... *The idea of cutting one' expenses by 50% just to quit working, after fighting tooth and nail for 15-20 years, just isn't all that palatable.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 02:11 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I must admit there is probably some truth in this. I worked long and hard to get where I am at, and it seem irrational to throw it all away. My rational mind says I can keep working, spend everything I make plus 4%, and have 3X my current disposable income.

My irrational minds says I would rather spend 50% of what I currently do, and spend all my time hiking in the mountains.
Choices, choices, fear and greed - what an interesting stew. *BB, I think this is the sort of thing that requires most FIREd folks to be pushed to actually take the leap, rather than separate service on their own. *Its scary to make that kind of decision, so it is easier to put it off. *You don't sound that unhappy in your job and appear to make plenty of loot and have time to do what you want to do. *That's great. *If I were in your shoes, I would probably spend a few days seriously thinking about what I want in life. *Maybe that includes what you are doing now. *Maybe, instead, that includes chucking it all, living on a lot less and having the time to contemplte your navel, etc. *That's a decision you will have to make, since nobody is forcing you to decide (at the moment).

Personally, I value my free time quite highly. *If a couple of million bucks fell out of the sky into my lap, I would wind things down at work within 6 months and go play. *There are too many nteresting things in the wide wonderful world, and kids grow up fast.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 04:48 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Me thinks you have this backwards... 8)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 05:26 PM   #47

I am guessing - and spending like - we all have a higher probability of being hit by a bus than out living a 4% (or less) withdrawl rate.

One can only plan so much.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:38 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I think that most of the ERs on this board, especially TH, will tell you that the sabbatical was the event that tipped their feelings from "work a little longer" to "get out now".
I dont know who that "TH" fellow is, but yep, sabbatical did it. Three months later I not only didnt want to go back to work, I couldnt stomach the stupid politics and horsepuckey that about 75% of my job consisted of.

It didnt hurt that the bull market gravy train had stopped and my stock options were all under water. If I was barely thrilled with doing the job for a million a year, doing it for a third of a mil sure at shootin' wasnt going to cut it.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote