Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We are in the same boat. Renting, with no other liabilities. Makes net worth calculations pretty easy.

The mental accounting for homes is interesting. If we were to buy the condo we are lusting after in this building

(prices for 2 bdrms down to $400K from $500K last year. Whoopee!) We would face property taxes of something like $8K a year plus another $3.5K for association fees. It would take something like $287K of conservative investments to generate an income stream to cover the minimum annual costs.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #62
Confused about dryer sheets

I don't have data for my net worth but do keep track of my retirement. I'm still in the rat race so new contributions, and DCA has helped me along with the market recovery.

My previous high was on 06/05/2008.
My low point was on 03/09/2009, down about -38.5%.
I'm currently at my all time high at +14% from my previous high.
texastech97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:24 PM   #63

Peak October '07
Valley March '09 -30% off the peak
Current -5.9% off peak which happens to be +34.4% above the valley
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:51 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Wow. I'd like to know how you got that last bit of almost vertical slope going!
Ah, the magic of being granted a boat load of stock options near a market bottom...
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:57 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Ah, the magic of being granted a boat load of stock options near a market bottom...
Ah, the luck of the Irish French.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:09 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
If you paid off a $165 liability with $165 of assets, the net effect on your net worth should be zero. This makes me wonder how many people on the Board are calculating NW without accounting for liabilities.
I wasn't initially considering actual net worth - I was looking at my portfolio and mentally calculating the $165K back in to evaluate how close I was to the previous high. When I look at actual net worth including the current value of two houses I am a little worse off, or so I would guess based on the housing market.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:21 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Ah, the luck of the Irish French.
Hey, we only work 35 hours a week, give half of our earnings to the government and take 8 weeks of vacation a year. How are we supposed to reach FIRE without a bit of luck?
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:36 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
May 07 - Peak
Mar 09 - Trough

I'm still accumulating and I am too lazy to do the math to subtract the ongoing DCA and reinvested cap gains and dividends.
The good news is I am slowly creeping up on the May 07 peak value...just a little bit more.
I also missed the part about NW. I only counted my investment portfolio, i.e assets. No debt, no mortgage...only liabilities are COL expenses and taxes. And I'm a-going to keep it that way.
I did not include my home. There was never a housing boom out here in da boondocks, so there would not be a bust either.
Status is FIREd, using 100% survivor pension for COL and 50-75% of fixed annuity income for ongoing portfolio building.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:36 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hey, we only work 35 hours a week, give half of our earnings to the government and take 8 weeks of vacation a year. How are we supposed to reach FIRE without a bit of luck?
If I had le lifestyle Francais, I wouldn't need to FIRE!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:37 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sweet!

Nothing beats dumb luck!

Audrey
Old 04-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #71
Full time employment: Posting here.

Low point was early 2008, reached a new peak this week.
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #72

Sorry I'm getting to this thread late, but I suggest including info about whether the poster is retired and draining their net worth, or working and adding to it. Makes it easier to do apples to apples comparisons. Even over a couple of years that can make a 10+% balance difference.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #73

I'm down about 20% from my all time high. I'm retired, renting, living off my net worth exclusively. I've been spending a bit more than the 4% I had intended, but that accounts for only a few percent of my net worth since the crash, and threads like this scare me feeling like I'm falling behind. I figured I'd post my results to show others who are underwater that they're not alone.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

I count only end of month numbers, PF is off slightly under 1% from highest point on 11/30/09, I consider that 1% a fluctuation rather than a concern; and significantly, I’ve been withdrawing at about 3.5% since 11/08, no new money has been added since I retired, 08/31/08. And more importantly to me, PF is approx. 4.9% above it’s value on the day I retired, 08/31/08. Is that keeping up with inflation?
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:07 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
My retirement savings are at an all time high, but I think that's because I'm still in the accumulation phase. I'm not sure how to calculate what my return has been over the last several years, because my contributions have varied over that time. Is there a plug-in-the-numbers spreadsheet somewhere that I can use to figure this out?

Anyway, I'm just glad my balance isn't dropping faster than the contributions come in as it was a little over a year ago. That was scary!

Also, this is my retirement accounts only. If I count my house, I might still be going backwards. I'm pretty sure housing prices here haven't recovered anywhere near as much as the market has. There are five brand-new townhouses just down the street from me. They were finished some months ago but last time I checked, only one had sold. It went for about as much as the high appraisal I got on my residence in 2006, but is larger and newer, suggesting that my home would now sell for many thousands of dollars less.
I got my investment return data from my brokerage account. I have been too lazy with keeping track of the data and wouldn't be able to figure it out otherwise. My networth is at an all time high. I rent a two bed room apartment and my only significant assets are my investments and my car.

During the crash I panicked at one point and put my money into bonds for about three months. I also changed funds/stocks a few times. I'm not sure how much this set me back. In hindsight I wish I had not messed with things at all. My AA has been around 80/20 through most of this. So it has been a wild ride. I am really happy to be back to 0% investment return.

I continued making monthly contributions throughout this. I also took my emergency cash down from 12 months to 3 months to put that money into stocks. I've gotten it back to 6 months worth now. Since states are now feeling the affect of the recession I want to get it back to 12 months of living expenses asap just to be safe.
ESRwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:41 PM   #76

For those not familiar with my holdings....I was and still am a bank stock guy....inherited it....so with that in mind....

My all time high is HERE $$$$$.....and my current postion is.....

it's coming.......

I know it's here somewhere.......

still way down HERE $ .....so no where near my all time high....although MUCH better than the March 2009 lows
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #77

Pre-crash peak: 5/2008. Crisis low (well, so far at least): March 9, 2009, down about 37% from peak. Currently at an all time high, including new funds, but still down from peak about 3% after adjusting for new funds. Decided to take the plunge and FIRE in March 2009 (retired May 2009), which was a bit scary to do given the market at the time. [One of these days I will get around to filling out a "Hi I am" entry. ]

I track my holdings daily (mixture of tax deferred mutual funds and non tax deferred equities accounts, TIPS, CDs, etc.)

Oh, by the way....is the existence of this thread an indicator that the market top is near?
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #78

I'm down 5.5% from my Oct of 07 high. Retired Dec of 06 but went back to work PT last May and have been letting the port grow and replacing some of my losses.
I feel a lot better now than I did last year at this time. As of this month I'm 1 year from SS at 62 which will also help out a bit. Almost ready to hang up my spurs again, I'm much better at doing nothing.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:39 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now View Post
Sorry I'm getting to this thread late, but I suggest including info about whether the poster is retired and draining their net worth, or working and adding to it. Makes it easier to do apples to apples comparisons. Even over a couple of years that can make a 10+% balance difference.
Agreed, which is why I qualified my remarks by stating that I *am* a bit higher now thanks to new contributions in the last 2.5 years, but if you ignored new contributions since October 2007 I suspect I'm still about 15% below that high watermark.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I suggest including info about whether the poster is retired
Yes I'm retired.
Quote:
and draining their net worth
Yes, I'm draining. (just ask my DH )
Quote:
or adding to it.
Stopped adding to it in February of last year.

My funds are at an all time high now. I have no debt and own my mortgage free home.