Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-04-2009, 06:13 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The trick is to start your day with four or five of these:

The Market Crash

and after a couple weeks, things don't look quite so bad.

(found at Drinks to Leave You Laid Back, Not Laid Out)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2009, 06:22 AM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

I'm holding on to the bronco. Even DCA'ing in through my 401K, though at a lower level than last year (shifted half to a guaranteed fund). It's not always easy to hold the line but I figure since I'm still working it's my last chance to add to the coffers; too bad the net amount goes down at the same time I'm adding to it.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:42 AM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I've always believed I would maintain my AA at 40/40/20 and stay in the market no matter what. However, retired for almost four years and relying on our nest egg for 100% of our expenses until this year (SS now accounts for 25%), this market is testing my resolve.

After an initial move to maintain my AA when the Dow dropped below 10,000, I've been unable/unwilling to buy more equities. Deer in the headlights syndrome.

If the current trend continues our expenses and market losses by the end of 09 will wither our nest egg to 50% of where it was when I retired. Don't think I will be able to watch that happen without making some attempt to reduce the bleeding.

I'd like to be able to say I'm optimistic the decline will end before I have to make that decision. Unfortunately the best word I can come up with is hopeful.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:53 AM   #84
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I've always believed I would maintain my AA at 40/40/20 and stay in the market no matter what. However, retired for almost four years and relying on our nest egg for 100% of our expenses until this year (SS now accounts for 25%), this market is testing my resolve.

l.

If I was still working I would absolutely ride this out but when you need the money to live it's kind of foolish to just let it evaporate .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:46 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've

If the current trend continues our expenses and market losses by the end of 09 will wither our nest egg to 50% of where it was when I retired. Don't think I will be able to watch that happen without making some attempt to reduce the bleeding.
I've heard several pundits who think we will get a market rally soon. Possibly significant. 'Hopefully' this will happen and give some of us a chance to trim our equities down a bit.

I've also heard that if mark-to-market accounting rules are suspended, that would have a big impact on the stock market. Below is an exchange from a reporter on the Nightly Business Report with Arthur Cashin,DIR from the NYSE. He's the old guy that CNBC and others always interview on the floor of the exchange.

Reporter: But some traders see one quick way for the market to find a bottom. The suspension of mark-to-market accounting rules, which require companies to value assets at the current market price, instead of what they could fetch down the road.
CASHIN: I suspect that if they were to announce something like that, then you would get a quick turn.
Reporter: How much do you think markets could rally?
CASHIN: That could, if it caught fire, given all the money on the sidelines and the big short positions, in a full blown rally, the S&P might go from 700 where it is now, almost all the way back to 1,000.

Nightly Business Report . Investors Ask ... Where's The Bottom? | PBS

I wonder if there is any chance the rule will be changed? I've heard people talk about this for months.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:52 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
I wonder if there is any chance the rule will be changed? I've heard people talk about this for months.
Hard to say. Suggest a suspension or elimination of mark-to-market and people will immediately respond, "Enron!"

On the other hand, mark-to-market accounting is prudent when the markets are orderly and liquid. This market is neither for the stuff some of these banks are carrying. Some of them are carrying fully performing assets that they have to "mark to market" at almost zero. In a dysfunctional market with little liquidity, this has the potential to lead to a death spiral for financial institutions whose balance sheets depend on how these assets are valued.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:01 AM   #87
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
A 50% loss on that portfolio allocation is pretty extreme. What are you expecting for the rest of the year?
Old 03-04-2009, 08:08 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Hard to say. Suggest a suspension or elimination of mark-to-market and people will immediately respond, "Enron!"

On the other hand, mark-to-market accounting is prudent when the markets are orderly and liquid. This market is neither for the stuff some of these banks are carrying. Some of them are carrying fully performing assets that they have to "mark to market" at almost zero. In a dysfunctional market with little liquidity, this has the potential to lead to a death spiral for financial institutions whose balance sheets depend on how these assets are valued.

Yeah, I agree. The "mark to market" appears to be a "catch 22". If they value assets high then the government will have to pay more to bail out the really bad banks. But there will seem to be less banks to bail out even though some of them will still be bad.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:14 AM   #89

Quote:

After an initial move to maintain my AA when the Dow dropped below 10,000, I've been unable/unwilling to buy more equities. Deer in the headlights syndrome.

I'd like to be able to say I'm optimistic the decline will end before I have to make that decision. Unfortunately the best word I can come up with is hopeful.
This is where I believe most of the "stocks are the asset of choice keep a high allocation stay diversified and your asset allocation of different classes will make you rich" is wrong. It is one thing to say in hindsight, it is quite another to do, where if wrong one will no longer have a retirement. It mismatches a fixed obligation - retirement - with an extremely volatile asset class and MPT has not eliminated as promised that volatility.

Blind faith to a high stock index based allocation is really just a technical analysis belief that the long term trend line will continue to go up. Times like this should present an individual with insight into what their true asset allocation should be.

The biggest gain an individual can achieve is to have funds available and the ability to make the required purchases on the way to the bottom, but the asset allocation needs to be comfortable enough to be able to handle the pain falling through a black untested hole provides.

It is entirely possible, though not necessarily probable the stock market could fall 90 percent. If that were to happen, it would be equivalent to enduring what has gone on over the past 15 months twice more! However it is at that bottom where the biggest gains will be made for the long term. A 25 percent allocation is right now equivalent in equity to a 50 percent allocation unbalanced from 2007.

My belief in planning for the long term is thinking, what X percentage stocks would I be buying knowing a decline similar to the 1930's would occur to rebalance to that level? For me I know I can hold 25% no matter how low the index goes. On the other hand I was willing to go to zero at the top since I though stocks were far too high (I sold my 25% stake early in 2007 and then after building back to a degree resold all in October of 2007) but my basic philosophy of holding at least 25% stocks will not be cut by any stock market decline, even if this market falls to 90% down, which would mean I would only have missed the first 1/3 of the fall.

At a 90 percent decline, a 25% stock allocation maintained will have 92 percent of the equity of a portfolio that was 100 percent stock at the top yet still hold 65% of the original portfolio in fixed instruments - assuming one does not draw down the equity or fixed for living and lives off the interest and dividends. The issue of whether or not a 25 percent stocks can withstand inflation is another question altogether, one I am fairly comfortable with myself. Also what do you do when you find your asset allocation is actually too high? That is really as Moemg is pointing out a truly difficult decision.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:18 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
I've heard several pundits who think we will get a market rally soon. Possibly significant. 'Hopefully' this will happen and give some of us a chance to trim our equities down a bit.
If we have a significant rally, there will be dancing in the streets.

To be honest, I don't expect a significant rally anytime soon, due to the worldwide and virtually all-encompassing nature of this recession. Sometimes I think the pundits don't know any more about where the market is going than I do (and my crystal ball is a complete dud). I never expected a recession of this magnitude in the first place. But then, neither did many of the pundits.

IF there is a significant rally, I don't intend to do much with my equities other than rebalance and tweak.

Right now, I am too chicken to buy or sell. I am just hanging on to this rollercoaster and waiting to see what transpires.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:41 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
The biggest gain an individual can achieve is to have funds available and the ability to make the required purchases on the way to the bottom...
...provided the individual has enough other sources of income and enough time to wait until the bottom is reached, and the recovery is of sufficient strength and speed to prevent total nest egg destruction. The latter two qualifiers mark the line between 'wise investor' and 'sad statistic'.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:45 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...provided the individual has enough other sources of income and enough time to wait until the bottom is reached, and the recovery is of sufficient strength and speed to prevent total nest egg destruction
Which goes back to what I've said many times before -- the unfortunate paradox is that the people who can most afford to take stock market risk are usually the ones who don't need to...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 03-04-2009, 09:28 AM   #93

Still mostly in cash , so I can sleep ok except for worry about coming inflation , but I'm riding the little left in my 401k , riding it all the way.

Just watch the first 30 seconds or so .
Old 03-04-2009, 10:08 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
riding it all the way.

Just watch the first 30 seconds or so .
Curiosity, watched the full clip.

When you get there.. there were to be those with "stimulating" characteristics.

Never seen the movie. Time to go rent it.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:11 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post

Never seen the movie. Time to go rent it.
It is a classic and one of my favorites. Slim Pickens is da bomb!
Old 03-04-2009, 10:21 AM   #96
Recycles dryer sheets

If Mr Market closes red today, I may not look at it again for a year.
Gpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:18 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Unfortunately the best word I can come up with is hopeful.
"Hope" - hey, the current guy in the Oval Office won an election based on this word. That's worth something.

And for the record, I have changed my permanent asset allocation from 80% stocks/20% bonds to 50% stocks/20% bonds.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:13 PM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpond View Post
If the market was open for another 15 minutes it would of went red. Futures are now under today's open.

Gpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpond View Post
It closed higher, but the last 30 minutes were another vicious selloff which indicates to me the trend is still VERY firmly bearish.

A market that's afraid to stay long at the close -- a market that regularly sells off just before the close -- is a market that isn't likely to sustain a rally.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

God blessed oil equities today, which means that He blessed me to.

Hallelujah! Hallelujah!

Ha