Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-28-2009, 02:47 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
For those of you who are ahead of your original retirement portfolio, did you inflation adjust the numbers?

After inflation adjusting my Apr 2003 retirement, we are -14% below the starting portfolio. At the end of 2007 we were +19% ahead. If that number gets as positive as 2007 again, it will be a big signal to me to get more conservative.
Since Jan 1, 1993 the answer is no. Adjusted spending(sometimes aggresively) based on portfolio value and other factors - sold some RE, some temp work, small non cola pension 1998, early SS 2005 and spent more post Katrina(2006) to resettle.

My goal posts nowadays are 5% variable to SEC yield of portfolio ballpark 3-5% range of total portfolio value.

Right now with Mr Market being a meany - running a tad over 4% SEC yield on portfolio.

And I'm under spending cause the weather sucks - and the trip list for summer hasn't been finalized yet.

heh heh heh - I wasn't called a 'cheap bastard' in the early days of ER for nothing. 16 years into retirement - I'm a little more relaxed, confident and less er ah 'frugal?'
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2009, 05:45 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am "all in" ... the low needs to be tested (that will be hard to watch). But as I said I am "all in".
Old 03-29-2009, 04:47 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Only until get back to Even, then Rebalance and Go from a 60/40 mix to a 20/80 mix
But, If we have another " Carter Yrs of Very High -30 Yr Long Term Treasuries"?
I will sell everything and buy them at my nearest Fed. Res. Bank..
Might even Max out my Credit cards and Get a Mort. on my paid For Home if I can.

As you can guess, Retired and Hoping for Hyper Inflation..Berneke will go after it Like a Duck On a June Bug..

Imagine 10-12% 30 yr LT Treas.....mmmmmmmm Droollling..
It would sure help Seniors and Rebuild The Fla. Real Estate Condo Business!
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:35 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
As you can guess, Retired and Hoping for Hyper Inflation..
This is a baffling wish that I think retirees would severely regret experiencing. But with a little bit of luck, it hopefully won't come to pass.
Grep is offline   Reply With Quote