Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #201
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I guess I may keep working part-time a bit longer.
Fine with me, as long as you are paying into SS and Medicare. I'm enjoying every single lovely minute of retirement, whether the market is up, down, or sideways.

But then, I have no desire to own two houses, an RV, or whatever. We each pursue what it takes for us to be happy. Everyone knows what we girls want...

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #202
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Heck, what's another year of enjoyable work? I may just go until I drop...

And then, the RV is an escape pod, in case things get real, real bad. People without one would be living in their cars.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #203
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Heck, what's another year of enjoyable work?
One less year of enjoyable retirement.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #204
Give me a forum ...

ESR : Half-n-half. Best of both worlds.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #205
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Quote:
And while you two quibble about it, I'm having more fun than Cyndi Lauper in that video.... fun is free, for the most part. Time is what costs so much.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #206
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Definitely.

When we are children, we are conditioned to be told by our parents about what to do and are dependent on them for support.

Then we head off into grade schools and have teachers that determine what will be judged to be success.

Off into college (maybe), and we have professors and advisors to determine what/how we do.

Finally into the working world, and we have employers/bosses who call the shots and we are really dependent on them for income.

The best letter in FIRE is "I", for "independent". By that point, hopefully no one is telling you what to do! If you go halfway... well, you're still only halfway.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #207
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
If you go halfway... well, you're still only halfway.
One may want to be halfway. Life is not binary. Things in life are not binary.

I also have the choice of work I want to do.

Stocks or bonds? Psst Wellesley...

PS. Mispoke! Life IS binary.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #208

Quote:
PS. Mispoke! Life IS binary.
Indeed it is. That may be one reason why many want to fully retire early.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #209
Recycles dryer sheets

+4.3%
Old 01-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #210
Give me a forum ...

Ended up 2011 -1.3% before taxes and a very small withdrawal.

Yes, I own foreign equities. I already rebalanced the portfolio to buy more international stocks.

Audrey
Old 01-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #211
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Ended up 2011 -1.3% before taxes and a very small withdrawal.

Yes, I own foreign equities. I already rebalanced the portfolio to buy more international stocks.

Audrey
Audrey , I always admire your knowledge so may I ask " Why are you buying international stocks while Europe is so shaky " ? I have been shying away from them due to the instability .
Old 01-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #212
Confused about dryer sheets

Up 3.2% overall. (down from 13.9% last year.)

Up 2% on S&P 500 funds
Down 13.7% on International funds
Down 3.9% on Small Caps
Up 7.8% on GNMA funds
Up 7.9% on other Bond funds

Here's to a better 2012!
Old 01-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #213
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Audrey , I always admire your knowledge so may I ask " Why are you buying international stocks while Europe is so shaky " ? I have been shying away from them due to the instability .
Because I always end up buying some of what has gone down the most the year before - that's the spirit of rebalancing. Maintaining a fixed AA forces you to buy low and sell high which inevitably means some money goes to things that look "shaky" in the short term, and money comes out of some assets that look "safe".

I don't really care if Europe is shaky for the next year or so. My portfolio is designed to last for decades, so in the long run it should pay off.

And my international funds don't only invest in Europe, they invest all over the world. Europe is just a part.

Finally, by the time Europe looks "safe" for investors, the fund shares will already have risen to reflect that. At that point, my fixed AA will probably force me to trim a little from that asset class.

I never expect stability in my individual asset classes. That's why I maintain a well diversified AA, because while individual asset classes may be quite volatile, the sum total tends to be much less volatile.

Audrey
Old 01-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #214

Quote:
This was okay for some of the 7 years I worked part-time. But eventually, the awful commute outweighed the free midweek time so ESR became ER.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #215
Give me a forum ...

While European stocks might be in my international funds, my own picked stocks and ETFs are in other countries, such as Canada and Australia. I like to spread my money around, and last I looked, they have a lower unemployment than that of the US.

Quote:
...And my international funds don't only invest in Europe, they invest all over the world. Europe is just a part.

Finally, by the time Europe looks "safe" for investors, the fund shares will already have risen to reflect that. At that point, my fixed AA will probably force me to trim a little from that asset class.
Quote:
I never expect stability in my individual asset classes. That's why I maintain a well diversified AA, because while individual asset classes may be quite volatile, the sum total tends to be much less volatile.
As explained elsewhere, by holding some individual stocks or sectored ETFs, I could see their individual price movements. I thought that was interesting, whether I traded on that info or not. And hopefully, I may be able to buy low sell high rebalance with the observation and make good money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
This was okay for some of the 7 years I worked part-time. But eventually, the awful commute outweighed the free midweek time so ESR became ER.
I am fortunate that my work is like a hobby, except that they pay me well to do it. The last short-term project I just finished, they also gave me a generous budget to buy whatever parts I needed. Being a frugal guy, I spent only 1/5 of that to get the job done. Waiting now for them to ask me for a follow-up of that project. Life (and fun work) is great!
Old 01-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #216
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Because I always end up buying some of what has gone down the most the year before - that's the spirit of rebalancing. Maintaining a fixed AA forces you to buy low and sell high which inevitably means some money goes to things that look "shaky" in the short term, and money comes out of some assets that look "safe".

I don't really care if Europe is shaky for the next year or so. My portfolio is designed to last for decades, so in the long run it should pay off.

And my international funds don't only invest in Europe, they invest all over the world. Europe is just a part.

Audrey
Well put Audrey. Those who are shying away from Europe right now are:

1) Making a sector bet

and

2) Likely to get back in when things look less shaky - just as you and I are reducing our Europe weight back to our planned allocation during our next rebalancing. (After the price run up!)

Audrey has it right - pick an Asset Allocation and stick with it through thick and thin. No one is smarter than Mr Market.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #217
Recycles dryer sheets

I miscalculated (forgot to include December) turns out my return was 4.4%
Old 01-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #218

3.44 % according to Quicken
Old 01-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #219
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
And who'da thunk. But it turned out that my international funds were the top performers in 2012. Especially OAKIX, which has the most exposure in Europe and Japan and blew away all the other funds with a 29%+ 2012 return.

Actually, OAKIX wasn't my best performing fund in 2012. TAREX, a REIT with mostly international holdings managed a 36%+ return for 2012.

Funny how things often turn out that way.....[although sometimes it takes a few years for a turnaround].
Old 01-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #220
Recycles dryer sheets

+19.5%

got lucky with some dirty market timing