Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-10-2011, 08:59 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

AA 35/65 +3.62% YTD. CDs are part of my cash reserve and not included in AA.
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2011, 09:01 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
NWB-

You're RE and in the enviable position of working part time only when you choose to. I call that a WIN in any book.
Thanks!

But I am very greedy and hate to lose money in the market. I do not have as much problem buying low, as I have in selling high. When I was in the accumulation phase when working full-time, I just did the "buy, buy, buy" when the market was low. But now, I must learn to time the market rebalance more systematically, or able to conquer greed. It might be easiest to just let Wellesley do it.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:07 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

3.9% ytd
Old 12-10-2011, 09:10 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Including everything in our portfolio (stocks, bonds, CDs, money market funds, mutual funds, precious metals):

+8.3% YTD using the XIRR method.
+7.6% YTD using: (interests+dividends+realized gains+unrealized gains YTD)/value of portfolio on 01/01/2011.

I was roughly 30-35% equities all year. TIPS were very good to me this year.

Note: I don't consider checking and savings accounts part of my retirement portfolio, and they are not included in the calculation.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:16 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

After withdrawals I'm still up slightly, thanks in no small part to having 40+% in Wellesley, which is up 7.8% YTD. Psst...
Old 12-10-2011, 09:18 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Some are referring to their Net Worth, but the OP is talking performance (net of withdraws and contributions).

Also, as the song goes, "Compared to What?".

Looking at Yahoo adj prices, I get:

Code:
SPY                  +1.69%
VBTLX Tot Bond Fund  +6.5%
VWIAX (pssssst)      +7.84%
I'm heavily weighted Equities, and Junk (which I count as 1/2 Equities), and my main accounts (didn't add up some of the small ones), is 1.67%, just a shade under the SPY.

My options trades did not work to my advantage this year - the caps on gains exceeded the premiums received, but very close to break even on that. Better luck next year?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:21 AM   #27
Gone but not forgotten

My portfolio is up 4.6% as of today .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
My "1 yr" return is substantially higher than my 2011 YTD return, as is likely for most folks, due to the run-up at the end of last year.
Yep that's true, I was using Vanguards tools and they don't have YTD numbers. Also I included my after tax account and there's been a lot of activity in that to pay down the mortgage. For just the retirement portion I'm at +7.2% for one year and if I take YTD returns over beginning balance I'm at +5.4%. Thank you Wellesley.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Equities (70%) down 3.5%................Cash/bonds (30%) about flat.

I diverted some cash into my little used car lot however, and that's doing well!
Old 12-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #30

YTD, up a little over 5% which is enough to make me feel pretty good. I've beaten the S&P 500 total return for seven years in a row now, so I guess I'm doing something right. About 70% equities.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

What I meant was to ask about the portfolio performance, with any withdrawal or addition accounted or compensated for, but did not know the exact way to phrase it. But ERD50 understood me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Some are referring to their Net Worth, but the OP is talking performance (net of withdraws and contributions).
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Including everything in our portfolio (stocks, bonds, CDs, money market funds, mutual funds, precious metals):

+8.3% YTD using the XIRR method.
+7.6% YTD using: (interests+dividends+realized gains+unrealized gains YTD)/value of portfolio on 01/01/2011.
Good for you!

With all that gain, if you need to diversify away from foie gras and truffle, I just found out that one can mail order a 8-lb jamon iberico for a bit more than $1200. Something for you to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
Equities (70%) down 3.5%................Cash/bonds (30%) about flat.
Hey, thanks for posting!

Quote:
I diverted some cash into my little used car lot however, and that's doing well!
Aren't you glad you have some other activities to bring in some revenue? It's the same here.

Anyone else in the red? Please be manly and speak up. Don't be shy!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Overall, about .51 percent for the year. I am in the process of making my portfolio less aggressive, so I've starting buying short term bonds, dividend paying stocks, and have put a significant amount into MITXF.
MDJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #33
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm -6% YTD.

100% equities. US portion of portfolio is flat. Hurt by non-us which is -13% YTD.

2011: -6% (YTD)
2010: +18%
2009: +34%
2008: -45%
2007: -3%
2006: +23%
2005: +14%
2004: +19%
2003: +41%
2002: -18%
2001: -4%

T
Tif7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:17 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

My portfolio is up by 3.2% YTD, before retirement withdrawals.

After 9 months of ER withdrawals, it is essentially flat, which is not good, but acceptable given the upheavals of this year.

I was heavy in corporate bonds, bought in 2008, so the bonds are providing me with steady income. Equities did not do well this year, unfortunately.

May divert some to Wellesley, as I read here that many of you have done well in that fund.
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #35
Administrator

IRR ytd is 5.26% and that takes into account the withdrawals and deposits throughout the year. AA is currently 32/64/4, invested mostly in Wellesley and target retirement funds, with a chunk in I-Bonds and a decreasing amount in CD's. (The last CD matures later this month).
Old 12-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #36
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Our portfolio is up 4.7% so far. At least our withdrawal is covered this year.
+1. 38% equities, 42% bonds and 20% cash/cd's.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
What I meant was to ask about the portfolio performance, with any withdrawal or addition accounted or compensated for, but did not know the exact way to phrase it. But ERD50 understood me.

!
I periodically run a balance sheet and separate financial assets from my couple of pieces of real estate and any mortgages associated them.
Figuring performance for my retirement accounts is easy since I am not withdrawing from them.

It is tougher to figure my performance for my non retirement accounts. I do have a fixed transfer from brokerage accounts to my checking account each month. But I have say I don't keep careful track of my actual spending and it isn't uncommon for me to move money back and forth from
checking to brokerage accounts. At the end of the year maybe I'll try and reconcile my cash flows.

One question I have all of you with real estate is how do you keep track of the performance of real estate. This year I bought a condo in Vegas. The purchase price I include in my financial performance. Sadly the damn thing isn't rented, so the $250/month expense I lumped in with my living expenses. Which I know is wrong.

At some point it will be rented and generating positive cash flow. These cash flows will then been invested first in financial instruments and then perhaps later in real estate. I am curious how to people separate these classes out for tracking investment returns.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

My Fidelity 401K reports a YTD gain of 0.4%. The sad thing is that this easily beats a money market fund.

Like many others, this has been dragged down considerably by international equity funds.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Wellesley for you too, ziggy? :-)

Seriously, I did not do a lot of trading this year, and as I have weathered the storm up to this point, I am going to hold what I have for a while longer. My stocks are good companies, but they are more economic sensitive (high beta), hence got beaten down worse than the market. I am not going to change horse midstream now.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

My 401K YTD is 6.9%...bought/sold VGTSX, VIGRX, VMGRX while mkt was flip-flopping. Held PTTRX and Stable Value

IRA is -8.2%.....all stocks(they'll recove some time)
heirloom is offline   Reply With Quote