Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Given the volatility your return could change +/- 10% by year end.

My 401k is down (probably mostly due to international exposure), my conservative VG is up. Given the problems we've had this year, I consider that good.
TJ
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2011, 02:05 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
Given the volatility your return could change +/- 10% by year end.
Yeah, today isn't helping. I thought those Euros solved the world's problems last week.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
And I thank you for not taking offense at my adjective of "manly", which might be construed as sexist. I do remember that you are the one making investment decisions rather than your husband, in addition to being the RV driver. Darn, my memory is GOOD!
Yes, your memory IS good! And I tend to gloss over adjectives like "manly" anyway - LOL!

Audrey
Old 12-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Yeah, today isn't helping. I thought those Euros solved the world's problems last week.
Don't worry the Euros will solve the problem tomorrow and the market will rally, until more problems with their solution will arise and the cycle will repeat.

The market this year is like a NBA game, just turn on the last 2 minutes (2 day) to see if you won or lost.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:11 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Euros is not going to be solved anytime soon. It's like watching an accident in slow motion. The moment market sees that Euros looks like veering away from the light pole, market goes up irrationally. Then sees that car is headed toward guardrail, then market goes down irrationally. In other words, market keep on reacting on perception of Euros until it comes to screeching halt. IMO, we'll continue this roller coaster until either Euros dissolved or wealthier Euro nations willing to share the burden of lesser nations debt. I only look at my 401k and IRA on Dec. 31 and do the AA on Jan. 1 of every year. But do dabble on individual stocks from time to time with my beer and womanizing money that I save on the side called Dirty Old Man Pleasure Fun (Pun intended)
The time to take counsel of your fears is before you make an important battle decision. That’s the time to listen to every fear you can imagine! When you have collected all the facts and fears and made your decision, turn off all your fears and go ahead! – General George S. Patton
Sandhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:24 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

OK...I'll play...

2007 - 18.5
2008 - (34.3)
2009 - 36.5
2010 - 16.9
2011 - (2.4)

That looks like a wild ride to me
Old 12-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #67

I'm stunned so many of you track these numbers so closely. I look at individual holdings to check their performance, but calculatng the total % return across all portfolio assets after allowing for all contribs and withdrawals feels too much like w*rk!
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #68

about - 3.5%, mainly index funds

real estate about +16%, not factoring in drop of real estate value, not planning to sell

67% investments / 33% real estate
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:51 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
I'm stunned so many of you track these numbers so closely. I look at individual holdings to check their performance, but calculatng the total % return across all portfolio assets after allowing for all contribs and withdrawals feels too much like w*rk!
For me it's just 1 button click in Quicken. And it takes care of contribs and withdrawals too.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:37 AM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Since my withdrawals are usually de minimis, I regard them as gravy and generally ignore them when checking portfolio returns.
The effort involved seems well spent since it's considerably less than that expended when I was employed, is about as rewarding as the compensation from my former employer and exclusively for my benefit as opposed to being largely for my employer's benefit.
justplainbll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:30 AM   #71

Quote:
Both VG and FIDO web sites give you this number.
TJ
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #72

As of yesterday's close (12/12/11), I'm just about flat. Down maybe 0.3%. Just about all of my mutual funds are down. My two bright spots are my Scottrade account, and an old 401k I have from my days with Boeing.

The Scottrade account, which has mainly individual stocks in it, plus two REITs and a gold fund, is up about 20%. The Boeing 401k is up around 13%, thanks partly to a bit of market timing, frequent rebalancing, or whatever you want to call it. It has just two components, Boeing common stock and a bond fund. Stock goes up enough and I move some to the bond fund. Stock goes down, and I buy some back.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:43 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
For me it is just a couple clicks in Quicken.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

A lot less painful and more rewarding than Federal Income Tax preparation.
justplainbll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:52 PM   #75

I'm up about 9% YTD, although I'll admit I lucked out. Due to the fast runup in Q2/early Q3, I pulled 70% of my portfolio out of the market on July 21st, and then put about 50% back in on August 18th...which turned out to be excellent timing. Part of the reason for the 70% removal was a simple asset allocation move...but given the run-up I took out a lot more than I normally would have.

Given that I'm only about 3 years away from some sort of "change" (hard to define yet what that will look like), I'm slowly dialing back the equity exposure.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #76
Confused about dryer sheets

up about 0.9%
PackingBags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:34 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Sadly down about 4%. Targeted mix is 30% foreign, 35% large cap, 20% mid/small, and 15% bonds. In reality, the funds I hold have more bonds and cash than my targets. Foreign took a beating; DODFX is down about 16% YTD!

Fortunately (or unfortunately) I'll be working for another 10 years, so still have some time to grow the portfolio. Perhaps I should target 20% bonds and cut back foreign to 25%
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #78

According to VG,, my IRR thru 11/30/11 is +6.2%. Haven't taken any withdrawals this year, nor added any "new" money beyond reinvesting of capital gains/dividends.

No complaints given the roller coaster market!
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:50 PM   #79

I am down about -8% ytd. Ouch. I will know better more accurately at years end.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Wow! Someone who's hurting more than I am. Amazing. Care to share your "method"?

As mentioned earlier, I was down because of concentration in foreign stocks, either in MF or individual shares, basic material companies in mining, energy, and finally semiconductors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
I'm up about 9% YTD, although I'll admit I lucked out...
Eh, good luck or bad luck, a win is still a win, and my loss is still a loss.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote