How has your portfolio done in 2011?

-.48% for an 80/20 Portfolio
Still have 2 bond/tips funds to pay dividends early next week, so I should be at a breakeven for the year if the market doesn't move too much the last few days

45/40/15 Equity/Bond/Cash +1.5% w/ 4 days to go. Oh well next week is another year.

Last edited:
This year I rolled 401K into IRA in April so my calculations by FIDO aren't accurate for YTD. I also worked 3 months into this year and deposited $$ into 401K and Non-qualified account and haven't received these records yet. What I do know at this time is that my accounts minus deposits are (today) up approximately 6% higher than they were on January 1st.
On October 3rd, accounts were equal to January 1st amount and It has come back that much since then. Thank goodness!
But hey, the year isn't over yet. :cool:.......or......:facepalm:. Which will it be?

+0.62% YTD as of today; slightly below the +0.77% YTD when this thread first started.

+1.08% for the last 12 months.

For 3 years (12/27/08 - 12/26/11) +12.0% :dance:

For 5 years (12/27/06 - 12/26/11) is +0.82%

I tend to look at the longer time horizons rather than any single year. I'm not ecstatic but I am happy that I didn't sell in 08 when the stuff was hitting the fan and sit out the rally like some friends did.

Last edited:
I made out pretty good with dividend stocks like DUK, PFE, MO bringing up those CDs.

Have been heavily over weighted in cash (some pretty good CD rates initiated before the interest rate scene fell apart,) so did OK. Up about 4.2% overall for the year.

Just for grins, I just ran an average on everyone who has provided an overall YTD number so far, and it's +2.66%.

Considering the incredible volatility this year, that's not too shabby!

2.37% ytd for me, I'm satisfied considering my cash position (MM) is on the high side and has been for most of the year. I'm just as concerned going into 2012 and will most likely continue to hold a high cash position. I have yet another CD terminating in Feb, and only one decent yielding one remaining after that:facepalm:

It's hard for me to tell exactly, like to anything closer than a percent, due to periodic additions & withdrawals. Within that error range, 0%.

11.3 % for the Permanent Portfolio so no complaints. More interesting is where the returns came from (25% allocation to each fund):

VTI (Vanguard Total Stock Mkt) 0.93%
GLD (Spyder Gold ETF) 9.57%
SHY (iShares short term treasuries) 1.29%
TLT (iShares 20 yr. + treasuries) 33.56%

11.3 % for the Permanent Portfolio so no complaints. More interesting is where the returns came from (25% allocation to each fund):

VTI (Vanguard Total Stock Mkt) 0.93%
GLD (Spyder Gold ETF) 9.57%
SHY (iShares short term treasuries) 1.29%
TLT (iShares 20 yr. + treasuries) 33.56%

Another very good year for the Permanent Portfolio.

That's a nice return for the ETF Permanent Portfolio! Are there any reliable long-term comparisons of an ETF approach vs. the PRPFX fund?

If the difference is not substantial, I'll probably stay lazy :)

Still the same as I reported earlier: down 4.5% this year, plus 0.5% withdrawal for a total down of 5%.

Earlier this year, around May time, I was up 8%. Then, all hell broke loose! The difference of 12.5% then and now means quite a few years of living expenses. Easy comes easy goes, as they say.

Can't say I would do anything different if, instead of RV boondocking, I stayed home, glued to the TV watching CNBC or the congressional debacle.

Stay the course... Revenge will be mine in 2012.

-6.1% Losses were predominantly attributable to positions in international equities and basic materials (mostly steel). I am hopeful for a better 2012.

-4.58% for the year. Hopefully next year will be better for internationals...

After withdrawals, up 4.3% for the year. No complaints considering my conservative overall mix. My biggest stock winner this year was MCD. Bought early in the year and it closed up almost 36%. Too bad I didn't buy a crap load of it.:(

Final for 2011 : +13.8% IRR, -3.2% withdrawals, +10.6% change in balance for 100% equity portfolio (mid-large cap, US based with lots of international exposure, dividend paying)

Up 6.87%. All dividends reinvested - don't start withdrawals for 2 more years. 45% Wellesley, 45% Vanguard Retirement Income, 10% short-term bonds and CD's. Overall I'm pleased with results especially considering the international stock portion was down around 14%.

Back
Top Bottom