Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-02-2012, 07:54 AM   #141
Recycles dryer sheets

Final numbers... +1.6% includes small withdrawl.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Final number: +8.85% XIRR, about 30-35% stocks, no withdrawals.

Best investment: LOW (+35% since I bought it in 08/11/2011)
Worst investment: DW's company stock (-56% for the year)

US stocks: +16.7%
International stocks: -7.9%
TIPS:+52%
Nominal, taxable bonds:+3.64% (return was dragged down by PIMCO total return fund - the only bond option in DW's 401K)
Munis:+9.70%
CDs:+4.5%
I-bonds: +1.57%
Cash: +0.03%
Morningstar shows PTRAX to be +3.91% for the year. How could that drag your bond returns down to 3.64%?

Old 01-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #143
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Morningstar shows PTRAX to be +3.91% for the year. How could that drag your bond returns down to 3.64%?
The Morningstar number is meaningless for those of us who added to/withdrew from the fund throughout the year.

2011 XIRR for PTRAX was 3.01% for me.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #144
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post
a paltry 1.9%
but robust compared to my more paltry 0.9% for 2011.

Fixed income 4.44%; Domestic equities 2.41%; International equities -16.68% and a 40%/48%/12% target AA

3 year (2009-2011): 11.26%
5 year (2007-2011: 0.86%
10 year (2002-2011): 3.44%

All are IRRs so essentially average annual total returns after factoring in additional investments and withdrawals from Quicken investment performance report. I've been more attentive to AA more recently so some of the longer periods also reflect AA inattentiveness.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #145
Give me a forum ...

2.6%, but who's counting...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #146
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm up a whopping 12.2% this year from my portfolio which consists of about 75% dividend stocks. Actually, this number would be closer to 20% if I had followed my gut and moved more money out of equities just before the debt ceiling debacle in the Spring. As it turned out, because of discussions on this board, I was jolted back to reality and only did some minor tweaking. All of the comments I got on this board about my plans to temporarily flee to safety were theoretically accurate and I was compelled to yield to the academics. But boy did it hurt in lost opportunities!!
Old 01-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #147
Recycles dryer sheets

+1.3% on 60% bonds/40% stock allocation
Old 01-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #148
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredtoQuit View Post
Actually, this number would be closer to 20% if I had followed my gut and moved more money out of equities just before the debt ceiling debacle in the Spring. As it turned out, because of discussions on this board, I was jolted back to reality and only did some minor tweaking. All of the comments I got on this board about my plans to temporarily flee to safety were theoretically accurate and I was compelled to yield to the academics. But boy did it hurt in lost opportunities!!
If you are going to throw us under the bus when we're 'wrong' don't forget to give us due credit when we're 'right'...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
2.6%, but who's counting...
You. Not I.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Up 4.3% after withdrawal and still complaining!

I do not own MCD, nor follow it, but have held BMY (Bristol-Myers) which pays even better dividends. Just now compare the two, and they tracked fairly well over last year. In fact, they also tracked well over 3 years, but not over last 5 years. BMY has higher volatilities, however.

This is not the first time I have observed some strangely strong correlation between two stocks of completely different industries, over some particular periods of time. Pure coincidence, or are there some underlying reasons? Could it be simply that investors flocked to dividend stocks of any kind? Both currently boast higher P/E than the S&P as the whole. Hmm... May have to pull trigger on this BMY thing...

In any event, I certainly do not have enough of BMY, hence my poor performance for 2011.
Were never happy.

Wow, BMY up 33% this year. I own ABT and although it had a nice return, not that good. Oh well..........
Old 01-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #151
Dryer sheet wannabe

2.19% on government Thrift Savings Plan (L Income fund that is very conservatively invested).
Old 01-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #152
Recycles dryer sheets

If you are going to throw us under the bus when we're 'wrong' don't forget to give us due credit when we're 'right'...

But you guys weren't wrong! And that's why I had to yield! Anything else is a woulda, coulda, shoulda!
Old 01-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #153
Give me a forum ...

When it comes to investing, I don't care about RIGHT or WRONG! I just want more MONEY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Wow, BMY up 33% this year. I own ABT and although it had a nice return, not that good. Oh well..........
Almost sold BMY this year, because its prospects were not really that good, according to some research reports that I read. I was about to pull trigger on it mid-year, but then got side-tracked by other larger positions that were spiraling down.

Ended up not selling nor buying much, other than a bitty bit of a gold-short fund (GLL) that got me 30%+. Of course, did not have enough of that also.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:03 AM   #154
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tif7 View Post
Final number: -6.5%.

Not making any withdraws. Almost all of the loss is non-us investments which were -14.6%.
Down 6.9% for the year. For the same reason - half the portfolio is in international investments which had double digit losses in 2011. And my US investments were weighted to sectors that for the most part underperformed the S&P 500. 100% equities as well, so relative outperformance of bonds didn't help me a bit!

Of course these negative results aren't so bad after coming off of 2 years of great results in 2009 and 2010 (37% and 19% respectively). With my portfolio set up the way it is, frequent non-correlation to broad US markets is to be expected.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #155
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Wow, BMY up 33% this year. I own ABT and although it had a nice return, not that good.
Here's another dividend paying stock I have that did well: CAG (ConAgra) with 3.6% yield. Its chart for 2011 overlays that of ABT (3.4% div) very nicely.

See what I said about 2011 being the year of the dividend stocks? For those who care, what's your bet that this trend will continue?
Old 01-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #156
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

After a tough year in international funds I have to throw another 50K at it this week, wish me luck.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Good Luck!

I need it too!
Old 01-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #158
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Here's another dividend paying stock I have that did well: CAG (ConAgra) with 3.6% yield. Its chart for 2011 overlays that of ABT (3.4% div) very nicely.

See what I said about 2011 being the year of the dividend stocks? For those who care, what's your bet that this trend will continue?
Me? I have no clue. I'm planning to hold on to what dividend stocks I have as I need the income. Plus as my cd's mature, I'm earning less and less with those.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #159
gone traveling

While I place little value in annual returns, since it is the subject of this thread and I just updated my spreadsheets (DW/me) for our VG holdings, which have been buy/hold over decades, here's the results:

Me - +10.62
DW - +3.46

That shows the "gender difference" in investing/risk between DW and the "fairer sex" (me, of course ).

While I'm willing to take a bit of a gamble since I know I have more than enough for retirement, DW is still in her conserative ways (that's why she is still wor*ing, even though she planned to retire when I did, a bit over 4.5 years ago).

Top two (for both of us) was VGHCX (Health Care) at +11.45 YTD. We've had this fund for decades, and although it's a sector fund, it is one of our base holdings.

That's followed up by (what else?) Pssst - Wellsley, at +9.74.

For us, it's not what happened in the short term of 12 months, but rather over a significant amount of time.

While we've both been with VG since 1982, I've only been tracking using Excel since 1990 (me), and 1991 (DW).

Our respecive XIRR returns for that 21/22 year measurement come out to +8.98 for me, and +7.84 for DW. That shows that for some years, my DW's conserative outlook and way of investing did not impact long term returns in a significant manner - at least in our case.

What does it all mean? I have no idea. But since the question was asked...

Also, note that this is just based upon a small portion of our retirement investment portfolio, held at VG for our respective TIRA, Roth, and non-deductable IRA's (from 1987 through 1997, which we will receive a future tax credit). The greater amount is in FIDO (for both DW/me, consisting of 401(k) and rollover IRA's), but since there was so much "flux" over many years and I use my FIDO rollover IRA to fund my retirement expenses (e.g. no pension, nor SS) it would be harder to calculate XIRR over time).

Let's just say that our current total retirement holding value slightly exceed the amount we had on my retirement date in early 2007 (and that's with me drawing my total retirement income from my investments for close to five years). That's the only metric that I truly measure.

I guess the plan is working...
Old 01-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Top two (for both of us) was VGHCX (Health Care) at +11.45 YTD. We've had this fund for decades, and although it's a sector fund, it is one of our base holdings.
My best MF is Schwab HealthCare SWHFX, up 11.53%, matching yours very closely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
While I place little value in annual returns...
What does it all mean? I have no idea. But since the question was asked...
All what we report here may change drastically tomorrow when the market opens (in my favor, I hope ).

Yes, what counts is the return in the long run...

But then, someone has said that only one thing is certain in the long run. We will be all .