Join Early Retirement Today

How has your portfolio done in 2011?
Old 12-10-2011, 12:49 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How has your portfolio done in 2011?

There are only a few trading days left in the year. So, I took a look at my portfolio and it did not look good. The indices are all in the green, yet I am still in the red (net of any addition/withdrawal). And I am not proud to share the number.

What hurts me are my bets on energy, basic material, and semiconductor industries. I only have 1% in Wellesley, and of course now wish it were 100%.

So, how about you?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2011, 01:06 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am at about +3.3% for the year. I am 100% in CDs, munis, or equivalent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
There are only a few trading days left in the year. So, I took a look at my portfolio and it did not look good. The indices are all in the green, yet I am still in the red (net of any addition/withdrawal). And I am not proud to share the number.

What hurts me are my bets on energy, basic material, and semiconductor industries. I only have 1% in Wellesley, and of course now wish it were 100%.

So, how about you?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:06 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

My retirement portfolio is up a rather anemic 2.7%. However, my non retirement portfolio is up a respectable 3.5% which includes living expenses ( 4+% of my taxable account), and greater than normal charitable contributions.

Overall up 1% for the year, plus a condo in Vegas, so it is hard to complain given a overall flat market.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:10 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

As of 12/02 I was down .82% but number of shares held was up about 2.6%
justplainbll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:04 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

As of 11/30, +.91% net of additions. Treading water is great exercise except when it comes to investing.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:18 AM   #6
Administrator

Our portfolio is up 4.7% so far. At least our withdrawal is covered this year.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:20 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Up a net of 2.4% YTD on all investment accounts. Up 11.2% on my rental properties when I add in mortgage pay down. Total around 3% with everything. However because I consolidated funds from TDAmeritrade and Fidelity and Schwab into Vanguard this year I will get hit with some tax gains that will probably take me back close to zero on the investments. The rentals will provide a small tax loss that may offset some of the gains. Overall a really bad tax year as I positioned myself for retirement. Should be in a much better position next year now that I have mostly index funds and most bonds in the non-taxable account. Overall not a very good year investment wise. A few more moves to make to have everything in one place, but will wait until 2012 to finalize them. Goal is to simplify and get ready for retirement in early 2012.
l2ridehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:04 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I count from before the withdrawal (i.e. I count the withdrawal as a loss during the year) and from that perspective I am essentially flat (down .3% but changing daily). If I compare today to the amount in the portfolio after the withdrawal I am up 2.3%. I am optimistic about the last couple of weeks of this calendar year now that the EU has solved all of it's problems.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:26 AM   #9

Did not do as well as it should have. Up about 3% as of now, mostly from CD's, bond funds and dividends. Equity side was "the drag". Had it not been for a couple of equity trades recommended by my broker I'd be up more. Maybe the equity side will fair better the last couple of weeks. Up higher than 3% if I count the additional deposits which I don't count when calculating performance.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:29 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

EU solved? I don't think so. Germany and France have agreed they need oversight of taxes and spending of the PIGS (Portugal, Italy, Greece and Spain), but the PIGS have only accepted it in principal. The first time Germany says to Greece, "raise your taxes or else", the entire agreement will fall apart. The PIGS will default and print their own money again and the EU along with the EU banking system will fail.
l2ridehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:38 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Just as I thought, I am trailing behind everyone, just based on the comparison of my "self-directed actively managed" portfolio to the indices. That hurts my pride, in addition to my pocket book.

By the way, Quicken shows that my withdrawal to cover expenses was around 0.5%, thanks to my part-time work. That makes my stock picking skill that much worse.

Earlier this year, when I got to a new personal highwater mark, I thought about selling a sizable portion and moving to Wellesley. Of course I wanted to ratchet it up a bit more (greed hurts me every time!) and delayed it. The market tanked while I was RV'ing in the boondocks, and the pols were fighting over the budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I am optimistic about the last couple of weeks of this calendar year now that the EU has solved all of it's problems.
It is my only hope. Still, I am significantly behind the indices that if I end up even, it's a miracle.

"Sometimes you win sometimes you lose...", just like the lyrics in some song. It still hurts when you lose.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:15 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I haven't checked in a couple weeks, but I only started my first investments (all mutual fund equities) around April (which was basically the high for the whole year) and have been around -10% (+/- 5%) the whole year as the markets yoyo'd.

My large drops are canadian equities and precious metals. Small gains in my US equities and international equities. The bonds that I had considered buying but didn't are up 6% in comparison...
RioIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:15 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

After subtracting new contributions (still working), we are about -1%. This is largely due to international indexes, and to a much smaller extent, small/midcap US.

I don't mind buying at discounted prices for now (not retired).
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:17 AM   #14

If the indices are in the green, then I'm in the green (less fees). And vice versa.

BTW, bless you for not writing indexes.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:22 AM   #15

return for one year is +6.2%. I'm 40/60 with a big chunk of Wellesley and dividend stocks. The intermediate investment grade bonds have done well, but total international index is off -12% YTD.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:22 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Fixed income has a 3.58% YTD (VG Total Bond, VG High-Yield Corp Bond & Harbor Bond).

Domestic equity is 2.36% (VG Total Stock) and international equity is -15.08% (VG Total International Stock) Loss in internationals has dragged total equity return down to -0.78%.

Total portfolio is an anemic +0.77%, but at least it is not a loss

All returns are annualized. Perhaps the next couple weeks will be kinder.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:26 AM   #17

Total portfolio is up 4.6% 2011 YTD. Surprisingly, my 401k is essentially neutral, while our Fidelity accounts are up ~9%. All was well until "the fall this Fall" but, I can't argue with being in the green in a year like this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
"Sometimes you win sometimes you lose...", just like the lyrics in some song. It still hurts when you lose.
NWB-

You're RE and in the enviable position of working part time only when you choose to. I call that a WIN in any book.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:27 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

My 401K is -.08% this year. My vanguard account was killed by my international stock index but at least Wellesley offset some of it (thanks Uncle Mick).

I made some stupid trades in my "discretionary" trading account during the year but have switched course, cut my losses and now am building a conservative dividend-focused portfolio which I'm happy with so far.

Overall it's essentially a wash.
FreqFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
return for one year is +6.2%. I'm 40/60 with a big chunk of Wellesley and dividend stocks. The intermediate investment grade bonds have done well, but total international index is off -12% YTD.
My "1 yr" return is substantially higher than my 2011 YTD return, as is likely for most folks, due to the run-up at the end of last year.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:49 AM   #20

CD's = 9.3% next year will be lower as we rolled into some 8-8.25% 3 year CD's.
Vacation Rentals = 15.33% , suffered this year as occupancy were under 60%.
Unrealized 6 year gain on R.E. 300%
Newly purchased "High jungle plantation" (banana's/organic coffee) I count as spending as it will be for the benefit of children and grandchildren.

Overall we were flat for the year after inflation (2.6%), Taxes (5% on passive income) , Spending.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote