How has your portfolio done in 2011?

5.49%. AA is 60/40 in index funds. Best return was in my 401k which is predominantly a bond index fund. Had an 8% return in that acct. It was dragged down by the Vanguard taxable which is VG total stock mkt index and an International index.

Overall happy with this since 18 months ago we were in Ameriprise clutches and didn't even know what AA meant! And I'm quite sure our return would have again been in negative territory due to fees.

Last edited:
Good question, NW-Bound.

I just checked. NAV down 2% this year. Remember, you do not lose until you sell. However, Vanguard tells me my investment return was +5.7% based on year-end value. THAT is the important number to me.

I also am heavily weighted in energy (15.1%) and international (~50%). No plans to change either.

No withdrawals and no contributions this year, so it is easy to calculate.

401K is up about 1.7% for the year. It's all stock (I'm in my 20's so don't mind the additional risk)
IRA is down quite a bit (15% or so, I didn't run the exact numbers), but largely due to the fact I took on some extra risk in Latin America and Financial Services stocks.

My taxable account is up 15% for the year, which is just 5 individual stocks I hold that have done very well in the second half of the year.

So, what is the up/down of the total?

OK, I will spill my beans. Down 4.5%, and that is the total over several accounts, his and her 401k and roll-overs IRAs, Roth, after-tax, I-bonds, money markets and what-have-you.

I just look at the Quicken's bottom line, which shows I am down 5% from January 1st, and since I tapped a 0.5% withdrawal, that means the return has been a negative 4.5%. All dividends paid through the year have already been included in that total, either captured automatically by Quicken, or entered manually like in the case of I-bonds.

Last edited:
Retired in 2008, keeping track of total portfolio results:

2008 -18.8%
2009 18%
2010 11.2%
2011 +2.23%YTD

NW-Bound said:
Aren't you glad you have some other activities to bring in some revenue? It's the same here.

Anyone else in the red? Please be manly and speak up. Don't be shy!

Frankly, if it was not for the car lot I would be flat freaking out. I really hate the idea of pulling money out of the portfolio when it's shrinking or flat, and all the market uncertainty is one reason why I started the little lot-- kind of like insurance against a long, Japanese-like lost decade (or more?) going forward.

The other reason was I got a little bored.............

Anyone else in the red? Please be manly and speak up. Don't be shy!
Here, just for you! My retirement portfolio is down 1.2% YTD. I think I hold a slightly higher equity allocation than many, as my target is 54%, which includes a decent international exposure. Feel better?

I'm actually quite happy with this as thought it was going to be worse. And I have had much worse years during the last decade so given the craziness and volatility this year, I feel pretty good.

Another perspective - my retirement fund was up 12.5% last year. Maybe that's why I still feel pretty good!

I don't need to withdraw from the fund next year as I beefed up my short term cash reserves in early 2010. The funny thing is that I also played a risky bet with the short term cash and put a big chunk in long term muni bonds end of Q1 2010. That portion of the cash is up 9.5% since then and most of it tax free dividends!!! So that tends to ameliorate any disappointment about my longer term investments.

Had no idea Wellesley had done THAT well this year! Kudos to the Wellesley holders.

Audrey

Down 2.4% with a 60/40 allocation and 20% International.

My employer switched 401k providers in July which had the unintended effect of causing me to rebalance my IRA in order to keep my total investments in line.

Milkman

I have been a bit busy with [-]work,[/-][-] no, portfolio-depletion avoidance[/-], revenue-generating activities, and am just now taking a break to log in.

Frankly, if it was not for the car lot I would be flat freaking out. I really hate the idea of pulling money out of the portfolio when it's shrinking or flat, and all the market uncertainty is one reason why I started the little lot-- kind of like insurance against a long, Japanese-like lost decade (or more?) going forward.

The other reason was I got a little bored.............

Yes, it is nice not having to sell low to buy food, although I am nowhere as worried as previous years. Haven't we been through worse, much worse? It just bothers me when I trail the market and most people here, particularly when I picked my own stocks.

Compared to you, I am less worried with my children already grown, and myself being closer to SS and Medicare eligibilities. Darn! Since when is getting old a nice thing?

And looking at your signature (new, I think), I saw that your wife does not work. I thought she was a school teacher, no? And ain't nothing wrong with doing what should be so easy for you, and generating some good money too.

Here, just for you! My retirement portfolio is down 1.2% YTD. I think I hold a slightly higher equity allocation than many, as my target is 54%, which includes a decent international exposure. Feel better?

I appreciate your post, though mine would make you happier than yours me.

And I thank you for not taking offense at my adjective of "manly", which might be construed as sexist. I do remember that you are the one making investment decisions rather than your husband, in addition to being the RV driver. Darn, my memory is GOOD!

Anyway, from 2000 to 2003, I was down 40%, then rebounded with money to spare. Currently, 47% in individual stocks, 21% in equity MFs, for a total of 68% equities. Many of the stocks I have now are of large cap foreign natural resource types, hence got hurt by the world-wide economic slowdown. Ditto for my beloved semiconductors.

Me scared? Nah! I could lose a lot more, and still have plenty of money left to fill up my RV to head down to Mexico to join some Canadian RV'ers who are sunning themselves down there as we speak. They don't seem to be scared, of either the market or the reported violence down there. The only hard part is to persuade my wife to come with me, and to convince myself I can still learn some Spanish.

No, on second thought, there is still plenty of the main US and Canada left to me to explore. And then, Alaska and the Yukon are beckoning. My wife is still not sold on traveling to those wilderness areas.

Maybe next summer, I will just show her Glacier NP and Banff on the itinerary, and once I get there, just keep going generally in the NW direction. Think that might work?

Had no idea Wellesley had done THAT well this year! Kudos to the Wellesley holders.
As I mentioned earlier, I have 1% in Wellesley. I have found that the only way I would remember to track something is to own it. I was going to buy more, then got greedy and wanted to ride my high-octane stocks a bit longer. Oops...

My style of investing is a lot whimsical than most people here. I tried not to take things too seriously. It's just money...

Last edited:
Given the volatility your return could change +/- 10% by year end.

My 401k is down (probably mostly due to international exposure), my conservative VG is up. Given the problems we've had this year, I consider that good.
TJ

And I thank you for not taking offense at my adjective of "manly", which might be construed as sexist. I do remember that you are the one making investment decisions rather than your husband, in addition to being the RV driver. Darn, my memory is GOOD!
Yes, your memory IS good! And I tend to gloss over adjectives like "manly" anyway - LOL!

Audrey

Yeah, today isn't helping. I thought those Euros solved the world's problems last week.

Don't worry the Euros will solve the problem tomorrow and the market will rally, until more problems with their solution will arise and the cycle will repeat.

The market this year is like a NBA game, just turn on the last 2 minutes (2 day) to see if you won or lost.

Yeah, today isn't helping. I thought those Euros solved the world's problems last week.
Euros is not going to be solved anytime soon. It's like watching an accident in slow motion. The moment market sees that Euros looks like veering away from the light pole, market goes up irrationally. Then sees that car is headed toward guardrail, then market goes down irrationally. In other words, market keep on reacting on perception of Euros until it comes to screeching halt. IMO, we'll continue this roller coaster until either Euros dissolved or wealthier Euro nations willing to share the burden of lesser nations debt. I only look at my 401k and IRA on Dec. 31 and do the AA on Jan. 1 of every year. But do dabble on individual stocks from time to time with my beer and womanizing money that I save on the side called Dirty Old Man Pleasure Fun (Pun intended):dance:

OK...I'll play...

2007 - 18.5
2008 - (34.3)
2009 - 36.5
2010 - 16.9
2011 - (2.4)

That looks like a wild ride to me :)

I'm stunned so many of you track these numbers so closely. I look at individual holdings to check their performance, but calculatng the total % return across all portfolio assets after allowing for all contribs and withdrawals feels too much like w*rk!

about - 3.5%, mainly index funds

real estate about +16%, not factoring in drop of real estate value, not planning to sell

67% investments / 33% real estate

I'm stunned so many of you track these numbers so closely. I look at individual holdings to check their performance, but calculatng the total % return across all portfolio assets after allowing for all contribs and withdrawals feels too much like w*rk!
For me it's just 1 button click in Quicken. And it takes care of contribs and withdrawals too.

Since my withdrawals are usually de minimis, I regard them as gravy and generally ignore them when checking portfolio returns.
The effort involved seems well spent since it's considerably less than that expended when I was employed, is about as rewarding as the compensation from my former employer and exclusively for my benefit as opposed to being largely for my employer's benefit.

Last edited:
Both VG and FIDO web sites give you this number.
TJ

As of yesterday's close (12/12/11), I'm just about flat. Down maybe 0.3%. Just about all of my mutual funds are down. My two bright spots are my Scottrade account, and an old 401k I have from my days with Boeing.

The Scottrade account, which has mainly individual stocks in it, plus two REITs and a gold fund, is up about 20%. The Boeing 401k is up around 13%, thanks partly to a bit of market timing, frequent rebalancing, or whatever you want to call it. It has just two components, Boeing common stock and a bond fund. Stock goes up enough and I move some to the bond fund. Stock goes down, and I buy some back.

For me it is just a couple clicks in Quicken.

I'm up about 9% YTD, although I'll admit I lucked out. Due to the fast runup in Q2/early Q3, I pulled 70% of my portfolio out of the market on July 21st, and then put about 50% back in on August 18th...which turned out to be excellent timing. Part of the reason for the 70% removal was a simple asset allocation move...but given the run-up I took out a lot more than I normally would have.

Given that I'm only about 3 years away from some sort of "change" (hard to define yet what that will look like), I'm slowly dialing back the equity exposure.

Back
Top Bottom